Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

I got most of the gallery pictures all ready to go so please enjoy.

http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/v/Toys/EvolutionToy/vf2sssilvie/

Again, hopefully the video review will be up tomorrow.

I'm more interested in the video review than the actual toy.

I really wish the people demanded in the same manner to bandai and arcadia that not free of defects and problems

still no understand why attacking this beautiful valk

for years at least by myself I have been waiting for macross II toys and if to other companies not interested in the rights

I glad evolution toys take the license and hope give us after the SAP the vf 2ja

Edited by valhary

I really wish the people demanded in the same manner to bandai and arcadia that not free of defects and problems
for years at least by myself I have been waiting for macross II toys and if to other companies not interested in the rights
I glad evolution toys take the license and hope give us after the SAP the vf 2ja

People on this forum constantly hold Bandai and Arcadia to an extremely high standard. Floppy ankles for Arcadia? Renewals that turn floppy and scratch easy from Bandai? I would argue people hold those companies to an unreasonable standard on this forum, but thats to be expected for what you pay. Totally reasonable for a new player in the market to be compared to the existing competition, especially when your price (fair or not) is equal to their prices.

I can buy the vf-2ss right now on HLJ for $200 US and the Arcadia YF-19 for $260. There is more than a $60 difference between those toys in quality. Sadly.

Is there a reason why the taps on the chest couldn't be on the part where they tap in now?

My 5 cents..don't bite my head off, I could be completely wrong!

From what I gathered, as they are currently ( on the front) when you close up the two halves, the tabs give some support and lift to the front portion.

Had they placed the tabs on the back where they tap in, they would most likely be pushing down the front part rather than supporting it. ( would be worse). As far as these tabs are concerned, the engineering is sound/logic , it just doesn't take the aesthetics into account.

Some sliding mechanism to hide them once in Battroid mode could've been implemented, but then it adds to the part counts, complexity etc....Then they would've probably charged ¥35000 to make up for all these added intricate designs ( also as we know more complexity/gimmicks does not necessarily equate to solidity....the opposite in a lot of cases) ...

Maybe you're just not reading the forum as much to be missing the even-more-critical-and-more-devastating stuff being hurled at both Bandai and Arcadia/Yamato for their products.

It's nice that ET coughed up the big moneys to pay for the license to produce MII 1/60 toys from BigWest, but I'm a bit indifferent about it since I believe Yamato-Toys was just cockblocked by Bandai from getting the MII toy-license from BigWest back during Yamato-Toys' heyday.

This kind of comparison is always going to happen, especially if you're dealing in highly niche items that only appeal to a small crowd. Worse yet, this is a design that itself is in a niche little corner of an already niche fanbase, and the level of expectations for such things tend to go up exponentially, because the only people who care about the design really care about the design, or else they wouldn't be interested at all.

Arguably, Bandai was in the same boat with the first DX VF-25. But in that case, it was more market ignorance, or just not caring about producing anything of quality to compete with similar products from Yamato. Everyone knew Bandai was far more capable than they were showing. Heck, they even regressed back to pre-chunky monkey levels of quality in some ways. Fortunately, they went back and started over.

Evolution Toys though... from what I've read about them, this seems to be about what people expect from them. Does that make it a good competitive product in a market full of high end collectible toys? Not really. It's not at the level of production quality you can expect from either Bandai or Arcadia, yet it's more expensive than a lot of the competing products.

Note, I'm talking purely from a production quality standpoint, not how accurate it is to the source material. The engineering just isn't as polished as other products in that price range, and that's pretty much what you're going to get with a small company who's trying to produce a product for such a small target audience.

Does that make it a bad product altogether though? Not really. Again, not judging the design on accuracy, it does what it needs to do. Really, this is the kind of product I'd expect to come from a company who mostly does robots, since the focus seems to be on the battroid mode, and it doesn't look bad at all in that mode. It kind of falls apart in gerwalk and fighter mode, but it's an awkward design that's going to have problems anyway, and you're not going to get someone new to designing valk toys to knock it out of the park on the first try.

That being said, the toy design and engineering really don't look very impressive in a lot of ways, and that does detract from it. There are a lot of ways that this product could have been improved in looks just by doing more research on other Macross products, and mimicking the techniques used on them, like ways to minimize bulky hinges, and methods for attaching parts securely.

That's entirely on the Evolution Toys design team to accomplish though, and while it can take years of experience to develop good engineering design processes, the entire reason you do market research of that type is to boost your own level of engineering to stay competitive.

Mine came today, but it unfortunatly got a QC error. It's missing the rubber tires on one of the back landing gear. Now I can't display it in fighter mode with the landing gears out which I had planned. :(

That is awful to hear....I think the pics posted by vf5ss also show that he is missing one of the tires from the rear landing gears....let the retailer know and maybe they can help you get a replacement part...hopefully you bought it from HLJ....if not, it is still worth a try...good luck!

Honestly, that video review makes the figure look pretty good to me. Seems about on par with some of the middling-to-better Third Party Transformers, which I'm already used to paying a premium on, so I'm feeling pretty good about this one now.

That's the spirit dear sir. Be optimisitic. ;)

I'm doing this in honor of Dennis Lone. He was a true journalist.

Thanks for the video review veef. I have to admit I'm pretty glad I didn't bite on this one. There are so many more improvements that could have been made. Going to wait for version 2.0.

Just picked mine up from the front office, and yeah, confirming- It's about the quality of several of the Third Party MP Transformers that I've picked up. Specifically, about on part with Fans-Toys or X-Transbots, so really not actually terrible at all. As somebody above said, it's a solid B+ IMO. Better than the Yamato YF-19 and Bandai V1 VF-25 by a pretty solid margin. Plastic quality is about on par with the Bandai V1s, below Arcadia and Yamato's offerings but not nearly as flimsy as people were suggesting. Some of the posters made me think it was going to be like, Styrene or something. It's mostly thin ABS, not far off from what Hasbro and a lot of the third party companies use for transformers.

I'm completely happy with this purchase, and I'm 110% looking forward to getting another one with an SAP. Probably gunning for the Nexx version.

As a looong time fan my input is:

Not that great... :( ...but great to have! :wub:

finally.jpg

It's like it just walked off Issue #79 ;)

Nice! A proud VF-2SS lover. ;)

To be honest, I'm really not a big Macross II fan. But seeing this valk before makes me think it looks unique. Didn't purchase old figure/kits of this unit, yet somehow I already feel satisfied just by purchasing the recent EvoToys VF-2SS. I know it's not perfect but still a good display to go with the rest of my Valk collection. :wub:

As a looong time fan my input is:

Not that great... :( ...but great to have! :wub:

finally.jpg

It's like it just walked off Issue #79 ;)

Awesome display! Is that the wood model sold on ebay? Would you mind taking some shots of it on several angles.....I've always been curious about it...is it the one labeled as "large"?

Agreed, it is great to have....plus Macross II valks are no longer absentees in your 1/60 VF collection! :)

Haters gonna hate, players gonna play, and Lovers gonna Love... again!

25150596051_06a4baf4b9_c.jpg

24613110534_e44cc27c80_c.jpg

25243774425_37051f5942_c.jpg

24613111534_9689d027c1_c.jpg

24876080369_2de2f3910a_c.jpg

24948155740_60f1995f36_c.jpg

25125485312_a30603fb06_c.jpg

25150596331_55a7f7a83a_c.jpg

25217488776_48458c7905_c.jpg

25217489256_75c2904dc1_c.jpg

Been playing with it and transformed it about 12 times already, and just giving it a little TLC really brings out the greatness of the toy.

The only regret I have about it is the price, wish I held out and got one of those going on ebay for $175 shipped. Meh, still love it and really glad I got it.