Do you prefer TV or DYRL paint scheme?

Between the TV & DYRL, do you guys prefer the original TV paint scheme or DYRL version?

I think only Fokker has the same paint, but I actually prefer the single color stripe from the TV vs Color/Black tone, and as for Max i prefer the full blue instead of white with Blue/Red stripes.

And a side note i prefer the uniforms in TV for both Normal & Pilot suit vs DYRL. I know DYRL version looks more realistic but still i prefer the TV ver.

As for VF-1S, somehow i never like anything other than Fokker's, I prefer VF-1J over VF-1S for Hikaru & Max, something to do with the head.

Typically I prefer the DYRL paint schemes because they are more detailed and interesting. But I must say I do like more color as opposed to less, so things like Max's TV color scheme is better because there is more blue on his VF-1A and especially on his VF-1J. I guess I'd like a DYRL style with more colored panels to make it less white.

I rather enjoy the differences in animation style from TV to film, neither one really trumping the other but both are interesting. It's mostly to do with the shadows, how the TV ones feel more 'white' while the DYRL valkyries have harder, darker shadows. And of course, the DYRL style manipulators (hands) are better.

post-114-0-96517800-1430926968_thumb.gif

post-114-0-94116400-1430926992_thumb.gif

I prefer the DYRL scheme because it is more uniform so I can assume that they are all one squad. Vermilion Squad never looks like a real military unit to me. I also really like the black stripes that brings a bit more contrast to the scheme. Especially the Max and Hikaru Valkyries benefit from that in my opinion.

Do the toys replicate the hands between TV & DYRL?

I prefer the simpler hands, the newer hands looks too Gundamish.

Typically I prefer the DYRL paint schemes because they are more detailed and interesting. But I must say I do like more color as opposed to less, so things like Max's TV color scheme is better because there is more blue on his VF-1A and especially on his VF-1J. I guess I'd like a DYRL style with more colored panels to make it less white.

I rather enjoy the differences in animation style from TV to film, neither one really trumping the other but both are interesting. It's mostly to do with the shadows, how the TV ones feel more 'white' while the DYRL valkyries have harder, darker shadows. And of course, the DYRL style manipulators (hands) are better.

With the exception of the hands and perhaps the canopy, in theory, the tv and dyrl versions of the VF-1J should both look the same....

Are you perhaps referring to the Macross the First VF-1J?

They don't look the same with the color scheme, also the VF-1S only looks good in Fokker Scheme.

They don't look the same with the color scheme, also the VF-1S only looks good in Fokker Scheme.

Although the VF-1J is only seen wearing GBP armor in the film, with the exceptions I noted, there is no reason why it should look any different than the TV version...

Look them up here:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html

The VF-1S "also" looks great in DYRL Max colors....

As for VF-1S, somehow i never like anything other than Fokker's, I prefer VF-1J over VF-1S for Hikaru & Max, something to do with the head.

What about this guy? :D

post-720-0-59066500-1430998467_thumb.png

In all seriousness, I generally prefer the TV series aesthetically, but DYRL is definitely more realistic, both in terms of paint and mechanics(read as: hands).

Do the toys replicate the hands between TV & DYRL?

I prefer the simpler hands, the newer hands looks too Gundamish.

Many of the VF-1 toys will have one style or the other, or both. I know some of my old Yamato accessory sets came with multiple sets of different hands, like the armored set. I think the new Arcadia figures are DYRL-style exclusively, but you may want to research more about that since I only have one figure.

I don't like the old, rounded TV hands. But to each their own.

IMO, the old TV hands always looked outdated on the VF-1 Valkyrie and their articulation capability was always questionable. I think they are a remnant of the old super robot aesthetic with little reason to be on a real robot. I can understand why Kawamori and Co. changed them to the more realistic articulation of the DYRL style and have gone with a similar style on every valkyrie since.

I prefer DYRL for several reasons, but one of them is because the valkyries Hikaru, Max and Kakizaki fly seem less hero-mechy. Yes they still are a little because they are not "cannon-fodder" brown. But the color schemes are part of the squadron colors so it makes a little more sense.

In the TV series, they have different color Valkyries for no obvious reason other then because the are main characters that need to be differentiated from the rest. Especially Kakizaki.

I'm abit confuse when Max & Rick use VF-1S if he uses the VF-1J in DYRL.

The hands do look different, the TV ver. looks more suitable while DYRL looks more realistic but too Gundamish.

Although the VF-1J is only seen wearing GBP armor in the film, with the exceptions I noted, there is no reason why it should look any different than the TV version...

Look them up here:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html

The VF-1S "also" looks great in DYRL Max colors....

Not bad, but whose VF-1S it belongs to?

What about this guy? :D
attachicon.gifvf-1s-dyrl-kakizaki-battroid.png

In all seriousness, I generally prefer the TV series aesthetically, but DYRL is definitely more realistic, both in terms of paint and mechanics(read as: hands).

I'm abit confuse when Max & Rick use VF-1S if he uses the VF-1J in DYRL.

Not bad, but whose VF-1S it belongs to?

In DYRL...Hikaru is seen piloting the VF-1A, VT-1, and VF-1S......depending on which version of DYRL you watch he is also seen piloting a VF-4....

vf-1a-fastpack-battroid_small.gifvf-1a-dyrl-hikaru-battroid_small.gif

vt-1-fastpack-fighter_small.gif

vf-1s-strike-hikaru-battroid_small.gif

vf-4-styled-fighter_small.gif

In the DYRL VF-1J with GBP armor sequence....it is being piloted by someone else...not sure if that pilot is ever officially identified....

dyrl_vf1ja_857.png

Note that in the film version of the GBP-1J...the tips of the missiles are yellow....in the the TV version the missile tips are red....

The VF-1S with blue stripe is seen in DYRL being piloted by Max.....

Edited by jvmacross

That's not Basara's Valk, though.

Then either I'm a liar or Basara is only the SECOND-best pilot in the franchise.

All I'm saying is there has to be a reason Millia chose to kill Kakizaki with her first shot.

Edited by JB0

Then either I'm a liar or Basara is only the SECOND-best pilot in the franchise.

All I'm saying is there has to be a reason Millia chose to kill Kakizaki with her first shot.

Well, I know from experience that you're not a liar... so you must be right!

Man, I'm always learning something new here!

I'm not sure if you're suggesting Millia killed Kakizaki because he was the best pilot, or because he was romantic competition for Max. Either way is pretty funny, though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

That's a lie, the best pilot by far is dryl Misa piloting the VT-1. that's why she's rick's boss. the worse pilot is isamu, crashed that simulator so many times.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting Millia killed Kakizaki because he was the best pilot, or because he was romantic competition for Max. Either way is pretty funny, though.

I was thinking she surprise-headshotted him because she knew she couldn't take him, but I think I like your interpretation better. :p

Neither. They should all by Low Viz grey or gtfo.

While I'm inclined to agree, when they are all seen in VF-1S's, they'd be sporting their colors anyway, CAG's bird is always painted in the Squadron Colors (Hero colors in this case). So I'd have to say DRYL.