M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

a few pics of the work in progress, total length is 20 cm (1/60):

*snips*

Kudos to you. For the life of me I can't figure out how to use these programs

Edited by wmkjr

Thank you! Kurisama! GU-11, yes it is Sketchup

You have my respect, friend! Sketchup doesn't usually play nice with curves and organic shapes. I'm guessing you used curviloft for the curved shapes. Either way, it's beautifully done.

Will this be a model kit or a single solid piece?

I kind of gave up on finding an handy curve addon for sketchup, so for the moment, I will take full credit of the congratulations for the handcraft!

This is going to be multiple parts, using as much as possible the 3D printing capabilities to not have the model cut in halves but cut where the pieces change color and also by providing easier shapes to sand (also making possible slimmer pieces than what the 3d printer can output by sanding).

The model will hopefully have retractable laser canon, rotating attaching arm and opening land launching trap (don't know yet, but I feel I can take the X-9 launching booster and make it adaptable to the fighter drone)

These are the goals, I will do my best to reach them ;)

I kind of gave up on finding an handy curve addon for sketchup, so for the moment, I will take full credit of the congratulations for the handcraft!

This is going to be multiple parts, using as much as possible the 3D printing capabilities to not have the model cut in halves but cut where the pieces change color and also by providing easier shapes to sand (also making possible slimmer pieces than what the 3d printer can output by sanding).

The model will hopefully have retractable laser canon, rotating attaching arm and opening land launching trap (don't know yet, but I feel I can take the X-9 launching booster and make it adaptable to the fighter drone)

If you get one scaled to 1/72, I'm down for one.

Nice! I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished results.

It looks great! I'm sure the design is patterned after the Firebee drone. They were water or airborne recovered too, no landing gear.

The sculpt is coming along great!-MT

I began to upload test parts on Shapeways and it seems that the whole Fighter Drone won't be other 80 USD to be printed in White Strong and Flexible.

I am encountering several challenges mostly because of moving parts, I don't think they would be doable on the 1/72 model, I am thinking of the retractable laser canon by exemple.

Anyway I will post some pics when I can

Edited by Xigfrid

Very nice. I was just talking to one of the members here about making this, and low and behold, it's here. Talk about the stars being right or something. If it can be hollowed out in certain places, you definitely should have space for little moving parts. For the retractable gun, I can see it resembling a sort of recessed switch with a small tab on it. I do my design stuff in Solidworks, so it's a bit different than this program, but I love the look of it. It'd be nice to have something to consume my 19's other ordinance. Anyways, not sure, but if you want any help or anything, let me know.

As for the X-9, I have a kit of it in 1/72 with the boosters/fast packs. Great kit, and at 1/72, it's quite large. I always had the feeling it was bigger than 1/72. In any case, Xigfrid, if you want references for it, let me know.

For the moment I got these moving parts:

-laser canon slides in and out with a little tab to pull it out

-launching arm that can be deployed to mimic the attachment to the Starwing wing

I still can't decide about the land-launching trap (bottom of the drone) if it should open / close or only panel lined. I can use this trap and make a Yamato compatible attachment stand from this hole or even a launching arm style display stand, but for this later addon I lack imagination.

The general shape is finalized now, there are many steps left:

-adding the details for the drone internal camera

-finish the moving parts and mechanisms (deciding about the trap)

-surface subdividing and smoothing on the main body

-Yamato compatible stand

-etc

a few pics of the parts on the Shapeways thickness validation interface, this interface gives a good idea of the finish printed part.

post-15880-0-91228600-1431679203_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-35795300-1431679206_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-30091500-1431679213_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-82780400-1431679216_thumb.jpg

Another option for the forward laser, is to simply have it attach/detach from the main body. It'd keep the laser accurate to the line art. So far, I'm really liking where it's going. Great work.

I separated the reactor from the intake to make it easier to paint.

Added details on the reactor intake.

Yamato/Arcadia stand adapter is also complete.

I am trying to make it printable before the end of the week so that I can test fit it. I have put them online as separate parts but I will try to make one single printing batch to reduce costs (Shapeways charges at least of 1.00 USD per seperate print)

post-15880-0-21799300-1431972166_thumb.png

post-15880-0-23725300-1431972173_thumb.png

post-15880-0-48923100-1431972182_thumb.png

post-15880-0-14643900-1431972195_thumb.png

post-15880-0-41316700-1431972507_thumb.png

post-15880-0-31248200-1431972519_thumb.png

post-15880-0-35893100-1431976444_thumb.png

Edited by Xigfrid

This is great work and entertaining to watch unfold.

Regarding the nose, I think the front end and the "dome" are not straight rounded curves, but somewhat flat at the peak point. See the colored 3/4 view on the first page. The purple colored stripe above the Macross kite at the front gives you a good idea of the cross section of the dome.

I see what you mean in fact this portion of the nose is already made of two curves but I think that I have rounded it too much after the purple stripe, I will rework it a little in that direction, thank you!

The bottom nose is still not processed, I agree it should be more square than the top portion

How many parts is this thing total?

For the moment, it is 12 parts, 13 if counting the small rear trap.

I haven't finished the nose, but there would be at least 2 additional clear parts that would be cut into a recycled 1.5L Coca bottle to make the front windows.

I am pretty happy with the general lines and the detailing.

There are a few internal mechanisms and the bottom window to finish on the nose, but you got the general idea of how the drone would look like.

I still can change things, so don't hesitate if you find design / line art errors!

post-15880-0-70776500-1432082761_thumb.png

post-15880-0-90286600-1432082768_thumb.png

post-15880-0-47688400-1432082771_thumb.png

post-15880-0-93623400-1432082774_thumb.png

post-15880-0-90634800-1432082778_thumb.png

post-15880-0-13054800-1432082790_thumb.png

Edited by Xigfrid