Kinda annoyed by the whole human character team, where are the aliens? The Rebellion would do better if they recruited outside the human race :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/rogue-one-new-star-wars-character-introduced-at-san-deigo-comic-con-a7147941.html

That shot of the 'small moon' orbiting the planet is spectacular.

That was pretty cool. Don't recall ever seeing the Death Star from that angle. Felt more real for some reason.

Also, was pretty cool to see the Tie fighter rise up and hover there....something else I don't recall seeing, in live action anyway.

Happy to see original X-Wings in flight again!

Wowzers, already looking and feeling better than TFA!

Donnie Yen as a force monk! I'm calling it now... Donnie Yen vs Vader =D

Haha yesss do it!! And donnie will use his secret feather duster and spank vader!! Heheh..

Tow cables FTMW!

Can't imagine that taking down a walker unless he was trying to distract it...but yea ftw just for its bravado!

While it is, it also raises the question if the "dish" is supposed to point upwards or downwards...

It's space. There is no up or down, you can orient the Death Star however you please.

And I'm pretty sure that was basically the point of the shot, as otherwise why shoot it "weird".

I think the deck orientation in the Death Star is horizontal, so from the crew's perspective, the dish is on the upper or lower hemisphere.

Of course you could also do an inverted pass with a Star Destroyer.

I now want a shot of the Executor doing a roll. Make it happen, Disney!

Executor? Not in that timeframe.

Aren't all the old, well known timeframes pretty much shot now, by Rebels and the like? Rebels had A-wings and B-wings (albeit prototypes) prior to ANH by some number of years...I'm sure they could throw the Executor out there if they wanted to and just say "yeah, it was off camera in ANH and ESB"...

More likely an homage to the Star Destroyer coming out of the shadow of Vader's Super Star Destroyer

Unless you're talking about a different shot, the one I'm thinking you're referring to is from near the beginning of Empire when the Executor is introduced. The Star Destroyer doesn't come out of the shadow of the SSD. It is eclipsed by the SSD. It has a shadow cast over it, not emerge from a shadow. Still, you are right. It's the same technique as the ESB shot: show the impressively large Star Destroyer and then show something so large it dwarfs it.
I dunno. The shot from the trailer plays much faster, but it's very similar to the sequence of SDF-1 emerging from the shadow of Saturn. It's even from a very similar angle, in front and to the port side.
Yeah, could very well be a coincidence, but to me it's a semi-interesting one. I like the perception I'm getting that this movie has it's own look inspired by other sources rather than the cynical and lazy mimicry of Force Awakens.