Lego SDF-1 DYRL WIP

Brick_Sash

That looks great! The antenna kinda look big, bu toverall, that is great looking and overly "studdy" looking like soem LEGO builds can get. - MT

Thanks Mechtech ! The antenna are one of the areas where I had to get along with the limitations of Lego. I was looking for a fin/wing like element that is 1 stud wide and at least 2-4 studs long. But such element does unfortunately not exist. There is a wing element that is 4 studs wide and could be easily be modified and cut down with a dremel. But as I mentioned previously, I want to keep this build clean of modified/ altered pieces.

However, should Lego ever release a part that is more suitable, I won't think twice to replace the antenna with a new element.

Wow, just wow, nice work

daaannnggg! this is coming along very nicely indeed! cannot wait to see more! B))

Thanks guys ! I appreciate the kind words !

Edited by Brick_Sash

I have to say I've been jaded by many projects that I read about that start well in the ideas/planning stages but then fizzle when it comes to implementation. I can't tell you how great it is to see that not happening in this case! Lovely build so far and a huge undertaking, to say the least.

Very nice job so far!

Back to that jaded, comment, this community has consistently not let me down on that one - I think we get more "hey guys, check out what I'm working on" to finished product threads than most I frequent. We've got some true visionaries here.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3071.jpg

I IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

I took a short break and dedicated the last two weekends to my family. But now I'm back on track. I had to change the two antena located at the end of the upper hull. The element that I used in LDD is out of production, there was also a problem with the connection, the 1x1 angular bricks wouldn't snap into place.

I can't remember If I mentioned this earlier, the ship is no longer build modular. I was worried that the pegs would loose their tightness over time, due to the weight, something that I have obeserved on bigger LEGO Ultimate Collector Series sets.

I know that the gaps would bother me.

I modified the frame to be continuous intead of having connections that hold two modules via pegs.

I can left the ship up at any part the hull, without having to worry that something will fall off.

I have to say I've been jaded by many projects that I read about that start well in the ideas/planning stages but then fizzle when it comes to implementation. I can't tell you how great it is to see that not happening in this case! Lovely build so far and a huge undertaking, to say the least.

Very nice job so far!

Back to that jaded, comment, this community has consistently not let me down on that one - I think we get more "hey guys, check out what I'm working on" to finished product threads than most I frequent. We've got some true visionaries here.

Thank you very much Mickyg ! As much as possible, I will do my best to see this through. There are many variables in life; family, job, health etc., I guess you know where I'm going with this...

Sometimes it can be challenging to see these kind of projects through to the end.

Edited by Brick_Sash

That's looking great! My son wants one now :p - MT

Thanks ! Haha, I'm sure he'd love it. It's just a little bit too heavy to be picked up and played with :p

Excellent application of SNOT techniques.

I imagine your BrickLink expenses are tallying up, but it's worth it.

Thanks a lot! I used Lego's PAB and the replacement parts catalog to order the elements I need. Some of the mark ups on Bricklink are just ridiculous.

So far, I've spent approx. 550$ on bricks.

• 3 months later...

I recall you put the LDD file up for sale.... I suggest you do that through rebrickable.com and other MOC sites too....

I was planning to sell the LDD file, but I decided to finish the actual build first. I made some improvements to the frame and some other important

changes to improve the overall sturdiness of the MOC.

Once I'm done I'll consider if I'll sit down and take the time to work on some instructions. But for now I just want to concentrate on finishing it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Could you please name me some other MOC sites besides mocpages.com ?

Here is the latest progress. I improved the docking blocks, they are much thicker and stronger now. Holding up the ARM carriers should no longer be an issue (I hope so).

14517633_1631669030459318_79973351696142

14494708_1631712457121642_74890151577492

14463077_1631712463788308_38141907357543

14485050_1631712477121640_53406325050046

14479736_1631712483788306_69209042440094

14519776_1631712510454970_51257981578142

Edited by Brick_Sash

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, MechTech said:

That looks  great!!!  Also congratulations on being one of the few people here to start something that big and actually finish it! - MT

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that ! I enjoyed every moment working on this project, and at the end I can say that it was worth the effort.

As a long term Lego collector who has easily spent as much on Lego as Macross, I am in awe of this build.  I often wondered when someone might try and do this correctly.

Id be up for building one of these, brick link and my Lego account would take a bashing ;)

Awesome work.

19 hours ago, big F said:

As a long term Lego collector who has easily spent as much on Lego as Macross, I am in awe of this build.  I often wondered when someone might try and do this correctly.

Id be up for building one of these, brick link and my Lego account would take a bashing ;)

Awesome work.

Thank you ! I hope you get to build your own SDF-1 one day. I love Lego but I have a feeling that other themes are being dominated by anything Star Wars.

You get dozens of replies/feedback for the 100th iteration of an AT AT, Star Destroyer or Millennium Falcon, but out standing MOC's in other themes often fall through the cracks.

I'd love to see more attempts on Macross other themed MOCs.

That seems to be one of the main problems on the fan build submission site, they have ignored so many really good AFOL creations just to go with something that they can turn into a commercial piñata. The amount of builds over the years that have made the 10,000 votes and dissapeared into the void afterwards, it can't all be down to Lego saying it would be commercially to expensive or difficult for builders to make. Not when they can toute a personalised mosaic picture of yourself with a total of £25 worth of bricks for £100, and people que up to get one. 

Would you you consider making the build file available for the ARMD 01 available ? I've always loved them as a design, I've tried the LDD on several occasions and can honestly say I'm crap at it. Give me a vat of bricks and a few days and I can build stuff, but the budget doesn't stretch to the random bulk buying of new and used boxes of Lego that it used to do. So that kinda approach is out of reach now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2016 at 6:06 PM, big F said:

That seems to be one of the main problems on the fan build submission site, they have ignored so many really good AFOL creations just to go with something that they can turn into a commercial piñata. The amount of builds over the years that have made the 10,000 votes and dissapeared into the void afterwards, it can't all be down to Lego saying it would be commercially to expensive or difficult for builders to make. Not when they can toute a personalised mosaic picture of yourself with a total of £25 worth of bricks for £100, and people que up to get one. 

Would you you consider making the build file available for the ARMD 01 available ? I've always loved them as a design, I've tried the LDD on several occasions and can honestly say I'm crap at it. Give me a vat of bricks and a few days and I can build stuff, but the budget doesn't stretch to the random bulk buying of new and used boxes of Lego that it used to do. So that kinda approach is out of reach now. 

Let me clean up the file before I post it. I made some questionable choices, like using a 1x2  and 2x2 in places where I could have used a 2x3 plate. I fixed those issues when I made the actual build. It seems like I was a bit in a rush when I built the ARMD carriers.

• 2 weeks later...