Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Lots of cool pics....but feels like just more of the same....;)  Gotta catch 'em all though! :)

From the text on the pages you posted, it IS just more of same... though since my copy is still penned in transit I can't tell if it's more of the same garbage-tier writing as the VF-4, VF-22, and VF-31 books or more god-tier writing like the previous VF-1 volumes. :( 

34 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From the text on the pages you posted, it IS just more of same... though since my copy is still penned in transit I can't tell if it's more of the same garbage-tier writing as the VF-4, VF-22, and VF-31 books or more god-tier writing like the previous VF-1 volumes. :( 

Well....being limited to transgoogling the Japanese text......I am at it's mercy...

With that said....it seems the book (in-universe) is a result of some newly discovered docs and info regarding the early development of the Valkyrie...I have always liked how these are presented as archival material printed in the future....what l can't tell is if (again, in-universe) it is official authorized NUNS publications or just the work of enthusiasts or industry reps.....says edited by 2075 KAOS Publishing....is that in reference to KAOS from M Delta?

Edited by jvmacross

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

With that said....it seems the book (in-universe) is a result of some newly discovered docs and info regarding the early development of the Valkyrie...I have always liked how these are presented as archival material printed in the future....what l can't tell is if (again, in-universe) it is official authorized NUNS publications or just the work of enthusiasts or industry reps.....says edited by 2075 KAOS Publishing....is that in reference to KAOS from M Delta?

Thus far, all of the installments in the Variable Fighter Master File series are presented as in-universe reference works by corporate publishers that contain public and declassified info.  A bit like a Jane's book, really.

The listed in-universe publisher for all but the two most recent volumes (VF-31 and VF-1 Battroid) is Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc., apparently a print-publishing division of the Macross's homebrew TV network founded during its voyage back to Earth c.10/2009.  The first six books in the series are all just labeled "Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc.", presumably being from the MBS Publishing main office on Earth.  The VF-22 Sturmvogel II and VF-4 Lightning III books are both attributed to MBS Publishing's branch on Eden.  The VF-31 Siegfried book and the most recent VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie book are both attributed to a print-publishing company operating as a part of the interstellar conglomerate Xaos (the same one whose PMC company and entertainment division featured as the protagonists in Macross Delta).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Thus far, all of the installments in the Variable Fighter Master File series are presented as in-universe reference works by corporate publishers that contain public and declassified info.  A bit like a Jane's book, really.

The listed in-universe publisher for all but the two most recent volumes (VF-31 and VF-1 Battroid) is Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc., apparently a print-publishing division of the Macross's homebrew TV network founded during its voyage back to Earth c.10/2009.  The first six books in the series are all just labeled "Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc.", presumably being from the MBS Publishing main office on Earth.  The VF-22 Sturmvogel II and VF-4 Lightning III books are both attributed to MBS Publishing's branch on Eden.  The VF-31 Siegfried book and the most recent VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie book are both attributed to a print-publishing company operating as a part of the conglomerate Xaos (the same one whose PMC company and entertainment division featured as the protagonists in Macross Delta).

Awesome, thanks for the clarrification. 

Lots of NUNS logo wearing VFs in this edition too...would make for some cool customs

large.20180724_204114.jpg.a2537bd7f9d28e

large.20180724_204421.jpg.3c13896dac4865

large.20180724_204454.jpg.5de4be636f9d37

37 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Lots of NUNS logo wearing VFs in this edition too...would make for some cool customs

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah had a great explanation for that, which is what's driving a lot of this art of older VFs with NUNS markings.

Its explanation for the UN Spacy's changeover to the New UN Spacy is that it happened at the same time the government was reestablished as the New UN Government in April 2010, and that some of the older settlements kept using the old markings out of respect to tradition or sheer stubbornness while many emigrant fleets readily adopted the new markings and have been using them all along.

Spoiler

Macross the Ride's fourth chapter (City Fight) takes the opposing view, that the New UN Forces were a product of the military being reorganized post-Macross VF-X2.  The Earth-supremacists who lost the conflict (Latence), which Macross Delta's novels have called the Second Unification War, kept the old UN Forces markings while the Vindirance faction that supported giving more autonomy to the colonies reorganized the military into the New UN Forces. 

This explanation is somewhat problematic, since Kawamori indicated in Otona Anime #9 that the events of Macross VF-X2 were not the reason for the government's reorganization, and flashbacks in Macross Frontier's TV series show VF-171s with New UN Spacy markings in 2048, three years before Vindirance's alleged reorganization of the military.

Personally, I'd like to think both stories are true.  That the New UN Government reorganized its military to add more oversight and decentralize power but didn't change the name or emblem, and that they abolished the old UN Forces emblem because of its close association to Latence and the Earth-supremacist movement in favor of having everyone use the same insignia which the emigrant fleets had been using for decades.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The listed in-universe publisher for all but the two most recent volumes (VF-31 and VF-1 Battroid) is Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc., apparently a print-publishing division of the Macross's homebrew TV network founded during its voyage back to Earth c.10/2009.  The first six books in the series are all just labeled "Macross Broadcasting System Publishing Inc.", presumably being from the MBS Publishing main office on Earth.  The VF-22 Sturmvogel II and VF-4 Lightning III books are both attributed to MBS Publishing's branch on Eden.  The VF-31 Siegfried book and the most recent VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie book are both attributed to a print-publishing company operating as a part of the interstellar conglomerate Xaos (the same one whose PMC company and entertainment division featured as the protagonists in Macross Delta).

They even have an in-universe excuse for the writing quality slipping.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah had a great explanation for that, which is what's driving a lot of this art of older VFs with NUNS markings.

Its explanation for the UN Spacy's changeover to the New UN Spacy is that it happened at the same time the government was reestablished as the New UN Government in April 2010, and that some of the older settlements kept using the old markings out of respect to tradition or sheer stubbornness while many emigrant fleets readily adopted the new markings and have been using them all along.

Reveal hidden contents

Macross the Ride's fourth chapter (City Fight) takes the opposing view, that the New UN Forces were a product of the military being reorganized post-Macross VF-X2.  The Earth-supremacists who lost the conflict (Latence), which Macross Delta's novels have called the Second Unification War, kept the old UN Forces markings while the Vindirance faction that supported giving more autonomy to the colonies reorganized the military into the New UN Forces. 

This explanation is somewhat problematic, since Kawamori indicated in Otona Anime #9 that the events of Macross VF-X2 were not the reason for the government's reorganization, and flashbacks in Macross Frontier's TV series show VF-171s with New UN Spacy markings in 2048, three years before Vindirance's alleged reorganization of the military.

Personally, I'd like to think both stories are true.  That the New UN Government reorganized its military to add more oversight and decentralize power but didn't change the name or emblem, and that they abolished the old UN Forces emblem because of its close association to Latence and the Earth-supremacist movement in favor of having everyone use the same insignia which the emigrant fleets had been using for decades.

Interesting stuff....at some point maybe we'll see a Disney-style dismissal of the expanded Macross Universe....novels, games, etc.....and rebooting the canon to just include the actual TV series....but isn't even that problematic with either the films or TV shows being in-universe re-tellings of the actual events?  Is Kawamori ultimately in charge of what the canon actually is....and is that the biggest problem? Lol....

24 minutes ago, Mommar said:

They even have an in-universe excuse for the writing quality slipping.

Now if the quality had gone completely to pot once Xaos Publishing took over, I could buy that... it does often seem that Xaos sets the bar low enough to be a trip hazard in Lucifer's own wine cellar.

Unfortunately, the overall quality took a dive with the VF-4 and VF-22 books.

21 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Interesting stuff....at some point maybe we'll see a Disney-style dismissal of the expanded Macross Universe....novels, games, etc.....and rebooting the canon to just include the actual TV series....but isn't even that problematic with either the films or TV shows being in-universe re-tellings of the actual events?  Is Kawamori ultimately in charge of what the canon actually is....and is that the biggest problem? Lol....

Seems unlikely.  Kawamori takes a broad strokes view of continuity at the best of times, and that all too often ends up in "what canon?" territory with his position that all Macross stories are simply just dramatizations of a "true" Macross history and taking some artistic license with the facts. 

That said, whoever's policing things behind the scenes seems to be a pretty discerning chap.  Very little "expanded universe" type material ends up definitively incorporated into continuity, and only those installments that are critical to future plots.  Thus far, only four video games have made that cut for inclusion in the official timelines (M3VF-XVF-X2, and 30).  Macross the Ride is one of the confirmed-for-official titles, but it seems to adhere to Kawamori's loosey-goosey views in that the story is clearly a Macross Frontier TV prequel and still acknowledges the YF-29 program and other movie-specific touches.

A Super-packed VF-11 with underwing-loaded AMM-112SQ ?

Capture8.JPG

A VF-1 with VF-11's Super-Pack propulsion/HMM units ?

Capture9.JPG

... and also AMM-112SQ loadouts  ?

Capture10.JPG

I'm definitely going to like this Macross candy rush !

Edited by ivorysniper

3 hours ago, hachi said:

All the pics look good but I want the damn text in English! T_T

I've got a new site in the works that aims to address that particular want... we hope to launch early next year, though it'll probably take years to get through all the Master File books.

3 hours ago, hachi said:

If the issues due to HG are gone (my wishful thinking), do you think these can be published in English? Would a Kickstarter work?

If HG were to lose the Macross license and its associated trademarks, there wouldn't be any obstacle to SoftBank releasing these books in the US in English.  That's an IF that's still 2 3/4 years down the road though.

Kickstarter, I think, would not be the best platform anymore... while Robotech RPG Tactics wasn't a proper Macross product, it's still a Macross-connected product that's connected to a big scandal on Kickstarter and it'll be years before that mess is gone and forgotten.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I've got a new site in the works that aims to address that particular want... we hope to launch early next year, though it'll probably take years to get through all the Master File books.

If HG were to lose the Macross license and its associated trademarks, there wouldn't be any obstacle to SoftBank releasing these books in the US in English.  That's an IF that's still 2 3/4 years down the road though.

Kickstarter, I think, would not be the best platform anymore... while Robotech RPG Tactics wasn't a proper Macross product, it's still a Macross-connected product that's connected to a big scandal on Kickstarter and it'll be years before that mess is gone and forgotten.

Great! another goodie to look forward to next year :D

On 7/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Now if the quality had gone completely to pot once Xaos Publishing took over, I could buy that... it does often seem that Xaos sets the bar low enough to be a trip hazard in Lucifer's own wine cellar.

Unfortunately, the overall quality took a dive with the VF-4 and VF-22 books.

That can still be explained away.  Clearly the Eden branch of MBS is inferior to the supposed Earth-based one.  Xaos we’re already aware of their competance.

44 minutes ago, Mommar said:

That can still be explained away.  Clearly the Eden branch of MBS is inferior to the supposed Earth-based one.  Xaos we’re already aware of their competance.

I guess... though Eden's normally put right up there with Earth in terms of wealth, technology, and trade status.  You'd think they'd do a higher quality job than that, esp. considering the Earth NUNS still uses Eden's New Edwards TFC for evaluating new fighters.

Sadly, my copy of the new book is STILL in transit.  FedEx won't have it for me until Monday. 

On 7/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, Sildani said:

Patreon for yourself, perhaps Seto?

Nah, I want to stay away from anything that might look like an attempt to profit from publishing translations since unlicensed translations are at best a grey market undertaking.

What I'm aiming for, style-wise, is kind of like a web version of Macross Chronicle... but with proper source citations linking to English translations of the cited source, coverage in more depth, and covering topics outside the animated canon like Master File or the novels.

22 hours ago, hachi said:

Great! another goodie to look forward to next year :D

We're tentatively planning to launch 1/1/2019.

Still workin' out the kinks in the site's cascading stylesheets... I am WAY out of practice in web design.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, I want to stay away from anything that might look like an attempt to profit from publishing translations since unlicensed translations are at best a grey market undertaking.

What I'm aiming for, style-wise, is kind of like a web version of Macross Chronicle... but with proper source citations linking to English translations of the cited source, coverage in more depth, and covering topics outside the animated canon like Master File or the novels.

Darn it!  I was going to say "hey, if you paid for translations, I'd be able to pump 'em out much faster and help your project." :lol:

Right now, as a hobby, not to mention in addition to a side job at a translation company... well, we all know the snail's pace I'm currently producing them at. :(

I swear, online package tracking is a special kind of psychological torture... "yes, the book you want is in our local depot, but you can't come get it until we've already tried and failed to deliver it once".  I guess it's still better than UPS's approach of having zero states between "label generated" and "delivery exception".

I really want to dig into the parts in the new book about the differences in the design of the VF-'s hands between blocks 5 and 6.  I don't recall any official setting publication ever attempting to address the why of the design change.  That's been one of my major nagging questions about the VF-1 for ages.

11 hours ago, sketchley said:

Darn it!  I was going to say "hey, if you paid for translations, I'd be able to pump 'em out much faster and help your project." :lol:

Be careful when you make an offer like that... you might find I take you up on it. :good:

As far as I can suss out, it's only a legal problem if the translation itself is commercialized as in a Kickstarter or Patreon.  Paying to commission a translation out of the project budget or donated money and making the resulting translation available at no cost is a much lower level of risk (and, for this purpose, could arguably qualify as Fair Use under certain conditions).

If you're serious with that offer, I'll be back with a request for quotes on a couple books in your inbox in a month or two once I'm done setting up hosting and getting the necessary equipment.

11 hours ago, sketchley said:

Right now, as a hobby, not to mention in addition to a side job at a translation company... well, we all know the snail's pace I'm currently producing them at. :(

Ah, yeah... day jobs are ever the necessary evil of the hobbyist.  The reason I'm finally able to get cracking on this project now after initially drafting it in 2013 is my 9-5 has finally started to settle down into actually being a 40 hour work week instead of 60-80.  It's been so long since I've had proper free time I barely know what to do with myself.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I really want to dig into the parts in the new book about the differences in the design of the VF-'s hands between blocks 5 and 6.  I don't recall any official setting publication ever attempting to address the why of the design change.  That's been one of my major nagging questions about the VF-1 for ages.

This is just a guess: it could be ease of manufacturing.  Welding plates into a square(ish) shape is infinitely easier then molding/forming complex curved shapes.

Be careful when you make an offer like that... you might find I take you up on it. :good:

I can provide price quotes. :p

That said... as soon as I got into thinking about wire transfers and how much the receiving Japanese banks take off... it became a big 'argh' (in my best Charlie Brown impression).

As far as I can suss out, it's only a legal problem if the translation itself is commercialized as in a Kickstarter or Patreon. 

Just for arguments sake... I'm approaching it from the Japanese copyright perspective.  In very short and generalized terms, translations would be treated the same as dojinshi (which are, themselves, a grey area).  What I've heard is that they are 'tolerated' to 'encourage' as long as they remain small scale.

Ah, yeah... day jobs are ever the necessary evil of the hobbyist.  The reason I'm finally able to get cracking on this project now after initially drafting it in 2013 is my 9-5 has finally started to settle down into actually being a 40 hour work week instead of 60-80.  It's been so long since I've had proper free time I barely know what to do with myself.

I take it you don't have kids?  :lol:

24 minutes ago, sketchley said:

This is just a guess: it could be ease of manufacturing.  Welding plates into a square(ish) shape is infinitely easier then molding/forming complex curved shapes.

I could see that... though that'd just make me wonder why they didn't go with the square hands from the outset.

My guess would be that it may have something to do with structural reinforcement, since the rounded hand would make internal bracing more difficult.  Possibly something to do with grip stability too, since I've seen a few remarks that imply the gunpod's main power sources is an external tap into the VF's power distribution system via the hand.

I can provide price quotes. :p

Well, I'll draft a PM shortly then. :) 

I take it you don't have kids?  :lol:

Yeah, that's still a year or two in the future.  We have a lot of large carnivorous reptiles in the house, so baby-proofing is going to be... complicated.  

Got my copy of Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie today... picked it up on my way in to the office. :) 

Giving it a skim now while I wait for a conference call with Beijing to start.  It's definitely written to a higher standard than the VF-4, VF-22, and VF-31 books.  The first 51 pages seem to be the standard VF-1 Valkyrie development history stuff, but the good stuff starts on page 52.  I see some references being made to Sky Angels content on page 61, there's a really good diagram of the hip articulations on page 63, some really excellent diagrams of how the main and sub nozzles in the engines work in the legs/feed on 66-67, 71-73 have some excellent diagrams of the engine interiors of the FF-2001 and the later models earlier Master File volumes suggest replaced it in later blocks (the one for the FF-2001 appears to be an updated version of the diagram in Sky Angels), the gunpod section on 81 has the two alternate gunpods that were used in early SDF Macross concept art of the battroid.

Pages 89-95 definitely deserve special mention for showing how the actual controls WORK, which is just wonderful.  (There is a very slight error on the throttle lever markings, with Overboost labeled at 200% power, but the official line art for the Block 6+ cockpit shows it at 240%.)

There's nothing really remarkable after that point though.

All told, not quite as good as the first two Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie books... but that's complaining it isn't perfect, and it's definitely a return to form and vastly superior to the Squadrons book and the last three volumes of the series.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

32 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I’ll have to wait to get my copy tomorrow.  Apparently signing for release on th FedEx app means nothing.

Yeah, FedEx will usually only accept a signature at the door for international parcels requiring a signature.

The option I've found works the best with FedEx is their "Hold at Location" option in the app.  That lets you redirect your package to any nearby FedEx Office or depot at no cost and usually with no delay, where they'll hold it for pickup at your leisure for 5 days.  The FedEx Office storefronts are usually open 'til like 11pm, which makes the whole affair a LOT more convenient than trying to catch a delivery driver.  (UPS offers a similar service, but the redirect costs $5.)

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, FedEx will usually only accept a signature at the door for international parcels requiring a signature.

The option I've found works the best with FedEx is their "Hold at Location" option in the app.  That lets you redirect your package to any nearby FedEx Office or depot at no cost and usually with no delay, where they'll hold it for pickup at your leisure for 5 days.  The FedEx Office storefronts are usually open 'til like 11pm, which makes the whole affair a LOT more convenient than trying to catch a delivery driver.  (UPS offers a similar service, but the redirect costs $5.)

I normally redirect for toys so they don’t sit in 100 degree weather during the summer.  I digured it was a book and I had the option to sign electronically.  I win’t donthat again.  Though their app is buggy and doesn’t show the FedEx Office stores in my town either.  I have to redirect from a PC to get the store near work/Mom’s place.

UPS has never charged me a fee to redirect to a UPS Store.  I use the one near my Gym all the time, but it adds at least a day of transit doing that because UPS has two depots and they are their own little fiefdoms that only do what they want when they feel like it and never communicate with each other to coordinate deliveries.

Whatever, it’ll be nice to see this book after the high praise.

14 hours ago, Mommar said:

Seto, do they not offer much of an explanation of the odd VF-1EX.0 and .1 with the 25 nose?

I've not read the book thoroughly, but from what I've skimmed it looks like five sentences on that subject is all we get... three describing the v0 and two for the v1.  I guess the v3 version is the one that's meant to correspond to the version actually seen in Macross Delta.  

Master File does seem to be out in left field a bit on page 110 when it's describing how the VF-1EX compares to the early and late model VF-1s in performance terms.  One of its charts shows the top speed of the early, late, and EX versions at 10km.  Where this becomes problematic is that it shows the early VF-1 topping out at Mach 3, the late at 3.5, and the EX at 6.4... which is not only wrong in three of three categories, but would also make the VF-1EX significantly faster than any other VF in the franchise at that altitude (even the YF-29 tops out at Mach 5.5 at that altitude).  The early type VF-1s (A/B/D/J/S) officially topped out at Mach 2.71 at that altitude.  Master File puts the VF-1X/P types in its spec at Mach 2.81 and 2.83 respectively, and those were its "late" type.  The VF-1X+ is official Macross's late type, and that can only hit Mach 3.05 at 10km.  The VF-1EX official spec that was published in the Macross Delta BD liner notes puts its top speed at Mach 2.89.

This is one of those bouts of completely unnecessary extra variants that Master File's writers love to pad their books with that drive me nuts, because most of them are just silly.  (I'm not sure which of them was worst... that one VF-22 that looks like a Kamen Rider mask or the VF-31 with the massive rockets twice the size of the fighter instead of wings.)

27 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I enjoy when the lunacy breaks off on those "variants."  I was hoping there would be a good story to go along with it.

On a skim, the development history of the VF-1EX on the preceding pages has some info about the general origins of the model but nothing particularly detailed about why it was necessary to graft a VF-25's nose onto the base model VF-1 they were using.  There are a bunch of references to a new (Master File original) VF-1 variant that isn't documented anywhere I can find called the VF-1Z.

This reads a bit like a summary of mule vehicle development... cobbling something together with off the shelf parts while you wait for production-intent hardware.  It looks like the VF-25 cockpit ended up grafted on because they wanted the integrated sensors, avionics, airframe control AI, and vortex flow controller.  Each new iteration walks it back a bit more towards the VF-1's base shape once the tech from the VF-25 can be properly repackaged.  Version 1 seems to have integrated the ARIEL AI and avionics package but retained the VF-25 radar and VFC, while Version 2 repackaged the radar system and Version 3 updated to production-intent VFC.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, ivorysniper said:

... and we now have a cover for VFMF VF-11 !

image.png.c19ffb0bbd71c6127be3bdfda6eabdd5.png

I'm oddly amused that they not only took the time to mention that the 11th book in the Variable Fighter Master File series was the VF-11's, but that their declaration of the fact is absolutely dominating the book's obi.

After the return to high quality in the Battroid Valkyrie book I'm sincerely hoping that they've done the VF-11 justice in this one.  That said, the cover alone already has something to give me pause.  They've drawn that VF-11B with three pylons per wing.  The only official depiction of a VF-11 with wing pylons to date only had two.  Not an auspicious start... but still, I can hardly wait to get stuck in now that my group is underway on proper translations of this series. :) 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The only official depiction of a VF-11 with wing pylons to date only had two.  Not an auspicious start... but still, I can hardly wait to get stuck in now that my group is underway on proper translations of this series. :) 

Not only depicting three hardpoints per wing but also four of them loaded with heavyweight ordnance. Although unofficial, I always wondered why only four pylons on the VF-11 when the VF-1 has six. Truth to be told: I actually enjoyed the two additional hardpoints shown here.