Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

The toy gods have must've been hearing my prayers this year, because two things have now occurred that I never would've believed: the return of the Hi-Metal toys and a transforming 1/60 VF-2SS toy.

I'm curious to see how Evolution Toy handles the VF-2SS' transformation. The VF-2SS features an unconventional transformation that's better suited for 2D animation than a physical 3D representation. Its designers did toy sculptors no favors when designing this mecha, so I have to tip my hat to Evolution Toy for tackling it anyways.

This prototype's sculpt looks pretty good, but the canopy should be more round. And like everyone else said, the landing gears look awfully bland. But I don't think that there's any published line art that shows what the landing gears should look like in the first place. Regardless of its minor warts, this is a day 1 pre-order for me :D

have kinda always wanted this in toy form. built the model kit as a teen. this thing doesn't have the giant strike pack though. for the price...it really should include it. also this looks a touch simpler, less refined and less involved than yamato and arcadias valks. not sure how popular Macross II is but to justify the price i am assuming it is popular somehow.

Edited by Mechapilot77

I guess the price is in line with what we get these days. Hopefully they're still working on the elbow articulation. It hold its rifle like a Chunky Monkey.

even though i'm not sure about this release i will be quite annoyed if they don't get decent elbow articulation and a bicep swivel in there. yamato's double jointed elbow should be standard by now especially at this pricing level

I so love this design! I so want it to be sleek... but the aircraft mode definitely is "clunky" and the joints seem very old school too. Not very impressed with their interpretation so far. Any info on this toy company? The Battroid mode is better.

I would love Arcadia or Bandai to have a crack at this - but does this mean Evolution Toys has the rights for this for now?

I really can't understand the people who are enthusiastic for this. It looks bad in every mode and the price is too high.

I know we're all used to overpaying for what we get but this really crosses the line. This is the kind of toy that might have impressed me back in the 1990s but in this day and age it's just insulting.

I did like this mecha in the anime, but the prototypes look underwhelming to me. Probably will pass on this. But knowing me, I'll probably end up looking at your pictures after you've got the toy in hand and will somehow get Jedi mind-tricked into thinking that it looks pretty good and end up buying it anyway.

I want to like it, but it looks off to me. The shape of the thigh is too smooth, like the VF-1, instead of having that nice characteristic bump above the knee. The forearms look too large to me as well, and the seam line almost makes half of the arm look like a FAST pack add-on. The elbow and aft upper thruster joints look overly large, and the knee joints are exposed. There's more I see, but those are the things I see at first glance. I have to echo Wm Cheng's sentiment about a lack of sleekness...the old Bandai model got more things right aesthetically. I'm glad someone's attempting to make the VF-2, but I also hope they'll read the criticisms and adjust their design accordingly. Like alot of folks here, I'd like a nice VF-2 toy.

This seems more along the quality of the Studio Half-Eye and Experten transformable valkyrie kits which never really impressed me in any way.

Definitely not the sort of quality you would expect from Arcadia or Bandai. Reminds me more of a garage kit and the price seems about what you would expect from one also.

The Experten made VFs ranged between 18,000 - 25,000 yen, were smaller at only 1/100 scale, and looked cruddy as hell.

I'm not sure how much the S.H.E. stuff cost, but I'm sure they were expensive as well.

Not a fan of the execution either... not on par with other 1/60 toys or even some third party TFs and MP line. But as the others are saying... I'm glad someone else is throwing their hat in the ring for more Macross toys. Would definitely be interested in a VF-2SS SAP just to display in fighter mode.

As a huge VF-2SS fan I like what I see so far, if it had the SAP Armor I'd really be stoked! I'll wait to see what the final product looks like before taking the plunge.

P.S. my wallet just screamed at me again! :lol:

I dunno how much bearing this will have on the VF-2SS toy, but here is my review of Evolution Toy's Big Dai X figure. It's from their Dynamite Action line and features some degree of transformation. Hopefully this will give everyone an idea of what their toys are like.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2014/big_dai_x

Josh also reviewed their Albegas (Gladiator Voltron) which also converts a little bit.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2014/albegas

Edited by VF5SS

Not a fan of the execution either... not on par with other 1/60 toys or even some third party TFs and MP line. But as the others are saying... I'm glad someone else is throwing their hat in the ring for more Macross toys. Would definitely be interested in a VF-2SS SAP just to display in fighter mode.

I'm also glad to see a third party throwing their hat in the ring but this just looks like garbage. When anyone asks how much my yamatos or bandais cost, for the most part I can answer without shame, knowing that I paid for the best possible toy engineering available at the time.

I don't think I could do the same with this half assed garbage.

Let's give the company a shot at least and wait til more photos show up before we start tearing it apart. Cos the mud-slinging is happening quicker than anyone can cancel their as-yet-unannounced preorders for this thing :p

it is mwf, it is not the same without the mud-slinging

it is mwf, it is not the same without the mud-slinging

It's a range of opinions... don't know why people keep thinking it's exclusive to MWF... some people never wander out of these forums... it's a clueless thing to say every time I read it.