Model Feedback

Galaxy_Stranger

Thanks!

Do you see anything I need to focus on improving? Each piece I did 3 or 4 times to try and get the contours right. I'm still not certain it's more complex than it needs to be. And even the nice othrographics I got a hold of don't quite line up. There are inconsistencies here and there.

I finally figured out Smooth Shading in Blender ;-p

post-29386-0-68187100-1428385244_thumb.png

post-29386-0-85672100-1428385250_thumb.png

It looking good , proportions also good - nice renders

Some advise from somebody that's been here a while :-

1. Do your own thing - you are never going to get a perfect model from 2D to 3D as all these designs were created with 2D pencil and you need to make some changes to get them "right" in 3D.

2. This is suppose to be fun - enjoy

3. Everybody that I have seen here has their own "style" - do what feels right for you .

:lol:

Edited by Rodavan

Very much agree with Rodavan. Make sure to forge your own path and design your VF-1 with the proportion compromises you prefer. Only the Frontier mecha were designed with accurate proportions, so any VF-1 model is going to be an interpretation, even the "official" models in things like the Variable Fighter Master File pictures.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, I'm fast realizing that this is just going to have to be an interpretation. Personally, I like the fat, cartoony features better than the plastic model style architecture because - what you saw on the TV was the canon material.

Really, I'm asking for feedback on the modeling itself. For example, the chest plate is a real pain and the pattern of lines and vertices to get that curvature doesn't look very symmetrical to me - looks kind of random. So, I don't have a point of reference on what modeling techniques that would normally be used.

Also, isn't there a thing where you can model an object and have it completely mirrored on the opposite axis - what is that called? So, like when I do a wing - it automatically creates the other wing as I'm building it. Isn't that a thing? Is it related to the Mirror modifier?

-=[EDIT]=-

I figured it out in Blender - it's another function of the Mirror modifier. Kinda Quirky, though.

Edited by Galaxy_Stranger

Not sure if this the correct response but here goes

Let me try and explain :

Blender is a polygon modeller software – meaning that all entities are either 3 or 4 sided polygons ( x,y,z). Polygon models are commonly used for animation and model that are more organic shapes .

A typical work flow for a poly model is :

1. Plan , plan and plan some more
  2. Place a sketch of object you to model in background as reference
  3. Use primitives to build basic shapes your model
  4. Using point , edges or polygons to shape your model with transform tools
  5. UV edit the model for texture map
  6. Create texture MAP
  7. MAP to UV ( detail colour , panel lines . etc)
  8. Prepare animation or composite
  9. Render

This is very very basic description . Most guys model basics shapes and then use texture maps to add detail like colour , panel lines and dirt etc.

You get low polygon and hi polygon models – the higher the polygon count the more detail and bigger the file.

So it is up to you if you want to model each panel on the VF individually or use a texture map to add it – both has merit but to model each panel individually takes a lot more time and patients.

To model each individual panels , I create my basic shape , then cut it into sections using Boolean's. I then use fillets on the borders to round the seams and then the remove all the other parts of that section that doesn’t form part of the outside face of the panel.

The way I model :

The other option is using a CAD software – meaning all objects are intelligent and have an x,y.z and directional data. Typical model is used to create 2D drawings , manufacture( CAM) or engineering ( CAE/FEA) analysis.

Typical workflow

1. Plan , plan and plan some more
  2. Place sketch in background as reference.
  3. Construct the parts of your model using solids or surface tools
  4. Converts to polygon mesh
  5. Import in polygon modeller software ( Cinema 4D in my case)
  6. Reduce polygon count as much as possible as CAD generate very high poly’s
  7. UV and texture map ( not very easy for a CAD model)
  8. Render.

To answer you question about mirror options – it’s easier to have the two sides mirrored and to add small detail that is different so there is small changes but the bases is still same .

As for blender sorry I am trying to learn it and uses Rhino (CAD) to model , but I used this before

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Mirror

Not sure this is going to helpful but have a look at this link http://www.military-meshes.com/forum/showthread.php?7174-North-american-T6

Edited by Rodavan

Thanks for the info.

As for the Mirroring - that's what I've been doing with objects such as the chest plate. I create a cube, cut it in half, mirror it and then go from there. The OTHER type of mirroring I was trying to accomplish is for things that will become independent objects later on - such as the wings and tail fins. I also found this useful for making engines on a Star Wars Z-95 fighter's four engines. You create a cylinder, mirror it on the X and Y axis and you've just created four separate engines and only have to work on one.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Doom can handle these higher-poly models. The animations are going to be fun...

post-29386-0-23566000-1428815258_thumb.png

post-29386-0-88362700-1428815283_thumb.png