Whats next for Arcadia?

w8kbrder

11 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The sire you grabbed from doesn't allow hotlinking.

Bandai YF-21 would be awesome. Also a VF-11B while they're at it? If they're going for Macross 7 they may as well, since that'd get them the VF-11C as well.

Tried it from another site....I give up after that...lol

Yeah...also....I wonder if the license is acquired for an individual VF or for the entire line of VF's depicted in any given show...furthermore.....would a M7 license also include the M7 movies?

I hope not because I was rooting for an Arcadia VF-5000....but it may explain why they haven't entertained the idea....a shame because they had the license for M Dynamite....which gave us Gamlin's -22S and the Zolan -19P.....I really miss Yamato....:(

Oh man, the licensing conversation is always just reading tea leaves with this hobby. That said, I was told long ago that all licenses get re-bid when new shows are made so basically, forget what you know and what you've seen because all that might be changing while I type this. Of course, Bandai didn't care about Macross Zero last time around and it's a good bet they still won't so that seems to be a lock for Arcadia. Destroids though? Not that I don't want them but they sold horribly and almost certainly lost Yamato money so I wouldn't expect them. Yamato teased doing assembly kit destroids, I wonder if that'd be a possibility? 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I hate to be all doom and gloom but I believe "picking up the pace" in the face of competition that has an edge in every conceivable metric is just a way to go out of business very quickly. If I were at Arcadia, I'd be making the push to pick up a new license that Bandai doesn't care about... like they didn't care about Macross 15 years ago. Then I would just pop off a Macross reissue as demand dictated so I knew it would just be printing money. 

As much as I'd like Arcadia to pick up the pace, there really can't compete on equal terms with Bandai. I remember this was discussed a while back, that if Bandai ever released a competing VF-1 to Arcadia's VF-1, Arcadia would be in trouble.

I think the competition from Bandai is good, and it would be fantastic to see Arcadia spurred on to improve their VF-1 products and engineering, but they're just so small in comparison. It would be sad if they did abandon their ver 2 VF-1 line.

Are people really burnt out on the VF-1? It's the venerable design that I holds a special place in the heart of all Macross fans. Similar to the F-14 Tomcat. It just never gets old.

I just had a thought. Since the current VF-1s are largely a 9 year old version of a 36 year old design, how much more innovation are we expecting from these toys? At what point does "better" become simply "different"? I know that with the varying opinions, we could nit-pick anything to death.

5 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I just had a thought. Since the current VF-1s are largely a 9 year old version of a 36 year old design, how much more innovation are we expecting from these toys? At what point does "better" become simply "different"? I know that with the varying opinions, we could nit-pick anything to death.

I brought this up in the 1/48 thread.  I agree, we are quickly hitting the place where obvious improvements aren't possible; more like stylistic choices about what to emphasize on the vf-1.  Which, like you said, will always be subjective about who did it "better."  I'm glad to see a waist swivel, better articulated hands, and the gerwalk antenna back on the bandai 1/48, but these are pretty minor improvements in the grand scheme of things.

We could always go bigger and try to cram in more gimmicks ("magic hands," internal lights, sounds, things like that) but there isn't much economic incentive for a company to make a single, giant vf-1.  The money is in milking the mold for multiple releases, not making a single "definitive" release.  

6 hours ago, DewPoint said:

In this case, it really seems to be about battroid articulation. This thing looks to be able to pull off way more poses than a yamarcadia.

12 hours ago, DewPoint said:

maxresdefault.jpg

So does Bandai's 1/48 VF-1 announcement make it more likely or less likely that Arcadia will do a proper TV-Style SDF-1?

It's still the one key Macross holy grail that hasn't been done in modern times.

9 hours ago, Mog said:

So does Bandai's 1/48 VF-1 announcement make it more likely or less likely that Arcadia will do a proper TV-Style SDF-1?

It's still the one key Macross holy grail that hasn't been done in modern times.

I don’t think it will make any difference. If they plan to do it, they will do it when they can.

I know it’s not the size you were thinking but Megahouse released TV SDF-1s recently. 

On 7/26/2018 at 3:45 AM, seti88 said:

Better in the sense of material used, proportions, articulation, gimmicks and tampo markings.

Well, except where the tampo becomes obnoxious and then fans start complaining about it...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats art.

The other aspect of better tampo are higher resolution prints, vibrant color range, fit to edges or resistance to fading/peeling amongst many things. This to bandai's credit, I have seen them improve. Just looking at the sv-262 and the recent 31a gold wings on the skull leader emblem or the delta valks, that wow feeling you get when u notice the tampo while unboxing the valk.

Knock on wood, so far I feel bandai is on a roll and deserves the title of tampo-king for their quality of tampo.

edit* just realised this is an arcadia thread. So, in no way reflective of arcadia's efforts and not comparing the behemoth that is bandai in terms of resources.

Edited by seti88

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats art.

The other aspect of better tampo are higher resolution prints, vibrant color range, fit to edges or resistance to fading/peeling amongst many things. This to bandai's credit, I have seen them improve. Just looking at the sv-262 and the recent 31a gold wings on the skull leader emblem or the delta valks, that wow feeling you get when u notice the tampo while unboxing the valk.

Knock on wood, so far I feel bandai is on a roll and deserves the title of tampo-king for their quality of tampo.

edit* just realised this is an arcadia thread. So, in no way reflective of arcadia's efforts and not comparing the behemoth that is bandai in terms of resources.

Yup! you can do A LOT when you own Gundam and Sunrise.

There's still plenty VF battroid engineering to work on.

*retractable wings (better than the 1/72 model kit)

*reinvent a collapsible/sliding nose cone to completely eliminate the "priest collar"

* The DX chogokin 1J can kneel but doesn't seem to be able to do a full calf to hamstring squat.

*PT side covers 

*PT chair elevator.

*Better ankle pivot.

....Then pilot head articulation with a thumbs up arm as "cherry on top". 

14 minutes ago, jenius said:

I want to see a VF1 that has a pivot just below the chest so the nosecone can jut forward.

U mean to recess the head further down to hide the "priest collar"?

Just now, jenius said:

No, I mean so the crotch can pivot forward. It looks like bandai already solved the priest collar. What I'm asking for is a back joint essentially, below the chest plate, above the hips.

Something like the concord nosecone, except it tilts the other direction?

G-AXDN-Nose-down1.jpg

On 7/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

YF-21 please, Arcadia.

Bandai's just started on their 1/48 line, whereas Arcadia's finished the main bunch (aside from Kakizaki and VF-1As), plus being different scale. From here I could see Arcadia going straight to the more valuable VF-1 versions, like VT-1, VF-1D, VE-1. They could also focus on non-macross stuff for a bit, and let the various SV-51 hold them over while they try to (re)engineer something new.

Maybe they'll do a re-print of the Yamato VF-11? 

Yeah a reissue of the Yamato VF-11 would be really nice. But before that I would love to see them reissue the VF-1D...

Since they have already reissued the VF-4G, I don’t think this is too far a stretch. 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

So Wonderfest is done right? Arcadia seems to have hit this convention with a thud (from a Macross perspective at least).

Well, we got an update (albeit a pretty lackluster one) on the sv-51.  I wasn't expecting much from them in the vf-1 department; nothing they currently have can match the Bandai announcement.

I would have loved to see the rumored vf-0 ghost booster, but I guess that's why its a rumor.  Beyond that, I'm not really sure what else we could expect from them.