M+ ghost X-9

Xigfrid

I am trying to decide if I should go further and make a resin kit of this X-9 or not. I need to know if I got enough interest to launch a production series. As many of you know, the minimum quantity is 20 for a production series.

Price for an unassembled/unpainted version would average between 170-200 USD.

Description:

Total of 25-30 parts, mix of resin parts, 1x clear canopy and 5x flexible 3D printed parts.

All the parts are assembled and stay together with 4 screws for the X-9; 2 screws for the Super parts.

Retractable wings

Retractable bottom wing

Options:

1) mounting+painting

2) Retractable wheels (3D printed steel parts with rubber tires and flexible plastic assembly

Since painting and wheels material costs really changes with number, tell if you want any of the options or not, that would be helpful

Thanks everyone for the support!

Just received the new parts for the ghost, all of them are great, so the X-9 is still in progressing.

I also received the 38mm scale Sharon. Even before sanding and priming she was so great that I decided to add two versions of it into my shop. I love it displayed with the Ghost, but it can also match the YF-19 or 21 if you feel so!

post-15880-0-46671900-1451426407_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-48060000-1451426557_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-07617000-1451426558_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-63236500-1451426558_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-50168900-1451426576_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-22735400-1451426583_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-73704600-1451426583_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't interested as I couldnt think how to display it effectively but then took another look at your design parked on the runway and thought with a few figures like that guy in the overalls around it working on it, it would look brilliant!

Where do I sign up?

Where did the overalls guy come from?

Using a Gopro mount to work on the ghost? Nice!

Edited by NZEOD

Sharon is also sexy and deculture!

NZEOD, I am making a list of confirmed interested people to see if I can get near the 20 mark. Here mainly, I got also a few in PM.

With the ones I got now, it convinced me to work on the current parts and make new parts. For example the 3 wings, the smaller one has even been 3D printed in ultra detail.

I still need to work on the inside of these parts if they need to be recast. And I also need to source the rubber tires and the clear part.

That's some money that I would throw if I am sure to have some backup.

That wasn't a GoPro but a Pentax with a 35mm I offered to my wife for Christmas ;)

Edited by Xigfrid

Currently, we are speaking of 150 usd unpainted, 50$ for painting and 40$ for metal&plastic&rubber wheels.

If I am sure of getting 20+ orders, price will drop for sure.

I don't know yet price for the clear canopy and the rubber tires. So this is subject to changes.

Do you think there is a need for real rubber tyres?

Well the wheel support had to be in metal, then making a great looking tire out of 3D print metal seems challenging. So in my opinion, the smartest way is to go with rubber tires.

I have got a great deal with the guy selling me the cars, so in final, compared to the printed parts, the rubber is cheap. I am provisioning enough rubber for 10 ghosts, and I think I could still source a few additional cars if needed.

Have you looked into rubber O-rings? They're a bit doughnut-like due to them being torus shaped, but they are available in an almost limitless variety on inner-outer diameter combinations, purchasable from several sources both online and brick-and-mortar, and would cost a fraction of the price of scavenging tires off random toy cars.

Have you looked into rubber O-rings? They're a bit doughnut-like due to them being torus shaped, but they are available in an almost limitless variety on inner-outer diameter combinations, purchasable from several sources both online and brick-and-mortar, and would cost a fraction of the price of scavenging tires off random toy cars.

I have bought a set of European O-rings, the standard sizes give a shape that is just not doing it: too thin in general. In addition, the wheels would have to be concave to secure the 0-ring in position, which is not a 3D-printer "friendly".

I have been speaking with a Russian manufacturer, Chinese ones and I have even been looking into the 1:64 slotcar tires. At this point, it seems complicated to completely revamp the tire design because of the dimensions that would have to be double checked again, but I know what can be done, and I have a set of different size rubbers that can be easily sourced if I ever need to design a wheel again.

Thanks Golden Arms

They do make a rubber in black that can be recasted. I asked a distributor of liquid resin and rubber, and it is possible to do. It is out there, but if you are able to use a pre-made tire, that would be of a much higher quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Great video! I also love to design for shapeways sls printers, trickier than what was showed in the video if you take into account the sanding and finish to obtain a smooth finish.

I would love to make only that but I also need to think about the recast process and this is another additional step, and for this X-9, I also made it entirely fitting together with only screws, no glue. Not mentioning the with moving parts and other stuffs!

Well! Its design is complete and I am very happy with it! I hope to have good news sooner or later!

Stay tuned and I also take note of interested people !

Edited by Xigfrid