Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Ever since I first laid eyes on the Bandai VF-2SS model kit, I’ve been waiting and hoping one day they would make a perfect transforming toy. What really caught my attention was the battroid mode, it looks so cool, and especially the head design. As for the fighter mode, it looks ok, but I do like that green canopy.

To have a 1/60 scale transforming toy, this is awesome. I do hope this new comer to the Macross franchise will also focus on the types of material and quality. If this toy turn out to be a flop, I’ll just leave it in battroid mode.

The overall sculpt of the 1/100 Bandai kit is so far superior to Evolutions rendition of the VF-2SS (head, chest, upper and lower legs, forward fuselage and shield, feet... just about everything) that it's not even funny, and it's conversion to a non SAP equipped version, while not perfect, is quite slick; it just looks right. The only area where I can clearly see the prototype toy being superior is in the way the wings tuck in in Battroid mode; the toy's is perfect, while the model's looks like a cape. The cockpit of the model and its canopy also leave a lot to be desired, as does the front landing gear, but I ascribe those flaws to the kit's scale and vintage.

I'm still looking forward to the 1/60 toy, however. I'm definitely getting one to test the waters - Silvie's I assume; if it impresses me I'll get Nexx's and any other color variant Evolution produces. If I'm disappointed, the first will also be the last, but at least I'll have one piece to represent this most unlikely of Valkyries in toy form; other than Bandai's tiny 1/250 fighter gashapon, that is.

I was just looking on the transformation lineart on this one. It has a complicated transformation sequence for the pelvic/thigh joint. I'm still optimistic on this valk. Let's hope Evolution Toy gets it right. And yeah, hope they make the legs a little 'fatter'. ;)

post-5552-0-38401500-1434590295_thumb.jpg

Sometimes, well, most of the times, my curiousity gets ahead of me. I was checking the VF-2SS line arts from the Macross Mecha Manual. And I wonder. Did they design this Valk with SAP in their mind for upcoming release depends on the success of the naked valk? Coz, if I'm just going to compare between the 1/100 kit from the announced 1/60 figure, I'll choose the 1/100 proportion. Now, just by using that said proportion and put a SAP unit on it, I think it would look out of proportion. Too bulky looking. Coz remember, on the SAP leg armor conceals a rail gun and even on the arm armor as well. So by thinking of this 1/60 figure with the SAP pack on it, probably it will look much better. And that's just basing on the line art.

And just by looking at the line arts, I really wish that they could all incorporate those rail guns in the armor compartment. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen the real sample in that in shop exhibition, I had given a no to the pics from previous megazines, after seeing the real thing.... that kind of design is like somthing from last decade... its display in fighter mode, but exposed all the fouls, the flipped arms does not have the square end cover like Y/A/B, they just exposed the circular plam base with hollow spaces... the worst thing is the legs are connected with a transformation frame, but the whole frame is thick and just totally exposed under the fighter belly, even a transformers toy won't do this these days... I just hope Arcadia will consider to release this and the metal siren.

Edited by CRYO

I can't seem to find that hinge on the engine in the line art.

And you're not going to either, clearly this company isn't going to make it as perfect as Yamato/Arcadia or Bandai can. In the end this will be alot like the Old 1/55 Valks, not perfect but they looked like the VF-1.

Until Arcadia or Bandai announce their own version of VF-2SS, this is good enough for me!

Great picture of fighter mode, thanks for posting. Does it look perfect? No; but it does look pretty good, to be honest. It definitely does not seem as sophisticated as recent efforts by Yamato/Arcadia or Bandai; but it's nowhere near as crude as the old 1/55 brick, or even Yamato's 1/72 M+ or v1 1/60 VF-1, I'd rate it far closer to something between an HCM and v1 VF-25.

And you're not going to either, clearly this company isn't going to make it as perfect as Yamato/Arcadia or Bandai can. In the end this will be alot like the Old 1/55 Valks, not perfect but they looked like the VF-1.

Until Arcadia or Bandai announce their own version of VF-2SS, this is good enough for me!

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably going to buy it. I'm just going to fluctuate between excited and bitter until it gets here.