Macross Master File

Galaxy_Stranger

yeah will be interesting to see other variants and or modifications but a two seater I'd imagine would be a similar case to the VF-1D with only a slight lengthening of the cockpit to accommodate a second seat.. looking at the VF-4 design it doesn't really allow much room for a larger cockpit due to the transformation. Then again I could be wrong..

It's possible. Have a look at the two-seater VF-17 for a more appropriate example (how the cockpit transforms, in short).

If we take that as a precedent, then a two-seater VF-4 would merely have a "mono-boob" that's extended even further in Battroid. However, given how far it sticks out on a single-seater, it might be very unstable in that form.

Maybe it could be like the VF-4SL - it's had its arms and rocket boosters removed, and can't transform into Battroid anymore?

EDIT: spoke too soon. The upcoming Variable Fighter Master File: VF-4 book has an overhead and side view of an electronic warfare version of the two-seater VF-4D. Guess that answers that question.

Edited by sketchley

EDIT: spoke too soon. The upcoming Variable Fighter Master File: VF-4 book has an overhead and side view of an electronic warfare version of the two-seater VF-4D. Guess that answers that question.

Ahhhh... where did you see that??

Have several things on hold at my HLJ PW because of this book.....not holding my breath that it actually releases on August 9/10th....but I have nothing to lose by waiting....

would be really nice if it releases on time.. its been too long between drinks for the master files! and the curiosity of other VF-4 variants is killing me! :p:lol:

I wonder if they'll show of some FAST packs, and if they'll resemble this sexiness in any fashion:

vf_4_fast_packs_schematic_view_by_studio

I wonder if they'll show of some FAST packs, and if they'll resemble this sexiness in any fashion:

vf_4_fast_packs_schematic_view_by_studio

Credit where credit is due!

That's my work: http://studiootaking.deviantart.com/art/VF-4-FAST-Packs-Schematic-View-62760460

And everyone seems to overlook the Battroid: http://studiootaking.deviantart.com/art/VF-4-Battroid-with-FAST-packs-62766094

would be really nice if it releases on time.. its been too long between drinks for the master files! and the curiosity of other VF-4 variants is killing me! :p:lol:

We have data on what, six or seven variants of the VF-4 so far... I wonder if they''ll go in for creating new variants for the book or they'll toe the official line the way the VF-0 book did.

Still, practically bouncing off the walls waiting for this one. August 10 can't get here fast enough.

SWEET! much love/props for those packs... I may try to scratch a set for the Wave 1/72 when it comes out.

I had never seen the Battroid pic... the VF-4 Battroid has just never done it for me... But it looks much better in Battroid with your packs on!

Maybe they just got lazy on that one....

Or they restrained themselves because there weren't supposed to be very many VF-0's.

With 8,000+ VF-4 Lightning III's in service, I'd expect we'll get the usual combination of stock fighter, trainer, recon, attacker, and kooky custom unit in low volume production.

We have data on what, six or seven variants of the VF-4 so far... I wonder if they''ll go in for creating new variants for the book or they'll toe the official line the way the VF-0 book did.

I've only found 7 variants* for it in my in my research. The Amazon link already shows at least one new version (the Recon two-seater variant).

* http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VF-4/VF-4.php#BACKGROUND scroll down to RPG Stats > Variants.

Edit: correction, they've added at least three new ones (D, E, + recon). It's a bit hard to make out, but they seem to be continuing on their belief that the VF-4 only became fully transformable from the G variant...

Edited by sketchley

I had never seen the Battroid pic... the VF-4 Battroid has just never done it for me... But it looks much better in Battroid with your packs on!

Long after I finished that art (already 1.5+ decades ago!), I learned that the upper half of the engine nacelles/shoulders are actually large rocket boosters. So, the FAST packs don't really *need* rocket boosters on their ends.

On the flip side, big honking rocket boosters is soooo Macrossy.

VF-4 always looked like a valk with super packs already built-in to me....its lines are too sleek to "disrupt" with fast packs

Officially, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

I've only found 7 variants* for it in my in my research. The Amazon link already shows at least one new version (the Recon two-seater variant).

* http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VF-4/VF-4.php#BACKGROUND scroll down to RPG Stats > Variants.

Edit: correction, they've added at least three new ones (D, E, + recon). It's a bit hard to make out, but they seem to be continuing on their belief that the VF-4 only became fully transformable from the G variant...

Lots of info in that link is way off though. Even the hardpoints are wrong and no mention is made of the 12 built in missiles carried all over the body and engine nacelles.

Still, practically bouncing off the walls waiting for this one. August 10 can't get here fast enough.

I'd say they will be creating some stuff just for the book or else how they fill all the available pages!? hehe!

but yeah going bonkers waiting for this to finally arrive! Been itching for it ever since I saw the preview image in one of the earlier releases of master file..

Lots of info in that link is way off though. Even the hardpoints are wrong and no mention is made of the 12 built in missiles carried all over the body and engine nacelles.

???

Did you see the disclaimer at the top:

Official Setting information is in darkgreen. Extended Universe information is in steelblue.

Not sure how you can get more accurate than that. Unless if you're referring to the black text...

PS: the VF-4 doesn't have any "built-in" missiles. ;)

AFAIK the D variant isn't new... that was the UN Navy version.

The variants I recall (not counting prototypes) were the A, B, C, D, G, and S... with the SL as a custom.

Edit: that's excluding the alternate universe VF-4S and VF-4ST.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

???

Did you see the disclaimer at the top:

Not sure how you can get more accurate than that. Unless if you're referring to the black text...

PS: the VF-4 doesn't have any "built-in" missiles. ;)

Yeah it does....

animated-vf-4-fighter.gif

Who ever made this GIF... genius! We need more like it!... Project Sketchley?

Edited by NZEOD

Physically, is it different from the VF-4G? I am not referring to performance or weapons...just looks.

Hope the book's release date holds!

Unless you count that one special head variant that, IIRC, was never used outside of model kits... they're pretty much identical except for markings.

The special variant head for the VF-4G had a rear-facing beam gun in the same style as the VF-22's.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Physically, is it different from the VF-4G? I am not referring to performance or weapons...just looks.

Hope the book's release date holds!

Yeah the G is more refined in the nose, less blade antenna, the A has a nose mounted targetter. EDIT... nope... I got that totally wrong! Thats the 4E not 4A

Edited by NZEOD

Yeah it does....

Uhm, you do realize that those are externally mounted missiles (not "built-in"), AND they're in the link I posted.

Did you actually read it? Or just skim over it?

Edited by sketchley

AFAIK the D variant isn't new... that was the UN Navy version.

The variants I recall (not counting prototypes) were the A, B, C, D, G, and S... with the SL as a custom.

Edit: that's excluding the alternate universe VF-4S and VF-4ST.

Why'd I type D? That should've been E and F are new (D has been on my stats page since like forever).

Why'd I type D? That should've been E and F are new (D has been on my stats page since like forever).

You have no idea how many different dirty jokes are doing loop-de-loops in my brain because of that.

I haven't had a chance to go look at the publisher's blog yet to see what's on offer, but it sounds like we're in for a good book with some new variants.

We've got A-G then, at least... I think that may be the longest contiguous run of variant letters apart from the VF-25's.