How much do you have invested in your Macross collection?

w8kbrder

Macross Collection Total Investment Survey  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much total do you have invested in your Macross toy collection?

• $0 - $500
    • $500 - $1000
    • $1000 - $2500
    • $2500 - $5000
    • $5000 - $7500
    • $7500 - $10,000
    • $10,000+

Thanks dapro. Will check that over the weekend. I did mentioned on our renter's insurance that I have Hot Toys figure and they've include that as well. Will check your recommendation if it's cover more. Want to add my Macross Valks as well. ^_^

I've been thinking about using them. What are their premiums like?

They billed me annually. I kept adding the cover charge and the price goes up obviously with it. I am currently covered for 20k and paying one hundred something annually. Not to bad for peace of mind. You can get a free quote from them.

Edited by dapro

https://www.geico.com/getaquote/collectibles/

Geico does collectibles insurance. They ran some commercials on it recently. Anything over 2k seems to be the limit to get insurance for these special policies.

http://collectinsure.com/

If you already have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, you may feel pretty safe, but most policies cover household goods, such as televisions, stereo equipment and jewelry, but may take a different view towards your collection of plastic superheroes. Even with insurance, it would be wise to check with your provider and discuss a “collectibles floater” which is a separate document allowing you to declare that the things listed on the floater are greater than the value they originally sold for.

In some cases, such as your collection being worth more than $2,000, your insurance provider may require you to start an additional policy that covers collectibles. Check with your provider to make sure they offer this service.

Edited by Gakken85

https://www.geico.com/getaquote/collectibles/

• Agreed value coverage – Qualifying collections are insured for their agreed collector value and never depreciate. Coverage also applies to accessories such as model train layouts and product packaging

Guess the condition of a collectible's packaging matters when determining both personal and insured value.... :rolleyes:

Guest davidwhangchoi

My home insurance doesn't really covers it. So I used this, http://collectinsure.com/

I've been thinking about using them. What are their premiums like?

that's hardcore... i remember my building flooded and all this water poured into my closet. ever since i store my valks above my stove to make sure they're away from water. they small like food but at least the cooking grease residue makes them waterproof B))

obviously messing around:)

Micro-managing your hobbies is one way to kill the passion off. I don't keep track of the money-you can't take it with you anyway...

But you can take the plastic figures with you? :p;)
Snark aside, I think it's more the act of purchasing or fleeting tangibility that drives most of that cash. At the end of the day, we're all just chasing after a feeling anyway. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Hi all,

Figured since I brought up a touchy subject between all of you, I decided to make an anonymous survey (with the suggestion from a fellow forum member) so get a feel for what the average collector on here has spent over the years on Macross toys!

Discuss.

Edited by w8kbrder

It depends how many years into the hobby and the particular character line being invested. I am pretty sure 7 years + of collecting toys in general has reached beyond the 20k+ range in total, but for individual franchises, I don't think it has gone over 5k.

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol, pic of Vader being buried

i was kidding about the cooking grease residue water proofing my boxes.. but my place really got flooded due to a huge rain storm a few years ago, first thing i did was move my tv away from the windows and rain then i grabbed all my valks to the center of the driest spot of my place. that became the refuge of my valks for the next year until i got some gundams. now my valks are stack up in my bedroom. but if i had to let them go, i'd let them go.

Prob around $3000, give or take. Just a drop in the bucket compared to what I've spent on LEGO. Or Transformers.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Voted over $10k and rising...that's my guesstimate. If we count all my other Macross stuff then I'm sure of it. Thanks for making me think about it :D:(

I was just thinking of hobbies that might be more expensive than toy collecting, and realized that I had one sitting right under my nose this entire time: musical instruments. We have a Steinway grand piano given to us by my mother-in-law that I'm pretty sure is at least $30k by itself. We also have several guitars, keyboards, string instruments, and some recording gear lying around that probably totals to a hefty sum as well.

On second thought, I maybe I shouldn't have gone there... now I'm thinking of all the valks I could buy if we sold the piano... :D

Edited by SuperSenpai

I am currently at over 50. I really don't want to know how much it cost. That's not the point of it for me. I enjoy buying them, displaying them, admiring them. :wub:

Hi, my name is Spiff. I'm a valkaholic.

The insurance and spread sheet are good ideas though.

just doing a some quick calculations.. my Valks plus the cabinets and lighting I specifically bought for them it all got right up to 30k (aud).. which is pretty much where I thought it would be. so my insurance estimate was pretty spot on!

frightening how much money I have spent.. but then again a hobby it is and I love it to bits so who cares right! ... right?

In my personal opinion as a toy collector, I don't think buying toys for the sole purpose as an investment is a good idea. I refer to buying multiple copies of a toy only to stash them away MISB somewhere hoping that in a couple of years their value will shoot up significantly and make a huge profit from reselling them. I guess the reason some people believe this will happen is because some vintage toys today really cost a lot.

But here's the thing. The only people that see the vintage toys today as valuable are people in our generation (I assume in their 30's). In 20 years time, it will still be only us that will see value in these things, but by that time we probably wouldn't care as much anymore and would likely choose to spend our money elsewhere.

Moreover, the children of today's generation do not have the same love for toys as we did when we were young, so they won't have the same attachment to toys as we do, nor will they see value in them when they grow older. Kids nowadays are more into video games, so if ever they will have a nostalgic attachment to something from their childhood it'll most likely be to those and not toys.

Therefore, I believe it will be significantly difficult to sell the toys we collect today at premium vintage prices 20-30 years later. Especially since the engineering will probably be so much better by then.

Moreover, seeing toys as an investment is somewhat parallel to how people saw comics as an investment 20 years ago. When this happened, it actually started to drive down the value of comics because so many copies were made and so many people hoarded mint copies. So comics lost their rarity and a lot of comic collections do not have the value that the person thought they would have by now. I fell into this trap myself and purchased #1 issues for Spawn, Wildcats, X-Men, etc. But alas these comics do not hold any significant value today.

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't buy toys as an investment, and don't ever plan to. I buy them because I appreciate their design and engineering, can afford them now unlike when I was a kid, gives me something to fiddle around with, and allows me to relive my joy as a child whenever I would get toys.

Edited for grammar. Typed this on my phone earlier.

Edited by ArchieNov