Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

The stickers honestly give it an even older vintage toy look. They remind me of what you'd see on a toy from the 80's like a takatoku or Gakken.

That just adds to the 'warm fuzzies' feeling I get from this toy. It's like it warped here out of the past! :D

I might try to add some goop to the tabs for fighter mode. Debating between Future and super glue. In the past I've found super glue wears off pretty quickly, but I'm also worried the future might be too thick of a coating for the small pegs.

Edited by eriku

I think FTs Tesla is one of the worst transforming toys ever. It is in on par with this it seems like. ;)

The only Fans Toys bot I have, indeed the only third party Transformer I own, is a FT-03T Quake Wave. In terms of construction, I think it's the best transforming toy I've ever owned, beating out classic G1 toys and easily beating the Bandai VF-19 Advance. Of course, on that latter comparison, the FT-03T is a different kind of toy than the VF-19 so it's like comparing apples and oranges. But Quake Wave is extremely solid.

I take it from the comments about Fans Toys quality that Quake Wave is an extreme outlier, and their average quality is far, far below?

Nah, FansToys is one of people's favorite and most trusted unlicensed TF companies. The only toy of theirs I have is Tesla ( Perceptor) and I think he's pretty great. Built like a tank, tabs together solidly in every mode, easy to transform, fun to pose, looks great with other TF Masterpiece toys. I honestly have no idea how he could earn a 'one of the worst ever' comments from someone. Some people don't like his face, maybe that's all it takes.

Got mine. It's actually better than I expected. I can tell you this guys, stop wishing for the Evolution Toys V2 improved release. It won't happen... This is like the 8th product of theirs that I've bought and I can tell you this is about as good as it gets. Everything they make uses the thin cheaper feeling plastic and they all have niggling little flaws and design choices. This is the same as their previous toys but honestly I feel like they went "all out" to make a quality product in comparison to all their previous releases. I can't see this company ever being able to make anything better than this. If you're hoping for a "better" VF-2SS then pray another company takes a stab. Or just be happy with this imperfect one as I am... Actually I wish a 3rd party Transformer making company like Fan's Toys or Gigapower would migrate over to Macross. I gotta tell you some of their stuff is made better than the official Takara licensed stuff. The Fan's Toys Dinobots and the Gigapower Guttur (Snarl) are amazing and fantastic toys that are better IMO* than most of the official Masterpiece releases. Also I just got the Weijiang oversized KO of MP10 (creatively called MPP10 LOL) Optimus and it is one of the most robust well made solid toys (I'm talking Chunky Monkey solid) I've ever handled. It shames Takara/Hasbro. So much better.. Even if you're not a Transformers fan or collector check a review on Youtube of it (along with the Reximus Prime upscaled KO of Grimlock) that compares to the original Takara releases and be amazed. In a world where there are companies now making KO's that exceed the original licensed release's quality and engineering I get excited to think about some of these companies possibly turning their sights towards Macross with the anniversary and the new series release on the horizon... Mmmmm A guy can dream can't he??

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

The only Fans Toys bot I have, indeed the only third party Transformer I own, is a FT-03T Quake Wave. In terms of construction, I think it's the best transforming toy I've ever owned, beating out classic G1 toys and easily beating the Bandai VF-19 Advance. Of course, on that latter comparison, the FT-03T is a different kind of toy than the VF-19 so it's like comparing apples and oranges. But Quake Wave is extremely solid.

I take it from the comments about Fans Toys quality that Quake Wave is an extreme outlier, and their average quality is far, far below?

I shall elaborate no more. Otherwise this board will be shunned due to the aura of negativity that I bring to this and the 3rd party transformers board over at TFW. ^_^

Quakewave is a solid toy so are their Iron Dibots but I think they are lacking the fit and finish that Bandai or Arcadia collector pieces offer. I have a personal vendetta with their Tesla though. I've wrote lengthy comments on why I think he's not their best work so I won't repeat them here to derail the conversation. Just that much: it is not his face. :)

Back to the VF-2SS. I think this toy is really hard to judge. From Veefs review I got the impression that they have had some good ideas on designing the toy but they lack in execution and experience which is to be expected form a newcomer. Some areas like the upward swivel in the wings seem to come from a lack in understanding the transformation scheme of the toy or a slavishness to the line-art that is violated in other areas.

I'm really interested to know how the design came to be. They surely had to do some research on what their competitors offer in the market. Did they want to tap into the market of the Yamcadia and Bandai Valkyries hence the 1/60 scale? If so did they think that their toy could compete with the other offerings?

That said I think it is a valid approach to have a easy to transform toy with focus on the Battroid-Mode that derives from the line-art to achieve this task. However I think for this approach the toy should be solid and lock together nicely. All the small flip out tabs seem to be counter productive.

Got mine. It's actually better than I expected. I can tell you this guys, stop wishing for the Evolution Toys V2 improved release. It won't happen... This is like the 8th product of theirs that I've bought and I can tell you this is about as good as it gets. Everything they make uses the thin cheaper feeling plastic and they all have niggling little flaws and design choices. This is the same as their previous toys but honestly I feel like they went "all out" to make a quality product in comparison to all their previous releases. I can't see this company ever being able to make anything better than this. If you're hoping for a "better" VF-2SS then pray another company takes a stab. Or just be happy with this imperfect one as I am... Actually I wish a 3rd party Transformer making company like Fan's Toys or Gigapower would migrate over to Macross. I gotta tell you some of their stuff is made better than the official Takara licensed stuff. The Fan's Toys Dinobots and the Gigapower Guttur (Snarl) are amazing and fantastic toys that are better IMO* than most of the official Masterpiece releases. Also I just got the Weijiang oversized KO of MP10 (creatively called MPP10 LOL) Optimus and it is one of the most robust well made solid toys (I'm talking Chunky Monkey solid) I've ever handled. It shames Takara/Hasbro. So much better.. Even if you're not a Transformers fan or collector check a review on Youtube of it (along with the Reximus Prime upscaled KO of Grimlock) that compares to the original Takara releases and be amazed. In a world where there are companies now making KO's that exceed the original licensed release's quality and engineering I get excited to think about some of these companies possibly turning their sights towards Macross with the anniversary and the new series release on the horizon... Mmmmm A guy can dream can't he??

Glad to hear that you and several "first adopters" of the VF-2SS have been generally happy with their purchases.

I too have been hoping for 3P Macross ever since the Makurosu came out...even though I am not a big fan of SD versions of toys....the Makurosu was a great first try and gave me hope that it would encourage others to create more Macross product....sadly, all that has materialized are those awful SD VF-1's, which no one seems to like....I guess Macross is just too niche even for 3P... ;)

All we can do is keep on dreaming for now...

But all is not lost....at least we have our resident 3D artists regularly pumping out cool stuff for us!

I'm really interested to know how the design came to be. They surely had to do some research on what their competitors offer in the market. Did they want to tap into the market of the Yamcadia and Bandai Valkyries hence the 1/60 scale? If so did they think that their toy could compete with the other offerings?

As I said previously, this toy has no competition.......when it comes to the VF-2SS.....there can be only one! :rolleyes:

Because it is the only game in town...there really was no reason to try harder.....it just needed to be "good enough"....competition is the best motivator for achieving the best product....or just wait until someone does "do it better" and then do as the Chinese and upscale/KO the heck out of it...heck maybe even improve on it a little after all the hard work is done! :p

Actually I wish a 3rd party Transformer making company like Fan's Toys or Gigapower would migrate over to Macross.

Nope. Gigapower needs to concentrate and release all their Dinobots before jumping to Macross II. If they ever did do a VF2SS I wouldn't worry cause it'd be solid as a rock in all modes.

Still no response from A-E about my misformed wing. I'll give them another day or so before sending them another email.

Nope. Gigapower needs to concentrate and release all their Dinobots before jumping to Macross II.

Agreed LOL. Grassor is looking mighty fine...

Ya know, guys?

Some of us don't buy nor care about 3P stuff, so we don't have any idea what the fugazi you're talking about when you mention comparisons to 3P stuff.

However, most of us have Macross products from most, if not all, the players.

So for better comparisons, can you guys at least answer the following regarding ET's plastic quality of the 1/60 Sylvie:

-- How eactly is the plastic quality (esp. sturdiness)?

• Is it the same or comparable or not to the soft 1/100 Bandai kit quality?
  • Is it the same or comparable or not to the 1/100 Bandai HM and/or HM-R?
  • is it the same or comparable or not to the rather brittle Yamato 1/60 SV-51 (Ivanoff/Nora) or VF-0A or VF-11b?
  • is it the same or comparable or not to the infamous Yamato 1/72 VF-11b?

Don't have to compare against the Yamato VF-1 (v1 and v2), but do so if you want to further elaborate.

Edited by treatment

Ya know, guys?

Some of us don't buy nor care about 3P stuff, so we don't have any idea what the fugazi you're talking about when you mention comparisons to 3P stuff.

So for better comparisons, can you guys at least answer the following regarding ET's plastic quality of the 1/60 Sylvie:

• is it the same or comparable or not to the rather brittle Yamato 1/60 SV-51 (Ivanoff/Nora) or VF-0A or VF-11b?

Don't have to compare against the Yamato VF-1 (v1 and v2), but do so if you want to further elaborate.

I would have to say

• is it comparable to the infamous Yamato 1/72 VF-11b? Or an old Joons VF-1.....
Edited by jvmacross

Well, I for one, doesn't know what Joons is. However I did go and search for it and basically it's just a knock off VF-1. And to be honest, I didn't get a chance of owning it so I still can't compare to it. What I have is Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai Macross Valks. So if anyone can compare it, and like Treatment said, he just laid out the official products to compare it to, so that we can somehow visualize it based on what we have. But I also know the quality of the old Bandai kit so that's welcome as well. But anyways, I will still get in by late Feb after all the PO's I have with HLJ so that's ok too. Cheers! ;)

Well, I for one, doesn't know what Joons is. However I did go and search for it and basically it's just a knock off VF-1. And to be honest, I didn't get a chance of owning it so I still can't compare to it. What I have is Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai Macross Valks. So if anyone can compare it, and like Treatment said, he just laid out the official products to compare it to, so that we can somehow visualize it based on what we have. But I also know the quality of the old Bandai kit so that's welcome as well. But anyways, I will still get in by late Feb after all the PO's I have with HLJ so that's ok too. Cheers! ;)

Well, based on just what is on the list it is most comparable to the plastic used for the 1/72 Yamato VF-11.....I have everything else on that list and it is nothing like them, in terms of the quality of the plastic....I'm guessing you don't have or ever had a Yamato VF-11b either?

Someone else asked if it was like the 1/55 Toynami VF-1 plastic.....I would need to dig mine out.....I do have the Toynami 1/100, but their plastic does not feel the same to me....their plastic is cheaper in quality...

Good news is you'll find out eventually! ^_^

Ya know, guys?

• Is it the same or comparable or not to the soft 1/100 Bandai kit quality? .......................................................................BETTER
  • Is it the same or comparable or not to the 1/100 Bandai HM and/or HM-R? ..................................................................COMPARABLE
  • is it the same or comparable or not to the rather brittle Yamato 1/60 SV-51 (Ivanoff/Nora) or VF-0A or VF-11b?...BETTER, but not as nice of a finish
  • is it the same or comparable or not to the infamous Yamato 1/72 VF-11b?....................................................................COMPARABLE to BETTER

As I said the other day, I don't think the plastic is poor quality at all. It seems just as strong as what Bandai and Arcadia typically use. However I think the less refined finish of the plastic, the sharp edges in some areas and the thin-ness of some areas can create the perception that it's not as good, or 'cheap'.

::EDIT::

Had some more thoughts - by finish I mean the surface texture of course, like the lush polish on the Yamato VF-19s and Bandai DX toys, the satiny matte feel of most Yamato/Arcadia VFs. And that surface texture can go a long way because it's not just a visual thing but also a touch thing.

In general terms of durability, strength, etc - I think the plastic on the VF-2SS feels pretty robust and I'm certainly never worried that it's going to crack or break when I'm handling it.

If you're not going to handle this at all then you wont care if the plastic is strong or weak, you want that nice finish so the thing can look pretty in your display.

Edited by eriku

As I said the other day, I don't think the plastic is poor quality at all. It seems just as strong as what Bandai and Arcadia typically use. However I think the less refined finish of the plastic, the sharp edges in some areas and the thin-ness of some areas can create the perception that it's not as good, or 'cheap'.

This is about where I stand on it, yeah. It's shiny smooth glossy ABS, almost the same stuff Arcadia's VF-19 is made out of. The catch is that's used on everything, including transformation mechanisms, and because it's thin in some places, it just feels a little more fragile than it probably is. That said, I would suggest being very, very careful in transforming it- but I've already transformed mine several times and put it through some fairly rigorous posing and it's come through without a scratch, so I suspect people who've complained about breakage were manhandling it to a pretty ridiculous degree, treating it like a hasbro transformer or something.

I have no idea how it managed to yellow so badly. It's actually yellowed *worse* underneath the super-parts, too, which is just. Odd. It's clearly more of a chemical degradation than your standard 'UV exposure' problem because it's yellowed in places that have never been exposed to much light, period- and it's spent most of it's life in a room where I intentionally boarded over the window just to keep excess sunlight out!

I had two of them. One i display in a room with no direct light and the other was never opened and stayed in storage since the day i bought it. Both were equally yellowed when i went to sell them. Many of the same parts yellowed but not all. It's a very common problem with the vf-25F v1. I'm pretty sure that's why they added the blue tint for the Movie release.

.-- How eactly is the plastic quality (esp. sturdiness)?

The plastic on this and every other one of the Evolution Toys products that I have bought feels excatly the same. Cheap thin model kit quality plastic. But the thing is , it isn't. That's just how it feels. All of their products are relatively sturdy. Never broken one, play with them like normal. It's just something about the feeling and finish of it that feels waaaay more cheap and fragile than the average (I won;t use names) toy company and yet it isn't actually as cheap and fragile as it looks and feels. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Now that we have reviews and we know what we're in for, I'm actually convinced on getting one.

Perhaps later releases will also have some improvements like we used to get with CM'S.

Edited by arbit

I think we've gotta stop with the 'model kit quality' comparison with the plastic, because it's a pretty unfair comparison to make. Model kits are made of polystyrene, which is a completely different material from the ABS this is made of. Polystyrene is much, much weaker, more flexible, more chemically reactive, and even has a lower melting point. It's apples and oranges. Only Kotobukiya produces model kits where the majority of the kid is cast in an ABS, and their model kits tend to feel a lot sturdier than say, a bandai kit.

For those who haven't handled the toy yet- it isn't the same sort of flimsy as say, a gundam model. It is using a lighter, thinner sort of ABS, but anybody who's handled some of Hasbro's transformers during their cost-cutting phases will recognize it as the same overly-shiny, kind of slick thin ABS. Generations bumblebee from 2014 is the closest comparison I can think to make. It isn't actually that weak, unless you get unlucky and have a catastrophic failure, or are being way too rough with it.

That was my point. That the VF-2SS (and all of their other products) is made out of ABS, it just feels and looks like it's made of Polystyrene. Which is why it feels and looks more fragile than it is.

Now that more people have had this in their hands for awhile, I've amended my decision of 'no'. I think I'd actually buy this in one of these situations:

1) Bargain Bin'd LOL. I love the VF-2, but my nostalgia isn't going to overcome my reservations and I don't have a burning fervor to own one.

2) I've had a chance to hold one in my hands. Photos and videos are nice, but for me there's too much uncertainty without actually interacting with it. I'm a tactile person and when I have doubts about a product, I like to demo.

Nope. Gigapower needs to concentrate and release all their Dinobots before jumping to Macross II. If they ever did do a VF2SS I wouldn't worry cause it'd be solid as a rock in all modes.

Still no response from A-E about my misformed wing. I'll give them another day or so before sending them another email.

They almost never reply to any e-mails. They definitely read them but if you want immediate action, lodge a paypal dispute. That'll get them to respond.

Well, based on just what is on the list it is most comparable to the plastic used for the 1/72 Yamato VF-11.....I have everything else on that list and it is nothing like them, in terms of the quality of the plastic....I'm guessing you don't have or ever had a Yamato VF-11b either?

Someone else asked if it was like the 1/55 Toynami VF-1 plastic.....I would need to dig mine out.....I do have the Toynami 1/100, but their plastic does not feel the same to me....their plastic is cheaper in quality...

Good news is you'll find out eventually! ^_^

I do have a Yamato 1/60 VF-11C. But haven't had the chance of owning the first generation of Yamato Macross Plus figures in 1/72. ;)

The only way I guess for me to compare is, is to ask if it has the same plastic quality as Yamato's 1/60 Valks? Bandai's DX Valks? Hasbro/Takara's TF Masterpiece figures? Or Robot Damashii Gundam Figures?

But yeah, I don't think it matters now since the VF-2SS is already paid and I'm just waiting for some other stuff to come in before shipping it from HLJ's Private Warehouse. :rolleyes: I'm not too concerned about it now since majority of people here who already owned it says they like in one mode or another. And that's already good for me. ^_^ It's NOT the perfect VF-2SS, but it's the only one available out there which in scale with my Macross Collections. IF ever there's going to be another one down the line from another company, then yeah, I'll check it if it's as good or better than Evolution Toys' and decide from there. But for now, I'm just happy that I also PO'ed the Faerie SAP version. But stlll thinking if I should cancel that oen and get the NEXX instead. The only thing that's stopping me from getting the Nexx is the color. :lol:

I think we've gotta stop with the 'model kit quality' comparison with the plastic, because it's a pretty unfair comparison to make. Model kits are made of polystyrene, which is a completely different material from the ABS this is made of. Polystyrene is much, much weaker, more flexible, more chemically reactive, and even has a lower melting point. It's apples and oranges. Only Kotobukiya produces model kits where the majority of the kid is cast in an ABS, and their model kits tend to feel a lot sturdier than say, a bandai kit.

For those who haven't handled the toy yet- it isn't the same sort of flimsy as say, a gundam model. It is using a lighter, thinner sort of ABS, but anybody who's handled some of Hasbro's transformers during their cost-cutting phases will recognize it as the same overly-shiny, kind of slick thin ABS. Generations bumblebee from 2014 is the closest comparison I can think to make. It isn't actually that weak, unless you get unlucky and have a catastrophic failure, or are being way too rough with it.

Not sure why people are still asking for what it compares to, this pretty much sums everything up right here.

13 transformations in and still holds together like a champ and nothing broken. I mean really, at this point if you like it buy it, if you don't - well just hope we get another one within the next decade.

Also, as a side note, I think I have only seen one report of a breakage anywhere. I guess time will tell if anything explodes, but seems to be made right to me.

24638009773_863f997bb9_c.jpg

Edited by Nightingale

Well, fiddled with it a bit. ( not transformed it though). Was rapidographing ( is that even a word?) the panel lines...some are really kit-like, very narrow and no depth. I did it 'old school way' as I was out of grey markers and even the thinest was to thick...Used a 0.1 tip. Had to make my own mixture, I tried light grey, but did not like it at all...so went with dark-grey with a mix of dark chinese ink, some white acrylic, and Tamiya thinner to avoid clogging....It was a major PAIN as the VF kept flopping during the whole procedure, took me 3 times longer.

It's better, but still needs loads more... Will forget the stickers and will go for Yamato decals, so that will probably take forever as well :-(

And that gun....Love that they show how it fits in fighter mode....( anime accurate or not, I cannot believe that they could not get that right!....complete afterthought in the design, they saw a 'spare hole' in the right place and thought why not...)

Has anyone managed to attach that gun?? ( without cheating...no glue, blue tack or whatever?).

And definitely need to sort those tabs out somehow. But Superglue...no way...it's not indefinite, and damages the plastic. Need to find another way to strengthen or thicken those stupid arm tags...then it'll be the turn of the metal bars ( not as ugly as the pics showed, but far from great). Has anyone found a viable alternative to glue?

Anyway, all flaws aside, for now, I'm happy to finally bet a 1/60 Vf-2SS, warts and all.

True...they do go well together..... ;-)

But in terms of supa' sleekness you cannot beat the 4G..... No contest....

Just noticed that the few people that started on the 2-SS 'visual improving' went for really thick panel lines on the top? Was it to match the line art? Felt it looked more subtle with thiner lines somehow, less distracting.

post-27197-0-65919700-1456453251_thumb.jpg