8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

We're almost the same JVM. I just need to move AOTC above TFA. And all is right in the world. ;)

Honestly, I could have easily either swapped both spots or listed them as tied.....

Both have some things I liked....TFA just barely beats out AOTC based on finally seeing a "crazy old man" Luke Skywalker....seeing Luke at the end of TFA made me forget how awful it was to sit through a rehashing of the OT.....oh well, hopefully the rest of the ST won't blow....although the rumors I have been reading do not fill me with "hope"....

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Kind of cool to see the ending of R1 and the beginning of ANH for the first time together.

Hide contents

Imperial Officer:  Lord Vader, the battle station plans are not aboard this ship!  And no transmissions were made.  An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting, but no life                              forms were aboard.

Vader (thinking to himself):  Hmmmmmm.....why the F did the rebels jump out of hyperspace above Tatooine?  I mean, seriously, Tatooine?!?!?  Maybe I should take matters into my own hands...I mean this is serious...or at least I thought it was just a few minutes ago.....I should go down there and investigate myself...maybe I could sense something i have not sensed in years.....something or someone like........Nah!!!!!......I hate sand!!!

8895d414.jpg

Edited by jvmacross
?

On 12/29/2016 at 8:32 PM, CoryHolmes said:

I think I'm the only person in the world whom didn't notice the facial CGI!  I was so taken in by the performance that I just blanked on the CGI and accepted it at face value (pun very much intended! :) ).

You can count me among those that really didn't notice the facial CGI. I mean when Tarkins walked on I knew it was either CGI or a fantastic makeup job, but I wasn't in anyway distracted by it.

Why didn't Vader use the force to pull the plans from the Rebels in a airlock?   In Cloud City Dinning Scene he forced pulled the blaster away from Han's hand.  Couldn't he have done the same with the Death Star plans?

20 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Why didn't Vader use the force to pull the plans from the Rebels in a airlock?   In Cloud City Dinning Scene he forced pulled the blaster away from Han's hand.  Couldn't he have done the same with the Death Star plans?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this.

43 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Well, he was a bit busy deflecting blaster fire from Rebel soldiers.  It's not like Vader's suit is impervious to blaster fire.

Did Vader even see the plans? 

Saying it was wrong for Leia to be happy after the mission succeeded within hours of the rebellion seemingly giving up isn't finding fault with a movie... it's projecting some odd slant on it. In fact, her saying they received "hope" was drumming on the theme. For her to be down-trodden wouldn't have fit nearly as well. We only get her for a brief moment, it's okay to presume that she'll feel the weight of the dead some time after the escape.

And you have to remember that Vader, for all his skills and talents, isn't the clearest thinker.  When his emotions get the better of him, when battle takes over, he gets tunnel vision and focuses on the task at hand.

The more I think about it, the more I really love that Hallway scene.  Yeah, it's pandering, but it's the kind of pandering that I enjoy :)

Leia was in the middle of the battle over Scariff....she knew the Empire had just used the Death Star to wipe out it's own facility...killing both her rebel allies and imperials.....and that doesn't even include the poor schmucks that had just gotten sliced and diced just prior to getting the disk handed to her......yep....happy times!  LMAO!

Showing her more distressed would have worked better and the "hope" line still would have worked....

If he would have been "focusing on the task at hand"...he would have kept his light saber off and force choked everyone in that corridor and then simply pick up or retrieve via the Force the plans as they fell away from the dead hands of that last rebel......but that is not how the story goes.....but because it makes no sense, it lessens the impact of the start of ANH.....like I said before they should have added the Vader Sith rage scene someplace else in the movie and the fans would still have been happy without making Vader's appearance at the start of ANH awkward.....Awesome scene...but didn't belong at the end of RO....the explanation now is that Vader is just "pooped-out" I suppose at the beginning of ANH...... 

The film should have ended with Erso transmitting the data as the Death Star blast finally envelops the Scariff base (as shown in the movie)......along with her.....Vader's Star Destroyer Devastator would have then detected the transmissions being beamed to the Tantive IV as it detaches from the Rebel flagship and jumps to hyperspace.....quickly followed by Vader's Devastator....queue beginning of ANH....opening scene unmarred by Vader's antics just minutes before....

went to go see Passengers but the session was sold out and we didn't want to wait around till the next (and Gold Class is a rip) so we watched Rogue One again. Even though im not a big Star Wars fan at all I have to say I did enjoy it a little more the second time around.

16 minutes ago, jenius said:

You know what was stupid? The end of all the other Star Wars movie where people celebrate instead of crying. What d bags... people died, show a little respect!

TPM- They end the Trade Federation's blockade & occupation of Naboo. Good reason to celebrate, and yet this is tempered by Qui Gon's funeral.

AotC-No celebration here, just an ominous feeling of dread as clone troopers muster out and Anakin marries Padme in a muted and quiet ceremony.

RotS-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! celebrating in this one.

RO- The rebels loose 95% of their fleet on an unauthorized mission in what ANH's opening crawl assured us was their first major victory against the Empire. I'd say some solemness is required.

ANH-Just blew up the Empire's planet killer super weapon moments before it blew you up and this was accomplished by what's left of your fighter squadrons, a farmboy bush pilot, and a mercenary smuggler in a commercial freighter. I'd say celebrating is worth it.

ESB- Lost Han, lost a hand, lost a base, and a lost fleet staring off into space. No celebrating in this one.

RotJ- Went toe to toe with the Empire in a fleet action that was rigged against you and not only destroyed their new super weapon, mauled their fleet severly, they also took out the Emperor and his right hand man. It's party Time!

TFA- A mixed sense of relief and joy at destroying the latest super weapon tempered with the high cost of what it took to achieve it along with the sense it's only the begining.

I love Star Wars but I can criticize the crap out of it (especially if we include ROTJ and any of the prequels in the conversation)... but some of the "critiques" to me seem to be people who are looking for reasons to whine. She's at a point in time where they just made off with the actual thing that they were trying to get... that specific moment where she is handed (literally!) victory... and you want her to be sad? It doesn't make sense. Her happiness at that moment in time doesn't imply she never felt any sadness for anyone that died as part of the battle. It's like you need that moment to be longer so she can go through the whole Kubler Ross thing. We are seeing her for like 15 seconds... it's okay for her to be happy and not express grief. And being like "crap, all those people are dead, but... hope!" would miss the point. 

11 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

TPM- They end the Trade Federation's blockade & occupation of Naboo. Good reason to celebrate, and yet this is tempered by Qui Gon's funeral.

AotC-No celebration here, just an ominous feeling of dread as clone troopers muster out and Anakin marries Padme in a muted and quiet ceremony.

RotS-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! celebrating in this one.

RO- The rebels loose 95% of their fleet on an unauthorized mission in what ANH's opening crawl assured us was their first major victory against the Empire. I'd say some solemness is required.

ANH-Just blew up the Empire's planet killer super weapon moments before it blew you up and this was accomplished by what's left of your fighter squadrons, a farmboy bush pilot, and a mercenary smuggler in a commercial freighter. I'd say celebrating is worth it.

ESB- Lost Han, lost a hand, lost a base, and a lost fleet staring off into space. No celebrating in this one.

RotJ- Went toe to toe with the Empire in a fleet action that was rigged against you and not only destroyed their new super weapon, mauled their fleet severly, they also took out the Emperor and his right hand man. It's party Time!

TFA- A mixed sense of relief and joy at destroying the latest super weapon tempered with the high cost of what it took to achieve it along with the sense it's only the begining.

Great response to an extreme post....there is a right time and a wrong time to celebrate...and even in those celebrations or victories....the overall circumstances dictate what makes sense for the characters to portray onscreen......another scene that reminds me of this is the scene where the Executor is brought down in ROTJ....we see several Rebels cheer but Admiral Ackbar knows the sacrifices that came about for that to happen....it made sense for someone at that level to see beyond the "immediate victory"...as far as I'm concerned...Leia was at that level within the Rebellion...

With that said, Leia was partly CGI so maybe it was hard for the animators to capture the appropriate feelings Leia had at that moment via her facial expression...I'll just go with that.....

Oh jenius....there you go again!

When other people "criticize" it's "whining"....but when you do it...it just good, old-fashioned critique!  LOL!!!

Who said anything about Leia having to be crying and sad.....as RenegadeLeader1 correctly reiterated my "critique" of the scene....the facial emotion that would have been more appropriate would have been a bit of solemnness....the victory is bittersweet and she can't be that stupid to believe that Vader will not jump out of hyperspace in a few minutes chasing her down.....plus there is that whole bit of her crew being brutalized just seconds ago.....

In the end, I'll chalk it up to a difficult CGI scene.....they just didn't get it right....

When asked by Antilles what it was...all she had to say was that it was hope....no goofy smirk required....I guess you just can't understand that....but that's OK as my enjoyment of the film is not dependent on whether you agree with my critique of it......you really should do the same 

Part of me is glad I haven't watched it or even plan on watching it.

You guys didn't like the hallway scene?  I loved it.  Vader wasn't all twirly and sparkly:

4thrz.gif

The fightng style was bad ass, but still quite subdued conpared to epiii.

Yeah, it wasn't old man Vader vs old man Obi Wan, but I thought it was a nice bridge between the two.  Also,  hacking up a bunch of grunts in a dark hallway probably doesn't require the same amount of caution as going up against the guy that fukked your $hit up the last time you saw him.

Edited by peter

I was blown away by the saber fights in TPM, but by the time ROTS came out I thought the saber fights had become almost silly; that gif above is a perfect example...

I liked Rogue One. It changes some things about the way you view A New Hope, but at the same time not drastically. The story in ANH still holds up, while some of the characters seem to have ulterior motives, and Rogue One actually makes me hate the character of Tarkin (in the way that you're supposed to hate the villain). 

Some of the Movie did seem a bit forced, and the characters needed a bit more time to develop, but at the same time, it gave the movie a sense of urgency. When you're suddenly thrust into a situation like that, there's not really a lot of time to express personality, so it had an air of authenticity about it. 

I did like Cassian Andor, he was very much a nod to the Original Theatrical release Han Solo (#HanShotFirst). 

As for the lightsaber fights, the Original Trilogy, and TFA had some of the best, they weren't overstated like the Prequels. Though, TPM had good fight sequences in general since Ray Park (Darth Maul) was also the fight coordinator (IIRC). For those who don't know, Ray Park is a bona fide martial artist and has played a few roles that use that skill set (Darth Maul, and Snake Eyes most notably). He is mostly a fight coordinator/choreographer. 

Individually the Original trilogy movies are the best of all the franchise. The Prequel Trilogy was fairly weak overall (due to overuse of CGI to the exclusion of practical effects, and generally poor directing and character writing). Having done a little bit of research, one element of the original trilogy was not present in the Prequels, and that was Lucas's ex wife, who was one of the editors. George Lucas's ego brought the Prequels down from what they could have been. 

Still I think Rogue One is an excellent addition to the Stay wars story, one that I thin we've all been wanting for a good long while. 

As for the big battle at the end of the movie, well that too has some basis in reality. One of my favorite sayings is that "No OPLAN (Operations Plan) ever survives initial contact [with the enemy]". I thought that the whole thing happening the way it did, reinforced the notion that the Rebellion was in dire straits. 

I also felt that the Firing of the Death Star was a fitting response by the empire.

Still, all in all, I liked it. 

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Having done a little bit of research, one element of the original trilogy was not present in the Prequels, and that was Lucas's ex wife, who was one of the editors. George Lucas's ego brought the Prequels down from what they could have been. 

Absolutely true!  If you get a chance to hear some of the screen test dialog for the original Star Wars it is every bit as stilted as the prequel dialog.

Edited by Dynaman

On 12/31/2016 at 7:42 PM, Roy Focker said:

Vader learned his lesson after that airlock incident by not using the force. Thanks to the Rogue One movie. And probably that's why he did instantly on Han's Blaster. Deep inside... 'Ha! It's not going to happen again, you Rebel Scum.' ;)

On 1/1/2017 at 1:24 AM, spanner said:

went to go see Passengers but the session was sold out and we didn't want to wait around till the next (and Gold Class is a rip) so we watched Rogue One again. Even though im not a big Star Wars fan at all I have to say I did enjoy it a little more the second time around.

Unless the showing is a early matinee we reserve tickets. Sometimes weeks in advance for weekend seats at a Alamo Drafthouse.