Best Toy or Model VF-1 for Reference?

Aurel Tristen

Hello. I have a question, and I wanted to ask those of you in the know since I haven't ever followed the model or toy stuff for Macross.

I'm working on a 3D model of the VF-1 (as always) and I want to get a toy or model to help me. I have some really great references, all orthographic, but for me, holding a physical representation in my hands makes things much easier. Plus, I wouldn't mind having the thing left over to decorate my desk.

My question is, in your collective opinions, what would be my best buy? I feel like a toy might be a better option since I don't have to put it together, and it'll survive being handled on a regular basis, and my conclusion has been to try and find a 'Perfect Transformation' unit from Yamato. There is the slight problem of it being around $400, so if that IS my best bet, what are some alternatives?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

... and if you're not too partial to Arcadia's VF-1J 30th "clown in a tux" version, and don't mind spending about $3 more, there is Yamato's VF-1A CF DYRL? Movie version which may still be available: http://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7119-vf-1a-movie-with-optional-parts-30th-anniversary.html

Edited by mechaninac

The Yamato v2 is probably your best bet if you only want to have to buy one toy that will provide a pretty good representation in all three modes. If you want to be a real stickler about it, different toys or models might give you a better representation for a particular mode. The tricky thing about the VF-1 (and most of the other Macross valks) is the way proportions vary depending on what mode you're in -- like a longer nosecone makes fighter mode look better, but looks odd in battroid mode. I know the modeling guys really like the non-transformable Hasegawa kits because the sculpts are optimized to have the best proportions for each mode.

As a starting point for basic overall dimensions and functions, any v2 VF-1 from Yamato or the Arcadia releases is your best option. They are pretty much 95% (or greater) accurate or true to the form.

Those ones from HKC are pretty well priced. They are "A" & "J" variants but it would be easy enough to model a different head unit from images off the net!

You surely won't need to spend upwards of $400 unless you were getting something a lot more rare or special.

Maybe you can find someone on this forum who lives close by who is willing to lend you one. I have 3 currently boxed up as im out of display room but im in Australia so that wouldn't work..

Then I would get hold of some official line art material or the VF-1 Master Files to find and or correct any other minor details / inaccuracies.

Best of luck with your project! B))

Thanks for the replies and good information everyone.

My intent is to use a transformable model/toy because I intend to have my model transform as well, and I need to use some of the same cheats that the toys use. In fact, that is one of the best reasons to have one, VS just line art. The line art I have right now is amazing, but it doesn't help me figure out those tricks to really make things work.

It sounds like I should be looking at the Yamato V2 at this point then? I like the S variant of course, but that isn't a big deal for the sake of using it for a reference, though the ones with the really crazy paint jobs might not help as much as the flat ones.

Can one of you point me to a reputable website where I can find a Yamato V2? The ones I'm seeing on this http://www.hkcollectibles.com website don't specify the manufacture or version and they're almost all out of stock. I'll also be posting in the Wanted section just in case someone has one on hand. It would rock not having to wait 4-6 weeks for one to be flown half way across the planet.

Again, thanks everyone for the help!

Here is a picture of my current progress. Note that this is the 4th or 5th time I've modeled this thing from scratch.

No, I'm not asking for the impossible. The toys do their best to represent each mode, which is an ideal roadmap to do the same with a 3D model. I'm not expecting it to look like the anime in each mode. In fact, the references I'm working off of appear to have been designed for just that, a transformable design that also retains as much of the classic look as possible.

I can also cheat in ways a toy can't, such as having parts collapse into oneanother (unseen) or by adding highly complex and hidden parts too. The toys are just really great for, say, looking at the way the intake ramps are shaped. They morph in all three axises, which make them really hard to make out via a 2D Orthographic.

Those two that are available at HKC are both v2 or greater Yamato and Arcadia releases making them basically the same apart from the obvious visual differences such as paint scheme and head unit. If you select speedpost you should get them within a week or two max.

JVM is right though.. no toy can replicate the actual transformation. It can only get somewhat close in basic terms but the rest is done with anime magic! So cheating physics will be necessary!

Edited by spanner76

If you order from http://www.hkcollectibles.com, it should take around 2 weeks to get to you for the register-airmail. If you want it faster, it's about $10 more and should get to you around 7 days. The reason most are out of stock is because YAMATO is no more, the new company is Arcadia.

I was going to recommend getting the VF-1J armor instead but that wont be out until middle of May.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-009563

Also if you are going to be just using it for reference, maybe a model kit would be better since it comes with all the pieces un-assemble, its a transformable model kit. more details about it in the Model section.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37595&page=14&hl=%2B172+%2Bbandai#entry1046384

Can can be purchase at AMIAMI around $30 before shipping

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-3527&page

"Plus, I wouldn't mind having the thing left over to decorate my desk."

You know, Aurel Tristen, this is how a collector is born. You get one and you just have to have that variant and the next thing you know, you have 15-20 of them.

Best. ;)

Edited by NightCastle

I think the Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 Valkyrie is one of the most satisfying design proportion compromises in the transition from anime to 3D model. It's a good place to start.

Although, I would be curious to see someone at least once try to build a reasonable compromise 3D model using the 1/72 scale Hasegawa Battroid and Fighter plastic models of the VF-1 as their base. The Hasegawa 1/72 scale Battroid is still to this day one of the most awesome looking renditions of the VF-1 robot ever made in plastic :)