Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

Lots of info there just don't get stuck on the few words "lost in translation"...I assume you can figure out what the correct term is based on the context of text, pics, etc.  I find the more technical words or "Macross-specific" stuff get the machine translator confused.  Google Translate gets better all the time and it is infinitely better than being completely in the dark or hoping for fan translations.

56 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Lots of info there just don't get stuck on the few words "lost in translation"...I assume you can figure out what the correct term is based on the context of text, pics, etc.  I find the more technical words or "Macross-specific" stuff get the machine translator confused.  Google Translate gets better all the time and it is infinitely better than being completely in the dark or hoping for fan translations.

To be honest, I've been finding Google Translate a bit off more than on in the past few months.  Oddly, Bing Translate is a bit more on then off... :shrug:

Moral of the story: as they're free, no harm in getting a second opinion and comparing the two.

Edited by sketchley

2 minutes ago, sketchley said:

To be honest, I've been finding Google Translate a bit off more than on in the past few months.  Oddly, Bing Translate is a bit more on then off... :shrug:

Moral of the story: as they're free, no harm in getting a second opinion and comparing the two.

I'll take your word for it...have not really used it much for a while other than for misc old ARII/IMAI booklets and  vintage anime mags as of late.  I'll have to check out Bing's translation resource, I haven't really done research for anything else that may be out there.  But, yes...the keyword is indeed FREE....

The translation was better than expected, the problem with japanese seems to be the gamatic. Beeing mostly descriptive books you can get I woud say 90% of the content. However I tried to translate other stuff like interviews in the gundam thunderbolt books and could not understand anything. 

Regading the books themselves, the amount of interesting stuff is impressive. I hope someone scans the vf-31 book one of these days so we can get a translation. 

44 minutes ago, Captain Global said:

The translation was better than expected, the problem with japanese seems to be the gamatic. Beeing mostly descriptive books you can get I woud say 90% of the content. However I tried to translate other stuff like interviews in the gundam thunderbolt books and could not understand anything.   ...

"gamatic"?

In Japanese, they tend to omit the topic (or subject) when it's understood from the context.  This is more prevalent in spoken Japanese.  Which may be why machine translation breaks when you feed it interviews.

8 hours ago, Captain Global said:

I hope someone scans the vf-31 book one of these days so we can get a translation. 

Or maybe just buy it? :unknw: They are pretty inexpensive, especially used. 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1143617812&ref=list&keyword=VF-31&lang=en

Now that the ability to use translation tools that can capture 90% of the content, as you say, it just makes it easier to rationalize a purchase of a book written in a language you can't normally read on your own and not just for the pretty illustrations....:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Captain Global said:

I hope someone scans the vf-31 book one of these days so we can get a translation. 

Why not just buy a copy?  It's not hard to get on any of a dozen websites.

My group is working on translating the Master File books, but it's slow going and we're not likely to get to the VF-31 book for years.  (Admittedly we're also not very enthused for that particular volume either, as it's heavily derivative of the earlier VF-25 book.)

I love the VFMF series of books. Some more than others. As a fan ,they are a must have. Translation comes second. Lol. But thanks for the tip, there are several specific chapters I've been dying to have translated in the various VFMF's. 

On 7/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Why not just buy a copy?  It's not hard to get on any of a dozen websites.

My group is working on translating the Master File books, but it's slow going and we're not likely to get to the VF-31 book for years.  (Admittedly we're also not very enthused for that particular volume either, as it's heavily derivative of the earlier VF-25 book.)

Ordered mine yesterday :D, will see if the claims that half of it are just a rip off of the 25 book are true. 

7 hours ago, Captain Global said:

Ordered mine yesterday :D, will see if the claims that half of it are just a rip off of the 25 book are true. 

To be fair, the amount of content the VF-31 book copies from the VF-25 book is pretty well justified by the amount of hardware the VF-31 shares in common with the VF-25 in-universe.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:25 PM, jvmacross said:

August is right around the corner...hopefully there will be no typical Soft Bank Publishing delays to the Focker Special Master Files release date...:rolleyes:

According to the e-mail I just got it's been delayed.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:25 PM, jvmacross said:

August is right around the corner...hopefully there will be no typical Soft Bank Publishing delays to the Focker Special Master Files release date...:rolleyes:

You just HAD to tempt fate...

41 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

ugh.....not surpised though...but it may work out since I now have 3 books potentially available for shipping...someday! lol

51ic4ViSFCL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

... I hope this isn't the final cover.  This looks way worse than the previous one, with the blatant copy-pasted ARMD-class ships and wonky lighting.

The preview pics on Amazon are pretty underwhelming too.  Nothing like an actual image of a page, just random shots of the VF-1S.

36 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So 2 of the upcoming Macross books are now slated for a September 2020 release and the Kawamori book for October 2020........I won't even try and guess when the Mikimoto book will ever be released! :lazy: (Mikimoto stands at February 2021....until the next delay!)

I say again, the Mikimoto book's title should be changed to Haruhiko Mikimoto Forever to match its "coming when it's done" attitude towards release dates...

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... I hope this isn't the final cover.  This looks way worse than the previous one, with the blatant copy-pasted ARMD-class ships and wonky lighting.

The preview pics on Amazon are pretty underwhelming too.  Nothing like an actual image of a page, just random shots of the VF-1S.

The textures on those ARMD's are really terrible too.  And it looks like they forgot how to composite 3D images into a photo correct.  None of those pictures look like a plane in flight in or out of atmosphere.  They all look like a cut and paste onto a background.  And even the VF-1 model looks lower poly or something.,

I know this was sorta addressed in a prior post but is there any way to get digital versions of these master file books?  I don’t even need like downloading one illegally from a source or anything I mean does anyone offer the option to purchase an ebook or pdf of these Master File books?

3 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

I know this was sorta addressed in a prior post but is there any way to get digital versions of these master file books?  I don’t even need like downloading one illegally from a source or anything I mean does anyone offer the option to purchase an ebook or pdf of these Master File books?

Not that I've seen, no... the publisher doesn't seem to offer eBook versions of these.

If they did, it'd probably be region-locked and DRM'd to be unavailable outside of the JDM.

• 2 weeks later...

yes.....either....it can scan a page or section of text and then translates it or give you a quasi real-time tranlation as you point the camera at it within the tranlation app....pretty cool stuff and gets better every year....

It is sketchy with "technical Macross jibberish"...but you should be able to get a good sense of what is being said...best to do it in sections of text/paragraphs

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for HLJ to confirm they've got my copies in... but, all in all, I don't expect much from this book.

If it's anything like the MSV Ace Pilot Log, it'll be a solid but unremarkable entry in its series.