Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

19 minutes ago, spanner said:

I'm sure a dedicated VF-11 book will eventually come.. fingers crossed anyways! 

They had the VF-4 drawn up in the second volume of the VF-1 book, YEARS before they ever did the (admittedly awful) VF-4 book... both the VF-11 and VF-171 have been featured in other books, so it wouldn't be out of the question.

Now that they have found the need to dedicate entire books to specific VF configurations...it could be anything......

But in terms of purely VF types....we have not received any dedicated to the following....

VF-11

VF-17/117

SV-52...perhaps bundle it with the SV-262

SV-262

VF-5000....if they did this one maybe they could squeeze in the VA-3

Doubt we'll see any of the Varauta VFs, probably the only way we would get any VF-14 love...the gaming VFs....and other stuff that has never or barely made it on screen....like the VF-9....

So not much left to cover....probably why they went with a Battroid volume....the other stuff left are the enemy mecha and capital ships from all sides...

Maybe they'll surprise us all and do a Macross II edition! ;)

Edited by jvmacross

17 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Now that they have found the need to dedicate entire books to specific VF configurations...it could be anything......

It's probably less a "need" to dedicate entire books to specific configurations and more than doing the VF-1 is writing Master Files on easy mode.  The VF-1 Squadrons book was padded like a menstruating firehose.

But in terms of purely VF types....we have not received any dedicated to the following....

VF-11

VF-17/117

The VF-11 and VF-17 were both covered in brief in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur.

SV-52...perhaps bundle it with the SV-262

The SV-51 was covered at some length in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix, and like every other Macross title to talk about the SV-51 it left things rather ambiguous as to whether Sukhoi had ever completed a SV-52.

The VF-0's Master File book has a moderately sized blurb about the Anti-Unification Alliance's slow collapse after the Mayan Island incident and the Russian separatists backing out.  In that blurb, it seems to indicate that Sukhoi was never able to complete the SV-52 because the Alliance's loss of influence and sponsorship prevented them from obtaining thermonuclear reaction turbine engines and other key components.  It describes the incomplete SV-52s as having been retrofitted with an improved version of the SV-51's conventional turbofan jet engines and redesignated SV-51Ω, then promptly thrown into the fray with the UN Forces to get cut to ribbons by upgraded VF-0 Phoenix units equipped with thermonuclear reaction turbine engines.

SV-262

THAT merits a book... especially since everything between the foundation of the SV Works and the Windermerean war of independence is a huge blank.

VF-5000....if they did this one maybe they could squeeze in the VA-3

That's been squeezed into two books already... VF-1 Vol.2 and VF-4, IIRC.

Maybe they'll surprise us all and do a Macross II edition! ;)

That'd be so wildly inaccurate you'd see me running 'round with sharp objects shouting about Blood for the Blood God. :p 

After what they did to my poor VF-4, they can keep their grubby mitts off my VF-2SS.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's probably less a "need" to dedicate entire books to specific configurations and more than doing the VF-1 is writing Master Files on easy mode.  

Could be....but after all these years....VF-1 still sells

The VF-11 and VF-17 were both covered in brief in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur.

The SV-51 was covered at some length in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix

[VF-5000]'s been squeezed into two books already... VF-1 Vol.2 and VF-4, IIRC.

Yeah....but I was referring to the possibility of more dedicated books....

That'd be so wildly inaccurate you'd see me running 'round with sharp objects shouting about Blood for the Blood God. :p 

Meh....would still enjoy the pics....but more importantly....I now need a Masterfiles MII book as that spectacle would be sight to behold!! :o

As long as SoftBank and GAGraphic can deliver this VF-1 battroid book on a level of quality comparable to what they did with the first two VF-1 books, I'll be giddy.

I'm STILL finding amazing stuff in those first two books and they've been out for years.  (Enough hard data to actually go crunching the numbers on propulsion system efficiency!)

19 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Aren't these books still just slightly in more possission of canon street cred than most fan doujin specs?  I guess the glossier the packaging the more canon it is. 8)

Marginally.

They self-disclaim as "not official setting material", but with Masahiro Chiba and Shoji Kawamori chipping in here and there, cross-pollination between this and "canon" official setting material is basically inevitable on at least a small scale.  It's already happened a few times, amusingly even crossing over into explanations that originate in Macross II's setting materials.

The remarks on fuel system endurance are one area where Master File is just expanding on what more official materials have had to say, so I'm rolling with it for the sake of satisfying my inner engineer... especially since it largely jives with what Masahiro Chiba set down back before DYRL?.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Good to know there is some input from them.  Doubt those Fanky capital ship books get that kind of love.  But still cool pics from both.

Those are 100% fanmade, but fun nonetheless... esp. since they take the time to cover a couple of variant designs that officially exist, but have never been drawn like the Northampton-class's radar picket, air defense, and enhanced armaments types.  I've been using them partly to refine stats in my homebrew Macross RPG.

18 hours ago, jvmacross said:

They are nice...I have not seen anymore released in a while.  If one does get released I'll buy and post it up.

AFAIK they stopped after four volumes... the history book, and three "Battleships of the Galaxy" volumes.

They've done LOADS for other series, like Space Battleship Yamato though.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

With the MF books out, doubt they would venture into the VF series....but they could probably do a Destroid or Zentran mecha issue

Y'know what would be badass?  Since Master File only really glosses over starships in the most vague, general way... get Circle FANKY in there and have them collaborate with GAGraphic on a Master File for starships in Macross.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Not sure if it was already mentioned but I saw this available for preorder - Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie

https://hlj.com/product/SOF39424/Sci

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=MED-BOOK-011871&page=top

No images yet but amiami used this as a placeholder

MED-BOOK-011871.jpg

Yep...way back on May 27th....;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1402762

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mommar said:

LMAO, they attempt to explain the difference between the round SDFM and square DYRL hands.  I can't wait for that translation.

Pruduction Block Variations [ie: block 1 vs Block 6]... like they said about the difference between a SDFM and DYRL VF-1A instrument panel...

On 7/14/2018 at 10:59 PM, Mommar said:

LMAO, they attempt to explain the difference between the round SDFM and square DYRL hands.  I can't wait for that translation.

It can't conceivably be anywhere near as boring as the first book's attempt to explain how they applied overtechnology materials to threaded fasteners.

I'm betting it's a structural improvement meant to make them more robust in hand-to-hand.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, slide said:

Pruduction Block Variations [ie: block 1 vs Block 6]... like they said about the difference between a SDFM and DYRL VF-1A instrument panel...

I think he meant more why the design was changed... and what the advantage of the square hands is.

19 hours ago, jvmacross said:

So based on transgoogling...these two squadrons...the Pythons and the Iron Chiefs....were stationed aboard 2 ARMD's that were part of the Megaroad-01 colonization fleet that are now lost forever....;)

We've known the Iron Chiefs were attached to the Megaroad-01 fleet for ages... though it's weird to see a SVF-184 Iron Chiefs VF-1, considering their first and only mention was as one of the first units to transition to the VF-4A.

It looks like the legacy of the old Sky Angels VF-1 tech manual is still alive and well.  The summary there for the SVF-184 Iron Chiefs mentions them being attached to ARMD-06 Constellation in 2011, after the First Space War ended.  That means they're going with the unofficial history where there were two surviving ARMDs (Constellation and Midway) that escaped getting blown up by being out at Apollo Base and the L-5 manufacturing station.

41 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We've known the Iron Chiefs were attached to the Megaroad-01 fleet for ages... though it's weird to see a SVF-184 Iron Chiefs VF-1, considering their first and only mention was as one of the first units to transition to the VF-4A.

It looks like the legacy of the old Sky Angels VF-1 tech manual is still alive and well.  The summary there for the SVF-184 Iron Chiefs mentions them being attached to ARMD-06 Constellation in 2011, after the First Space War ended.  That means they're going with the unofficial history where there were two surviving ARMDs (Constellation and Midway) that escaped getting blown up by being out at Apollo Base and the L-5 manufacturing station.

I thought none of this was "official"...:unknw:

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I thought none of this was "official"...:unknw:

Yeah, but in theory they're trying to at least stay within eyeshot of the official setting. :lol:

It's not a bad thing, by any means.  It's just that, as a Macross researcher and translator, I'm quite amused that a doujinshi Masahiro Chiba wrote before Macross: Do You Remember Love? came out and probably never expected anyone to remember or take seriously is apparently STILL referenced as an authoritative work by the writers of Macross publications both official and non over 34 years after he published it.  

(I confess I do sometimes wonder if he's either as amused by its longevity as I am or if he's a little embarrassed by people going back to his oldest work all the time like artists sometimes get.)

32 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, but in theory they're trying to at least stay within eyeshot of the official setting. :lol:

It's not a bad thing, by any means.  It's just that, as a Macross researcher and translator, I'm quite amused that a doujinshi Masahiro Chiba wrote before Macross: Do You Remember Love? came out and probably never expected anyone to remember or take seriously is apparently STILL referenced as an authoritative work by the writers of Macross publications both official and non over 34 years after he published it.  

(I confess I do sometimes wonder if he's either as amused by its longevity as I am or if he's a little embarrassed by people going back to his oldest work all the time like artists sometimes get.)

Guess when in doubt go with the data possessing the most Macross "street cred" available?