Watched it over the weekend. I loved it. Totally forgot the 'Amazing' movies and Spider-Man 3. I love the twists too. There's still some small gripes about it but it didn't ruin the whole experience. Would love to see how things evolve esp the unexpected twist in the next installments. ;)

6 hours ago, Mommar said:

Doesn't just feel like it, it's paunfully blatant.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is the MCU allergic to people having a secret identity? Just reading around and Aunt May found out?? Maybe it's me and I would think there are a lot of sick frakkers out there but shouldn't he be a little more careful about his night-time activiy-persona? That's just my gripe.

What the F - the whole audience broke out into laughter.

But yes, to your point everyone in the MCU might as well wear name badges when they go into battle.

-b.

27 minutes ago, Mommar said:

When you're doing something just to show yourself doing it it's always bad.

Agreed to that, along with the choice for whats-her-face.  I don't see her fitting the role very well...

20 minutes ago, Mommar said:

When you're doing something just to show yourself doing it it's always bad.

Marvel has made a concerted efforts in comics to diversify their heroes and/or shake the status quo. Spider-Man (Ultimate) Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Hawkeye, and probably more that I don't know of and I can see them extending those efforts to the MCU past Nick Fury.

When those types of changes are made, to iconic characters no less, including the one I think we're talking about, it's bound to show. There's no hiding it.

IMHO I don't see Marvel tooting its horn about it, just a change to an icon in the Spider-Man mythos - one that you can't help but see - whether that be in the beginning, middle or end of the movie.

Not trying to argue or anything, and I don't fault you or anyone else for not liking the change(s) but I give credit for Marvel/Sony Spider-Man for trying to differentiate themselves from Sony Spider-Man and 5 other movies.

-b.

SPOILERS!

First off, I really liked what they did here, throwing away unnecessary conventions is precisely the right way to handle this after having rebooted twice in a decade.

Tony Stark is a wonderful alternate to the whole losing uncle Ben thing. A hot younger Aunt May makes far more sense than an almost grandmotherly naieve aunt

And getting her to find out npw was both hilarious, amd sets up for extended outtings with The Avengers. Considering Tony is pro-registration, it would only be a matter of time before he made Peter officially reveal his powers anyway. Likely the only reason he hadn't, and was trying to keep him a "friendly neigborhood Spidey," was so that he could finish high school, and have a normal childhood first.

I also have zero problem with Zendaya as MJ. She cleans up cute, her character is sharper than Peter, and I found her humorous. Wanting to be an artist over actress is no issue for me either.

Edited by Keith

8 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Marvel has made a concerted efforts in comics to diversify their heroes and/or shake the status quo. Spider-Man (Ultimate) Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Hawkeye, and probably more that I don't know of and I can see them extending those efforts to the MCU past Nick Fury.

Their comics are also selling spectacularly horrible now because they're changing just for show and the stories are getting more and more stupid/horrible as they shoe-horn in more and more of this bs.

4 hours ago, Keith said:

SPOILERS!

Reveal hidden contents

First off, I really liked what they did here, throwing away unnecessary conventions is precisely the right way to handle this after having rebooted twice in a decade.

Tony Stark is a wonderful alternate to the whole losing uncle Ben thing. A hot younger Aunt May makes far more sense than an almost grandmotherly naieve aunt

And getting her to find out npw was both hilarious, amd sets up for extended outtings with The Avengers. Considering Tony is pro-registration, it would only be a matter of time before he made Peter officially reveal his powers anyway. Likely the only reason he hadn't, and was trying to keep him a "friendly neigborhood Spidey," was so that he could finish high school, and have a normal childhood first.

I also have zero problem with Zendaya as MJ. She cleans up cute, her character is sharper than Peter, and I found her humorous. Wanting to be an artist over actress is no issue for me either.

Spoiler

It's awfully soon in the films IMO but in the Ultimate Comics Aunt May knew Peter was Spider-Man in relatively short order.  Tom Holland said he based his Peter on the Ultimate Comics and a lot of other stuff is obviously lifted from them too.

Enjoyed it. I like the diversity in the cast. Michael Keaton showed that he is really a good actor and per universe, he is somewhat relate-able.

If anything I would not like about the movie is:

No Spider sense and the fact that there was too much gimmick in the suit provided to him by Tony.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

Their comics are also selling spectacularly horrible now because they're changing just for show and the stories are getting more and more stupid/horrible as they shoe-horn in more and more of this bs.

The comics weren't selling well before the changes.

Either way, the change in question was a very small part of this Spider-Man movie. We'll just have to see how it plays out in future films - but if it's not for you then it's not for you. All good.

-b.

7 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Hide contents

No Spider sense and the fact that there was too much gimmick in the suit provided to him by Tony.

I'm still don't agree with the 'techin of the suit when I saw it back in the trailers.

On 7/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, chyll2 said:

Enjoyed it. I like the diversity in the cast. Michael Keaton showed that he is really a good actor and per universe, he is somewhat relate-able.

Reveal hidden contents

It's not in this movie but the film makers are leaving it open for use in subsequent installments. 

Agreed on most points pointed out by everyone. I felt that 'Karen' is too much. And yes, no Spider-sense.

Maybe it's still part of that 'evolving' stage? Or maybe he need to do something or wear something to have it? I have a feeling they will tackle this down the line. Because for sure, Marvel is doing this on purpose -- they're not going to make Peter Spider-senseless, right?

Half in the Bag review, since I know a lot of you are fans of theirs (Spider-Man starts around 23:51):

Finally saw it yesterday. I'd been avoiding this thread like the plague and yet was persistently tempted by that damnable little star icon. :D Anyway, some thoughts:

I'm starting to get tired of the lightheartedness of the MCU. I liked this movie a lot, especially compared to Amazing, but I'd like the MCU as a whole to move along a bit more quickly. The problems the comics face are starting to rear their ugly heads here, too. Ideally, it'd be nice if Avengers 3 offered a decisive ending to the whole MCU. Continue with sequels, but let this overarching story see itself to a conclusion.

But as for this movie in particular:

- I'm glad it decided to lean on its being part of the MCU, because trying to be just a Spider-man movie would have simply drawn unfavorable comparisons to Raimi Spider-man.

- The comedy was gold. The CapAm cameos, man.

- The Vulture was great. Loved the little twist 2/3 through the movie about him being The Crush's father. And then figuring out Peter's identity just a few minutes later... Man.

- Actually, the casting was great all around. The Shocker(s), especially. Really good job done there.

- Not sure how I feel about New Spidey having a New Sidekick, or the change to Peter's character, but they do a great job making this Spider-man work for this movie in this context. It's handled way more masterfully than the similar changes made to Superman in Man of Steel. Marvel just keeps showing DC how it's done.

- That final scene of the movie, man. I mean, it's no this...

...but again, it works really well nonetheless. It's comfortable in its own skin. Two thumbs up.

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw this in the theater and I thought it was excellent! Most satisfyingly movie theater experience in a minute; though baby driver was also very good.

It wasn't perfect but they hit all the right notes IMHO, and I enjoyed it far more than any previous Spider-Man incarnation.

Highly recommended; do yourself a favor and check it out. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...