M+ ghost X-9

Xigfrid

Thank you so much Jasonc! This first page is exactly what I needed. I was having a few issues with the head > body junction and now I know how to make it nicely

It is just about identical to the VF-1 in length it seems, but with much more body and less wing. The functions of how the missile bays open, the fast packs, etc. It's all pretty cool.

That would be impossible to have the same level of detail, but I can have a look and make one available in WSF material from shapeways if the quality is sufficient for your need

Awesome... I wouldn't need it to be extremely detailed. I would sand the parts, graph the panel lines and add greeblies to it if that was necessary. I would like the bulk of the model and correct proportions mainly.

If something like that was possible with the M+ drone it would also be superb..

Edited by 007-vf1

Thank you so much Jasonc! This first page is exactly what I needed. I was having a few issues with the head > body junction and now I know how to make it nicely

The MF Ghosts are proportionally different, but structurally similar, so the Bandai kits should provide some help, too. Good photo reference here:

http://dalong.net/review/etc/mf05/mf05_p.htm

Do you plan on including the boosters as an all in one design, or as a separate variant? Would the wings be movable as well? Too many questions too soon? :huh:

The boosters are planned to be included, but they are even a greater challenge with the folding-up wings. A little too soon to confirm how everything will be implemented yet.

In thinking of how it could work, if there's line art of where the boosters connect, I'd maybe make them to where they connect via friction (ala the hardpoints on the Arcadia wings on two ends or where they're supposed to fit. For the folding wings, maybe designing a place for a metal hinge like the older V.2 Yamato??? Just quick ideas.

Great ideas! If I knew how to design it in CAD I would make the boosters connect zero fast pack style with magnets ( extruded to fit magnet shape/size).

For the wings I'd notch the wings to allow them only one way of travel and prevent them from drooping the other direction.

I'd make the hinge so that it'd be able to move in/out of the fuselage a little. That way in fighter mode the wings would be flush to the fuselage with no signs of the hinge but when you want to fold the wings you just pull it out slightly then fold.

A few great ideas there, thank you.

The problem with all these mechanisms is: are they largely available, as well as in Europe or in the USA? Like I have always avoided using screws because you can't find easily the same size on the two sides of the Atlantic.

A few great ideas there, thank you.

The problem with all these mechanisms is: are they largely available, as well as in Europe or in the USA? Like I have always avoided using screws because you can't find easily the same size on the two sides of the Atlantic.

If you use metal hinge pins, like Yamato, you can probably search amazon, and see what would work best, or in the case of the Yamato pins (the good ones), I can take a measurment and tell you what pins those are. I'll need to get my digital caliper out for them, but those are in mm. For the wing to not droop, there's an easy design to prevent that, that would make it flush with the body when deployed, but be able to fold inward only. Don't remember the exact term for the design, but I'm sure you are already aware of it, Xigrid. I'd be more worried about the landing gear. That's work.

Yeah, so good to see the project alive and kicking ! Any prevision about schedule and - the most important - the final price ?

I think you can create two version: the standart version, just the Ghost in a stick - ops, stand ! - and the Deluxe version, with boosters, landing gear and missile bay. Some of us just want the model to complet the collection , other guys like me want a replica as good as the real thing. My two cents for the forum !

I got an idea for the wings, but because I want it to be as simple as possible, I will try to figure out a rotation mechanism that would work in only one plastic part, without metal rods or with sliding plastic parts such as Arcadia's canopy/gears' bays. It also should "click" when the wings are in deployed position.

Schedule: it is too soon to have an idea. It could be on pre-order before Christmas but not sure because I have in parallel an another smaller Macross Zero project right now.

Price should be lower than $200 with all options. I am thinking of making landing gears as an accessory that could be printed in steel from shapeways. So for those who doesnt want them, they can just keep the traps in closed position.

The missile bay and boosters cannot be made separated from the main body, they need to be of the same finish and quality of the rest of the ghost. As an engineer, what I really like when designing are the moving parts and inter-connections between things. I would also love to make transforming toys, my Macross Zero project can be transforming though, I am still trying to figure how to do it! I would leave to others the designs that are just an external shape.

... but not sure because I have in parallel an another smaller Macross Zero project right now.

Please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also love to make transforming toys, my Macross Zero project can be transforming though, I'm trying to figure how to do it!

I'm thinking 1/60 Monster with transforming grab hands. No? :lol:

Please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, please say Cheyenne, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not this, but I have always wondered why Yamato haven't made this one, it is the destroid screened in the most aggressive scene against the bad hero guy and it did pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...