Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Time to see for myself just how decent =/= mediocre =/= horrible Evolution Toys' VF-2SS Silvie Gena really is. I just placed an order for a copy with Nippon-Yasan. They've slashed the price from ¥20480 to ¥11980 + shipping ($139.84 shipped via SAL for me); at this price I figured it's worth it just to sate my curiosity.

You kinda didn't specify the actual shipping-fees that they charged you for your SAL.

How much was your actual shipping-fees in yen?

Like I said, NY has shipping calculator that you can check the actual shipping costs. I'm guessing Mechaninac used the Eco Registered. Stormshadow0621 also used Eco Registered. TBH, this is what I like with NY. They have virtual shipping calculator.

JAPANESE YEN

VF2_SS_NYcost_JPY.jpgVF2_SS_NYshipping_JPY.jpg

US DOLLAR

VF2_SS_NYcost_USD.jpgVF2_SS_NYshipping_USD.jpg

Edited by no3ljm

Mine SAL registered from NY was 14520 Yen, which comes to about $135 US. I used a credit card without conversion fees so I saved about $7 as NY charges more if you pay with US dollars.

Thanks, man!

I reckon mechaninac paid about the same amount.

Like I said, NY has shipping calculator that you can check the actual shipping costs. I'm guessing Mechaninac used the Eco Registered. Stormshadow0621 also used Eco Registered. TBH, this is what I like with NY. They have virtual shipping calculator.

Thanks, dude.

I don't usually trust virtual shipping calc, but it's appreciated.

Thanks, dude.

I don't usually trust virtual shipping calc, but it's appreciated.

You're welcome. :) But so far, everytime I use NY, I always pay or I always receive an invoice exactly with the price they put on which method I choose. The cost only varies when you used USD instead of JPY upon ordering.

Mine SAL registered from NY was 14520 Yen, which comes to about $135 US. I used a credit card without conversion fees so I saved about $7 as NY charges more if you pay with US dollars.

I didn't know this. NY charges more if you pay with US funds? I know using paypal conversion added a fee but NY itself charges a fee as well?

I didn't know this. NY charges more if you pay with US funds? I know using paypal conversion added a fee but NY itself charges a fee as well?

It's been like that for most websites when you select a different currency

If you select USD , it'll be $116.21

If you select JPY , it'll be 11980 ($110.34, as of 04-12-16)

I think N-Y's conversion pricing is very close to if not more than Paypals

So if your creditcard doesn't charge conversion fee, you should definitely use that.

I only money saving way of using the N-Y's own conversion is if you know the yen is going up and you want to lock in the price that's close to the current rate and would also like to pay later.

It's been like that for most websites when you select a different currency

If you select USD , it'll be $116.21

If you select JPY , it'll be 11980 ($110.34, as of 04-12-16)

I think N-Y's conversion pricing is very close to if not more than Paypals

So if your creditcard doesn't charge conversion fee, you should definitely use that.

I only money saving way of using the N-Y's own conversion is if you know the yen is going up and you want to lock in the price that's close to the current rate and would also like to pay later.

I noticed this a couple of months ago. Before, they were using market rates, so I'd order in USD, instead of JPY to avoid Paypal's below market exchange rates and save a few bucks. It was nice while it lasted...

The only reason I actually selected N-Y's USD currency option is because it afforded me the opportunity to use Paypal Credit in order to get 6 months to pay without interest... more of a personal accounting gimmick that anything else.

Well I got mine from Ny a few days ago and have had a chance to play around with it. To me some one who has only seen the M2 movie from manga, but kinda likes the valks design its only ok. Many people have already stated the reasons that this is not a great toy and I knew it would have falts going into it, maybe its just my optimism but I was hopeful that with some care I would be able to get a good pose out of it for static display.(most of my valks sit in a case and i re-arrange/repose a few times a year, thats when the swooshing happens:) ).

But this toy has proven a little frustrating, in my mind i compare it to the 1/72 yf-21 with FP that i got years ago. It looks good on paper and from certain angles is pretty but is just so frustrating to get there, and just like the old 21 don't bother swooshing it will engage in its own high speed stop mode and try and flip the legs forward. Its like it wants to start transforming on its own but just the legs. But I'm being hard on it, she has good angles in fighter mode and that's what i want. Except I have a gap in the back in fighter that i just cant seem to close its almost like a VF-0 gap but the valk is tight.

All in all I'm happy to have a ok 2ss in my collection, I even kinda want a second one for battroid mode so I don't have to deal with the transformation ever again. But my recommendation is don't pay full price, the closer you get to $100 the happier you will be. Now I need the SAP parts maybe they will help the fighter lock together...

Not even 5 minutes in and I already feel like I got ripped off, even with the 50% discount I got.

Just a floppy mess right out of the box, screw cover fell off right away (glad I noticed and saved the cover), and as a final dingleberry on this crap sundae, the instrument panel is glued on crooked.

Looks and feels extremely cheap and shoddy.

I'd be pissed if I had paid full price for this thing.

Gonna take a lot of work to make this thing look presentable.

vf-2ss%2001_zpsfpsxnfra.jpg

vf-2ss%2002_zpsni6lktas.jpg

Not even 5 minutes in and I already feel like I got ripped off, even with the 50% discount I got.

Just a floppy mess right out of the box, screw cover fell off right away (glad I noticed and saved the cover), and as a final dingleberry on this crap sundae, the instrument panel is glued on crooked.

And pinkish too!

You have the same gap I have in fighter mode. Anyone else have it/ know a solution?

Just opened mine last night. Fighter mode sucks but sort of expected given everyone's feedback. I have the gap issue on the chest too, the tabs on this thing don't work or are off. I get the same vibe with this as my Daca Toys Chronos...basically have it just to have a copy of that character but would replace it in an

instant when a better version is made.

Got mine yesterday... over two weeks sooner than I expected since I went with the SAL option.

I can honestly say that every last bit of criticism and ire leveled at this toy is richly deserved. I'm glad I let my full price pre-order slip and got it at almost 1/2 off, just to satisfy my curiosity; otherwise, I would've been furious. Fighter mode not only looks disgracefully bad from all but a few angles -- a shame since the VF-2SS has such a striking fighter design, it's gappy and won't hold together at all... it's just pathetic; and although battroid looks decent enough, I've been cursed with a loosey-goossey right ankle.

Evolution Toys, you guys have failed on an epic scale... I suggest your entire design, engineering, and QC staff commit seppuku as a form of atonement.

Just opened mine last night. Fighter mode sucks but sort of expected given everyone's feedback. I have the gap issue on the chest too, the tabs on this thing don't work or are off. I get the same vibe with this as my Daca Toys Chronos...basically have it just to have a copy of that character but would replace it in an

instant when a better version is made.

Got mine yesterday... over two weeks sooner than I expected since I went with the SAL option.

I can honestly say that every last bit of criticism and ire leveled at this toy is richly deserved. I'm glad I let my full price pre-order slip and got it at almost 1/2 off, just to satisfy my curiosity; otherwise, I would've been furious. Fighter mode not only looks disgracefully bad from all but a few angles -- a shame since the VF-2SS has such a striking fighter design, it's gappy and won't hold together at all... it's just pathetic; and although battroid looks decent enough, I've been cursed with a loosey-goossey right ankle.

Evolution Toys, you guys have failed on an epic scale... I suggest your entire design, engineering, and QC staff commit seppuku as a form of atonement.

I have to say I was somewhat tempted by the big discount some had on offer (for sheer curiosity reasons only) but glad I stayed away..

yes...cover it up with plenty of SAP! ^_^

:wacko: that looks seriously overdone to be perfectly honest..

Macross 2 was pretty terrible as an anime and now that someone finally made the toy just hammered in that last nail in the coffin.. I can't even say I would want Arcadia or Bandai to attempt this thing either! -_-

I have to say I was somewhat tempted by the big discount some had on offer (for sheer curiosity reasons only) but glad I stayed away..

:wacko: that looks seriously overdone to be perfectly honest..

Macross 2 was pretty terrible as an anime and now that someone finally made the toy just hammered in that last nail in the coffin.. I can't even say I would want Arcadia or Bandai to attempt this thing either! -_-

If Arcadia or Bandai went all out to build a VF-2SS, you'd be all over it. Even though it's one of my favorite Valks it is true in that ET dropped the ball on this one.

Despite the price tag, I am confident Arcadia would make a perfect lineart accurate VF-2SS and it would not be a shelf warmer. So until that ever happens it's this toy or nothing... what a great set of options.

I'm telling you an Arcadia/Bandai version would do great. The 2SS fighter mode reserves the kind of revere that the VF-4 also has. People the world over would buy it for a "perfect" 1/60 fighter mode.

^^This!

I am glad canceled when I did, and I get the impression it was a good call. Those of you who basically said they knew it wasn't going to be great, but wanted a 2SS regardless, was it still worth it?

I am glad canceled when I did, and I get the impression it was a good call. Those of you who basically said they knew it wasn't going to be great, but wanted a 2SS regardless, was it still worth it?

Just my 2 Cents, it was worth it.... not $200.00 worth it, but I'm happy after 23 years to finally have one. If Arcadia or Bandai want to give it a try, they'll get my business too!

Edited by 505thAirborne

I'm happy to have mine. I do wish that I had waited for the sales to buy Sylvie's Valkyrie, but hindsight is twenty-twenty on that. I don't mind being a bit foolish to feed my nostalgia just this once.

Having said that, I am hoping that a different company will pick up the VF-2SS down the road. I would buy an improved version in an instant. The scale doesn't matter as much to me as getting dynamic articulation and a fighter mode that looks cleaner. For instance, don't leave everything hanging out like ET did. Tuck away the Battroid head and find some clever method to hide the swing bar mechanism.

Edited by technoblue

If Arcadia or Bandai went all out to build a VF-2SS, you'd be all over it. Even though it's one of my favorite Valks it is true in that ET dropped the ball on this one.

Despite the price tag, I am confident Arcadia would make a perfect lineart accurate VF-2SS and it would not be a shelf warmer. So until that ever happens it's this toy or nothing... what a great set of options.

if... then we'll see. im not a huge fan of the VF-2 anyways so it'll have to be pretty darn good this time around.