Early this year, it was announced that Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures signed an agreement to bring Spider-Man into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Both companies will produce yet another Spider-Man reboot, which is slated for release on July 28, 2017. Here are the details so far:

- According to Marvel president Kevin Feige, this reboot will not have an origin story, but would take inspiration from Batman Begins. Compared to the previous films, Spidey will retain his humorous side.
- Jon Watts (Clown, Cop Car) has signed on as the director.
- British actor Tom Holland (Billy Elliot the Musical) is the new Peter Parker.

- Oscar-winning actress Marisa Tomei (Mona Lisa Vito in My Cousin Vinny, Cassidy in The Wrestler) is the new Aunt May. Is this character getting younger in every reboot?

Spider-Man Reboot: No Origin, Lots of Humor
Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios Find Their Spider-Man Star and Director

Edited by areaseven

> Next you'll be telling me Ben Afflack (quack) is going to be Batman . . .

Even worse, Michael Keaton WAS Batman...

How is that worse?

They never learn, they should make a good sequel for the Punisher and put him in the Marvel/ Avengers universe.

Meh. I like the odd Punisher/Spider-Man or Punisher/Daredevil team up, but Punisher and the Avengers always struck me as a bad mix. I'd say a Netflix TV series, ala Daredevil, would work best for Punisher.

As for Spidey, I think it's easy to be cynical and roll our eyes at yet another Spider-Man reboot, but skipping the origin, focusing on the humorous side of Spidey, tying it to the MCU, and having Kevin Feige involved are all good things as far as I'm concerned. Asa Butterfield's a little baby-faced (he looks like an 18-year old playing a 14-year old), but I think he could work. For now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

No offer to Asa Butterfield was on the table. Tom Holland was also given a test. Word is, they had a negotiated a contract for a screen test. In essence, they made a contract to "interview" the 2 candidates.

Never saw any of the LAST Spider-man reboot. To me, Toby Maguire IS Spiderman.

Next you'll be telling me Ben Afflack (quack) is going to be Batman . . .

Wow cause Andrew Garfield was a lot better.

Wow cause Andrew Garfield was a lot better.

Yeah, Garfield was a lot closer to Peter Parker than Maguire ever was. Maguire was pretty much just playing himself. I thought Garfield nailed the character; they just wasted him.

Yeah, Garfield was a lot closer to Peter Parker than Maguire ever was. Maguire was pretty much just playing himself. I thought Garfield nailed the character; they just wasted him.

I'm sorry but emo skate punk who thinks "With great power comes great responsibility" is something of a joke is not how I pictured Peter Parker.

I'm sorry but emo skate punk who thinks "With great power comes great responsibility" is something of a joke is not how I pictured Peter Parker.

Emo skate punk? I do not think that means what you think it means.

Garfield was a good Spidey and I liked the first one with him in it. Nothing Emo about him and he came off as likable and charming where he needed to be. They just wasted him is all.

I'm not on this Asa Butterfield thing though. He failed to impress me in Ender's Game...

Garfield was a good Spidey and I liked the first one with him in it. Nothing Emo about him and he came off as likable and charming where he needed to be. They just wasted him is all.

I'm not on this Asa Butterfield thing though. He failed to impress me in Ender's Game...

That's the thing, Garfield was a great Peter/Spider-Man in a bad-ish film. The first one didn't bother me, the second one wasn't good though.

I also agree about Butterfield.

I'm optimistic for a Spider-man movie with ties to the MCU. They're basically printing money at this point, and although I know some were disappointed with AoU, I think that Cap: Civil War has great potential (especially given that it's helmed by the same guys who handled Winter Soldier) and likewise (for similar reasons) Infinity War.

A Netflix series for Punisher would be just about perfect. Update the origin so that he's a OEF vet instead of Vietnam and you're off.

I was hoping for an older more 'veteran' Spider-man for the MCU, since we've done the teenage one to death, imo, but when I think about it, having a younger super-hero involved will be a decent contrast to the current band of heroes in the MCU, who are all vets at the top of their game at this point. And perhaps this can set Spidey up as the de-facto leader of the 'next wave' of Avengers.

A7, that video. :wacko::D Her giggle at the end. LOL I just woke up, and clicked on it for the heck of it. Nice start to the day. Thanks. :)

You should watch her Star Wars videos, as well as her videos of Avatar, The Matrix, Titanic, and Inception. Very enlightening.

Edited by areaseven

I will hold my opinion of the cast after watching the movie. When the previous reboot was shown in trailers, my perception was a bit negative for casting Andrew Garfield. I said to myself, Toby is a better spiderman and why not just continue and try to correct the mess they've done.

After watching it though, my opinion has changed and I really like how fun Andrew's Spidy is. (of course I respect your opinion if you say Toby is still the better one)

Now that Marvel Studios is partially involved, I will trust their judgement on this one.

I liked Tobey's Peter Parker better. I think he did a better job of playing the nerd who gets bullied waking up one morning with spider powers. Garfield's Peter Parker had the smarts, but he was too "cool".

On the other hand, I liked Garfield's Spider-Man better than Tobey's. Garfield's Spidey really nailed the wisecracking smart-alecky webslinger of the comics. Also, although it's probably not fair to compare (since the webslinging in the first Spidey was mind-blowing at the time), but I thought the way Spidey moved in the Garfield films was better.

As good as Tobey and Andy were, in their own ways, I'm cautiously optimistic that with Kevin Feige and Marvel's involvement we might get a Spider-Man movie that doesn't suck, which is all I really want. The Amazing Spider-Man was just ok, ASM2 was awful. As for Tobey's Spider-Man films, all I can say is go back and re-watch them. The first one holds up pretty well, and the third is as bad as you remember, but the second? I remember thinking at the time that it was just as good as the first, but it doesn't at all. In fact, I think it might actually be worse than 3.

So, not a reboot, which I would say would redo everything, including the origin.

If it's just another tale of Spiderman with a new actor, I'm okay with it. It's what we need.

A continuing story and not yet another take on the origin theme. I'm tired of them always starting from the beginning.

Let's finally carry on with the character.