Yamato VF-11b 1/60: Pros & Cons

w8kbrder

Hi all,

So I'm super stoked to have the last piece of my Macross Plus puzzle together with my obtaining a VF-11b w/ super parts. Upon initial inspection, I noticed right off that it seems so much smaller than the YF-19 or YF-21. Everything tends to feel a bit more flimsy/smaller/lower quality. Possibly just me as I had the Arcadia 19 first, the 21 second, and now the 11. Of course I know this valk is not the hero of the film...but it is used a lot.

Pros:

-First off, I LOVE the fact that they used rare earth magnets to keep the super parts on the legs. This is genius and I have no idea why Arcadia has not incorporated this same technique with the 19. They are so easy to install/remove quickly without having to worry about breaking plastic micro-tabs. They shoudl have done this with the 21's leg/belly super parts as well!

-Love the cockpit idea...how it drops into the floor, the shield slides out from the body and covers it up all using a clever switch on the bottom of the fuselage. But it needs to be re-worked/tweaked. See cons.

-Landing gear bay doors are snug and don't flop open. Had this issue with the 21's front gear.

Cons:

-Is it me or does it feel like it is not a 1/60 scale? It feels so much smaller and less detailed than the 1/60 19 and 21. I would say its lack of die cast, but the 21 has a lack of die cast and it still feels solid. In the film...the 11 and the 21 seem to be the same size...especially when in gerwalk mode when it carries the 21 on its back. Maybe just me.

-Lack of die cast.

-Orange cockpit shield....this is super loose. When in battroid mode, I can't even get the lower portion of the shield to stay up. I've tried everything. Was hoping I could use the switch to raise the cockpit up against the shield to keep it from falling down..but that doesn't work.

-Really hard to get it to stand on its on in battroid mode without making the legs in some silly looking position. No where near as much articulation as other valks...mainly in the hips. Wish those little plastic tabs were metal.

So thats its. I still love this valk. Its some ways its a bummer....but in others, its super easy to transform and mess with. Nothing super difficult. I know this is old hat to most of you...but there still seems to be a lot of people out there that have mentioned wanting to obtain a VF-11 but haven't had the chance. I still think its worth it...especially to have the "trifecta" of MP valks together. Dull grey...yes. But meshes perfetly with the blue 21 and the white 19.

20150522_103408_zpsxw01koab.jpg

The above pic if my abosolute favorite feature of this valk. I know they had issues with the rainbow clear coat...but it looks so cool when you remove the shield and pop up the canopy.

20150522_103254_zps1t2hxfhr.jpg

20150522_103315_zpsllnxdm4d.jpg

20150522_103451_zpsxpdvmwiu.jpg

20150522_114337_zpsc6kduotu.jpg

20150522_111537_zpsf9ed7rfc.jpg

20150522_111509_zps3krevb7h.jpg

Edited by w8kbrder

Both the VF-1, and VF-11 valkyries are smaller in size than the 19/21 and onwards at the same scale. That's just how they are. I am pretty sure no one can get the heatshield closed in one graceful motion on the first try. If there were to be a v2, I think it would benefit greatly from the same tightening up and added diecast that arcadia's zero's are getting.

Regarding the lower part of the heatshield you have to pull hard until you hear a click. Then it stays up without any trouble.

As Chaotic Yeti said, the VF-11 is smaller than the YF-21 and the YF-19.

Regarding the lower part of the heatshield you have to pull hard until you hear a click. Then it stays up without any trouble.

Getting a good hold on it is my issue.

I like the 11, but never understood the gushing over it. Mine was semi-floppy out the box and now doesn't stand up without being propped against the back of the shelf. And I have transformed it maybe 5 times. It looks great in fighter and battroid, I dunno, maybe I just got Yamatoed on that one. The heat shield was a pain to do the first time, took someone on the MW forums to figure it out correctly.

Edited by derex3592

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah this is just recycling the old 11b/c threads all over again...

though those threads are so buried and hard to navigate to them.

The heat shield is the worse thing about this valk. I've never been able to close it properly. I can get the lower piece to lock but can't get the top piece to lock with the bottom. Also half of the tab that locks the neck into fighter mode broke so the front nose/cockpit area is barely holding in fighter mode. I expect it to break eventually. Anyone know any fixes?

Guest davidwhangchoi

The heat shield is the worse thing about this valk. I've never been able to close it properly. I can get the lower piece to lock but can't get the top piece to lock with the bottom.

can't say much on the broken nose, but the heatshield issues has been talked to death about how to close it properly

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29300&p=744734

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah read all those posts as well as many youtube videos and it didn't help. Considering how easy it looks in some of those videos I'm wondering if it's a particular defect with my copy.

if it's the bottom part that's sinking, that's a pain... for some it's really slippery and hard to get a grip to actually get it locked in place.

if it's the bottom part that's sinking, that's a pain... for some it's really slippery and hard to get a grip to actually get it locked in place.

I take out the cockpit to get a better grip of the lower portion of the heatshield, then I put the cockpit back in. After that, sliding the top part of the heatshield is really easy.

Oh, guess you did get it, then, eh? ;)

It's been a long time since I last transformed this thing, but I thought I remembered that part of the heat shield staying up on this particular model once snapped in place. Did you try yanking harder as suggested earlier in the thread?

But yeah there was a reason I kept it stored with the heat shield deployed. Plus, I kind of like the look of the fighter mode with heat shield deployed (especially on this valk).

Oh, guess you did get it, then, eh? ;)

It's been a long time since I last transformed this thing, but I thought I remembered that part of the heat shield staying up on this particular model once snapped in place. Did you try yanking harder as suggested earlier in the thread?

But yeah there was a reason I kept it stored with the heat shield deployed. Plus, I kind of like the look of the fighter mode with heat shield deployed (especially on this valk).

Yep I got it. Great valk in great shape. And I did get the heat shield figured out. Took the pod out first...pulled the bottom heat shield up till it clicked.

I think its inb the top 3 Yamato toys, personally. The heatshield is a pain i agree, but otherwise its super easy to transform and looks great in all modes. mine is still in great shape so many years and transformations later

Agreed. Love it. Edited by w8kbrder

Fighter mode looks pretty accurate to lineart (anymoon.com) and the best looking mode of the design (IMO). Battroid looks good too.

My only regret is not getting more than 1...so currently its sitting in battroid mode. If they ever re-release it I'll be getting one more for fighter mode.

That's just criminal. Transform it, man!

yeah I know I should but you know how I am with my stuff.. And besides it has a nice fine layer of dust on it which I really don't want to disturb! hehe! :lol:

I don't think I'd ever bother getting another "B" but a "C" variant might eventually happen! if I can find one that's not asking a total BS price that is.. <_<

What do you mean that it's hard to stand up in Battroid? Is there some floppy leg syndrome with this Valk? My C's stand up just fine. I don't own a B, however, so maybe there was a tweak made between the molds to help with that?

Of the three M+ valks, I think the 11 had the least amount of compromises, and the final result is about as close to perfect as you can get with a toy at this scale. The heatshield is a pain, but not too bad once you find a reliable method. Magnets were a fantastic idea for the packs, and I think Arcadia should have carried on the practice.

Anyway, it's one of my favorite valks, and mine is still nice and tight, and looks great on my shelf. I haven't put him in fighter in quite some time, so I may have to do so, just because. ;)

I think the 11 is probably one of the best molds Yamato came out with. My only gripes with it are pretty minor.. mostly, the main gear being so short it looks silly, and that I think that the locking tab for the nose section really needed to be beefier.

I think the 11 is probably one of the best molds Yamato came out with. My only gripes with it are pretty minor.. mostly, the main gear being so short it looks silly, and that I think that the locking tab for the nose section really needed to be beefier.

The locking section for the nose could have been a super strong magnet and been a lot safer.

In the end I love my VF-11B and with the fast packs on shes a deadly looking fighter. The only two complaints I've always had about it, even long before I finally bought one (Thank you again David) is the rear-landing gear as its really low to the ground and second the rear-stabilizers, much like the older 1/72 version they are much smaller than the Anime & line art.

If Arcadia ever decided to do a reissue of both VF-11's I'd love to see those issues resolved. As for the cockpit locking up, I've so far never had a issue with that. It's a beauty in all three modes, easy to transform and solid. No floppy parts or anything breaking. Despite my nitpicks it still gets an A+ rating! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

The VF-11B I bought unfortunately has some issues that has me keep it permanently in fighter mode, but if there's one pro I can name it's that the fighter mode looks great. I also love how easily the Super parts snap into place onto the back of the fighter; pretty much every other set of Yamato Super/FAST packs has given me trouble in some way (difficulties attaching/removing, causing damage to the valk in some way etc.), so the ease-of-use with the VF-11's Supers was a great change of pace.

Whoa!!?? An 11 in armor!? Wicked! Never remember seeing that though! What series is this shot from!?

I'm pretty sure that's just from Macross 7, but it's been over a decade since I last saw 7 so it's very possible I may have simply dreamed it. :lol:

Great toy. My 11C and B are some of the few non SDF toys I have from Yamato.

My only complaint is that the upper body seems a little top heavy in batroid.

He looks best, to me, in a neutral pose.