Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

I guess I have something to look forward to on Monday... figuring out why we have two different tandem cockpit variants now.

Strikes me as a bit redundant, to be honest.  The reason the VF-1 Valkyrie had the VF-1D and then the VT-1 was they needed a model conversion training variant yesterday so they hastily hacked one together while they waited for a proper one to be delivered.  That problem really shouldn't have repeated itself for the VF-11, which had the benefit of Shinsei's experience and factory satellite manufacturing.

So I know that the actual Macross history as represented on screen (big or small) depends on how Kawamori feels like on the day you happen to inquire about it....but basically, you are saying the VF-1D exists in the same timeline as the VT-1?  For some reason, I just thought the VF-1D was retconed out once the VT-1 became a thing.  After DYRL came out, it seems that most of the tech from SDFM TV was cast aside in favor of what was depicted in DYRL...so basically recreating the new canon for everything you thought was canon during SW1.  And just when you thought you may have had it all straightend out in your head, MtF decides to change it up again! ^_^

So I know that the actual Macross history as represented on screen (big or small) depends on how Kawamori feels like on the day you happen to inquire about it.... [...]

It partly depends on how willing the staff of any given Macross project are to pay heed to that particular view.

[...] but basically, you are saying the VF-1D exists in the same timeline as the VT-1?  [...]

Yup!  Though that's not a new development by any means.

It was first established in B-Club 79's VF History article for Macross II: Lovers Again and This is Animation Macross Plus doubled down on it a few years later.  Macross II's explanation is that the VF-1D's reduced capabilities made it unsuitable for space use, and the Macross Plus and beyond version is that the VF-1D was an improvised trainer that was discontinued at Block 6 when the VT-1 was introduced to replace it.

[...] For some reason, I just thought the VF-1D was retconed out once the VT-1 became a thing.  After DYRL came out, it seems that most of the tech from SDFM TV was cast aside in favor of what was depicted in DYRL...so basically recreating the new canon for everything you thought was canon during SW1.  And just when you thought you may have had it all straightend out in your head, MtF decides to change it up again! ^_^

A common misconception... the official line tends to be that both versions exist, and usually that one or the other was just offscreen at the time.  (This is applied to some of the later titles too, like Sayonara no Tsubasa.)

For instance, the movie VF-1s are just supposed to be the Block 6+ VF-1 where the TV version is Blocks 1-5.  Exsedol's TV appearance is what he looks like as a miclone, but his DYRL appearance is his correct giant form.  The post-repair SDF-1 Macross from the TV series and DYRL version look identical.  So on and so forth.

(Macross the Ride does this to Sayonara no Tsubasa too, establishing as it does that the YF-29 was totally a thing in Frontier's TV timeline and that the VF-27 was completed based on its stolen development data.)

A common misconception... the official line tends to be that both versions exist, and usually that one or the other was just offscreen at the time.  (This is applied to some of the later titles too, like Sayonara no Tsubasa.)

I can't comment on MF, however when it comes to SDFM & DYRL, it's a bit easier to make sense—if one keeps in mind Kawamori-san's official line that the anime we see are in-universe dramatizations of historical events:

• The TV series was made with the equipment as it appeared (akin to those post-WWII films that used actual combat footage).
  • DYRL was made about 25 years after that, using the available models of the equipment and (if what came out at the time of M7 is still valid) used holographic technology over at-the-time modern equipment (explaining away how Bodoruza's Fortress and the Beginhill Training Ship look suspiciously similar).

VFMF: VF-1 Valkyrie Space Wings has a perfect way to illustrate it: the book claims that the Strike Valkyrie (Beam Gun equipped version of the Super Valkyrie) wasn't developed until after the First Interstellar War (of course, it should be noted that the book self describes itself as not being part of the "Official Setting" ;) ).

• The TV series was made with the equipment as it appeared (akin to those post-WWII films that used actual combat footage).

Well, at least, the equipment available in the specific location the story focuses on as it appeared... the Block 6 "movie type" VF-1s were already in service elsewhere ("conveniently just offscreen").

VFMF: VF-1 Valkyrie Space Wings has a perfect way to illustrate it: the book claims that the Strike Valkyrie (Beam Gun equipped version of the Super Valkyrie) wasn't developed until after the First Interstellar War (of course, it should be noted that the book self describes itself as not being part of the "Official Setting" ;) ).

Wasn't it more to the tone of "wasn't available as a mass production option until after the First Space War"?

As I recall, the book presented a different designation for the production model (RO-2A) and suggested the one we're familiar with was a prototype.

Got my copies of the VF-11 Master File today, and so far I'm pretty pleased with them.  I haven't dug into the text more than at a superficial level, but it's already answered a couple nagging questions I had about the VF-11. :) 

Got my copies of the VF-11 Master File today, and so far I'm pretty pleased with them.  I haven't dug into the text more than at a superficial level, but it's already answered a couple nagging questions I had about the VF-11. :) 

This is good to read.  I look forward to whatever you csn share.

Finally got the copy. One of the most anticipated Master File but it's kind of meh. Not that it isn't great but it really doesn't have any wild concepts or colour scheme or anything exciting. The 'wildest' concept you can see is VT-11 and it's kind of meh compared to VF-19B/D. From VF-4 onward it seems like the Master File becomes also run for other models. 

Edited by Firefox

31 minutes ago, ivorysniper said:

Have mine collecting dust in the HLJ private warehouse, pending shipment consolidation. Does the book have the weapons loadout section ?. Anything interesting ?

Yes, it does... but in the most stringently literal sense there is nothing new to see there.  Excluding its gunpod, which did not get a cutaway or anything, it's all weaponry we've seen before in other books.

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-11 Thunderbolt is absolutely a book worth having and has a lot of frankly gorgeous art, but like the books for the VF-0, VF-1 Vol.2, Battroid Valkyrie, and Squadrons, it's one of the books where the real gems are in the text rather than the art.

@Seto Kaiba and @jvmacross, thank you for for the insight and images. No new hardware (except for the RMS-3, if applicable, as I don't recall seeing it mentioned in previous books), but couldn't help notice weapons from earliest to latest generations (except the heavyweight PaCSWS/ACSWS items) are being listed for the VF-11. I'm afraid I'll be putting a lot of burden on my phone's transgoogling app as soon as I get the book. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

So, bets on how long this one gets delayed?  It says due out June 2020... they're rapidly running out of June.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So, bets on how long this one gets delayed?  It says due out June 2020... they're rapidly running out of June.

Is that the VFMF: VF-1S Roy Fokker book?

If so, Amazon Japan has been listing Jul. 22, 2020 for quite a while now.  https://www.amazon.co.jp/ヴァリアブルファイター・マスターファイル-VF-1S-ロイ・フォッカー・スペシャル-GA-Graphic/dp/4815605297/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=VF-1&qid=1593182488&s=books&sr=1-1

1 hour ago, sketchley said:

And there it is!

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

yep...the next date that gets changed! ;)

Should we start a pool?  Take bets on whether it'll be July, August, September, October, etc.?

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Well, I already tossed out November as a potential street date to coincide with the DX "Roy Focker Special" release frenzy....

The real money is on the Mikimoto Collected Works book release date pool!

This just in, it's been retitled as Haruhiko Mikimoto Forever... coming "when it's done".

On 6/27/2020 at 10:03 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

This just in, it's been retitled as Haruhiko Mikimoto Forever... coming "when it's done".

Haha I'm not worried since normal deliveries are disrupted right now anyway...Maybe Mikimoto saw Covid19 coming? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 11:42 PM, sketchley said:

Apparently the book has been pushed back about 2/3 of a month.  Amazon.jp now lists its release date as Aug. 12, 2020.

Publisher's reliability aside, there's a strong possibility that it's due to the effects of Covid-19 (Tokyo's undergoing something akin to a "2nd wave" currently, among other things).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found a good way to translate these books if anyone is interested. If you scan your book yourself or find the PDF version online, google drive allows you to extract the text and translate it quite easily. The result is not perfect, but you get a general idea of the contents. So far I've been able to translate the vf-19, v-0 and vf 25 master files and they are fantastic, specially the small stories they throw in like the spica incident, the final battle of the sv-51 or the first contact with the vjara. 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, Captain Global said:

I recently found a good way to translate these books if anyone is interested. If you scan your book yourself or find the PDF version online, google drive allows you to extract the text and translate it quite easily. The result is not perfect, but you get a general idea of the contents. So far I've been able to translate the vf-19, v-0 and vf 25 master files and they are fantastic, specially the small stories they throw in like the spica incident, the final battle of the sv-51 or the first contact with the vjara. 

It's pretty inaccurate, all told... though some of its mistranslations can be awfully entertaining.