Good. My soul was about to be sucked into super-dimensional space and used as some entity's personal sex puppet... Oh wait, wrong universe.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

Ah, good catch. Dunno where my brain was that day. :lol:

The gist of it is that the sound energy/spiritia is a kind of fold wave... and from the sound of it, the sentient mind has some kind of low-level connection to super dimension space that can reflect/affect the emotional/mental state of the person. Kinda like the warp in Warhammer 40,000, but without the extradimensional horrors that want to eat your soul.

Potentially non-sentient minds as well - remember when severely injured Sivil sucked the Spiritia out of some very happy chirpy birds?

For me that implied that it was simply the state of emotion that triggered the creation of Spiritia energy; the more impassioned the individual was, the more Spiritia they would create. That's why the Varuta toyed with the VF-11 pilots before draining them, to make them more afraid, thus increasing the Spiritia harvest. Animal emotions also counted, though perhaps less potent than those animals that were self aware, like us.

Good. My soul was about to be sucked into super-dimensional space and used as some entity's personal sex puppet... Oh wait, wrong universe.

Your soul was about to be sucked into super-dimensional space and replaced with an energy being that was going to try to conquer the galaxy?

I just got it this morning from amazon.co.jp and ...... surprise !!!.... the book is bound backwards !!! :huh:. Although the pages were printed correctly, the first page of the book is the No. 123. Even the dust jacket is printed backwards (therefore it fits the book perfectly) <_<.

Was this made on purpose for Japanese reading (back to front ?) instead of european style this time, or was just a simple production error ?. I have all the VFMF books but none of them was printed back to front. Tochiro, Sketchley ? Your thoughts ...?

Edited by ivorysniper

I just got it this morning from amazon.co.jp and ...... surprise !!!.... the book is bound backwards !!! :huh:. Although the pages were printed correctly, the first page of the book is the No. 123. Even the dust jacket is printed backwards (therefore it fits the book perfectly) <_<.

Was this made on purpose for Japanese reading (back to front ?) instead of european style this time, or was just a simple production error ?. I have all the VFMF books but none of them was printed back to front. Tochiro, Sketchley ? Your thoughts ...?

It's normal for Japan (looking closely at the text - it's top to bottom, right to left). What was odd is that the VFMF books were printed in the non-standard European style.

It's normal for Japan (looking closely at the text - it's top to bottom, right to left). What was odd is that the VFMF books were printed in the non-standard European style.

Thanks for the feedback, Sketchley !.

My book arrived this morning. Very interesting that it's bound and written the opposite, even if that is the way they do it in Japan. Not nearly as many photos (for those of us who can't read and just like to look at the pictures) but I do have to say that the CG artists are getting damn good at integrating the CG models with the background photos. These are the best photos of all the MF books. And so many awesome pics of the Ariel YF-19 too!

Edited by Mommar

The pictures I have seen don't show canards on the NUNS white and orange VF-19. In fact the text under it on one of the pages clearly identifies it as a VF-19F, which didn't have canards. Not only that, but the artwork pretty consistently shows a VF-19F.

The pictures I have seen don't show canards on the NUNS white and orange VF-19. In fact the text under it on one of the pages clearly identifies it as a VF-19F, which didn't have canards. Not only that, but the artwork pretty consistently shows a VF-19F.

Do you own the book?

Mine is still on the way with an Amiami order. I preordered as soon as I heard it was another book by those VFMF guys :D

Same boat as others...I'm only gawkin at pictures because I'm an illiterate caveman :)

Edited by xrentonx

Know what, I really love the look of that white and orange striped VF-19. But it's even more unique because it has the stubby F/S wings BUT it also has canards like the earlier 19 designs.

gallery_12176_640_102550.jpg

gallery_12176_640_489718.jpg

Case in point, you should stop pretending you know everything. Jackass.

16554357723_131ef1d680_o.jpg

You want to eat my ass with jam or syrup?

I stand corrected, however, the last comment was a bit unnecessary. I ain't afraid to be wrong, I'm just used to presenting things from a standpoint of certainty. Still, the pages that I have seen show a VF-19F, and identify it as such. Perhaps, this is an inaccuracy, or, There is an Atmospheric optimization option. I can't explain it.

I'll work on my phrasing, and next time you decide to call someone out, don't be such a frakking shithead about it, good to go?

Interesting.

The 2039 era VF-19F on Pg 37 doesn't have canards, but the 2064 era VF-19F on Pg 80 does. Yet the 2064 era VF-19F on Pg 120 does not have them.

Do those have two different modex numbers? I want to say the one without canards is 208, and the one with is 209.

All 3 have (37, Pg 80 and Pg 120) have the same modex number (209), and the same squadron info (White Beaks).

Edited by sketchley

So Sketchley, is it just the one picture with canards? Could it be as I suggested an atmospheric optimization option? Or would it be an inconsistency? Or perhaps the artist thought it would look cool both ways?

It wouldn't be the first time someone stuck canards onto the F/S variant...

*points to Basara's VF-19 Custom, which Chronicle suggests (on Mechanic Sheet ALL 02) was customized from a VF-19F, and to the VF-19EF.*

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So Sketchley, is it just the one picture with canards? Could it be as I suggested an atmospheric optimization option? Or would it be an inconsistency? Or perhaps the artist thought it would look cool both ways?

1) just the one piccie

2/3/4) dunno. There's no caption around it. Someone would actually have to read the story. (Skimming and scanning for the VF model number is one thing, reading that text...)

I stand corrected, however, the last comment was a bit unnecessary. I ain't afraid to be wrong, I'm just used to presenting things from a standpoint of certainty. Still, the pages that I have seen show a VF-19F, and identify it as such. Perhaps, this is an inaccuracy, or, There is an Atmospheric optimization option. I can't explain it.

I'll work on my phrasing, and next time you decide to call someone out, don't be such a frakking shithead about it, good to go?

When you spoke to me like I was wrong after admitting you didn't have the book, when in a post one above I said it had arrived, you went ahead and assumed you knew what you were talking about and tried to prove to me you were right. There's a difference between being wrong and being stupid. If you wanted to see the pic you could have just asked instead of trying to challenge or attempt to disprove me.

It wouldn't be the first time someone stuck canards onto the F/S variant...

*points to Basara's VF-19 Custom, which Chronicle suggests (on Mechanic Sheet ALL 02) was customized from a VF-19F, and to the VF-19EF.*

But this is the first time we've seen one of the stubby winged versions with the canards.

There is a photo difference between the two 19 images. The first, it's definitely within atmosphere. The second, if it's in the atmosphere it's VERY high up, possibly an exit trajectory? I can't read Japanese so I don't know. Regardless, I think the stubby wings with the canards is rather attractive.

But this is the first time we've seen one of the stubby winged versions with the canards.

There is a photo difference between the two 19 images. The first, it's definitely within atmosphere. The second, if it's in the atmosphere it's VERY high up, possibly an exit trajectory? I can't read Japanese so I don't know. Regardless, I think the stubby wings with the canards is rather attractive.

Is it now? Behold the VF-19EF.

post-2536-0-60296100-1429305603_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifcomparison.jpg

It is and it isn't. I should have been specific to the style of wings on the F/S models as the EF has it's own, sort of stubby style of wing. We need one of those as a toy as well.

When were those EF's in operation? Would be cool to see them in Delta. As a matter of fact it would be a good idea to put them in there. Bandai could rework their 19 mold and have another one to milk.

Edited by Mommar

When you spoke to me like I was wrong after admitting you didn't have the book, when in a post one above I said it had arrived, you went ahead and assumed you knew what you were talking about and tried to prove to me you were right. There's a difference between being wrong and being stupid. If you wanted to see the pic you could have just asked instead of trying to challenge or attempt to disprove me.

Ok, I'm not going to have this turn into a pissing contest. I was wrong about the one picture that showed canards, and I'll admit that my phrasing was abrupt and confrontational. You are correct there is a difference between being wrong and being stupid, however that doesn't necessarily apply here. I made a statement based off of what I knew, and I was wrong. My presentation of evidence to support my case could have been worded much better, however I would not call that being stupid, merely uninformed. You took offense to something that should not have been offensive to begin with, I suggest you reread my original post on the matter:

Where did I explicitly state you were wrong? Granted the last line could be taken as such, but given the context of the post, It's apparent that I was speaking from what I knew, which in hindsight was based off of incomplete information.

Now. This is the last I want to say on the matter. I apologize for your misinterpretation of my post as a challenge, I shall endeavor to be less confrontational and more precise in my words from this point forward.

Now, If you still feel that I have offended your sensibilities, feel free to continue calling me stupid, and acting a fool. I'm done with this little spat, so now we can get back to the topic at hand.

This thread is giving me a stubby :)

Seriously, there's no harm in debate. That's what this should be, a debate, not a fight. IMO, no one had any malicious intent, so let's maintain perspective. Everyone on this board has been proven wrong about something, many times. Board history is all there.

I'm curious, is there any uncolored line art of the Macross mecha in this book? How about uncolored schematics? I'm currently doing a lot of new schematic work for the next update and I'm loving the Master Files for this. If this Archives has any black and white schematics, I might consider getting it.

attachicon.gifcomparison.jpg

I'll be honest and say I don't like the VF-19's wings, and how they hang off the legs in B mode, so anything that changes it up is ok AFAIAC. I really like the blue concept with trapezoidal wings in Design Works, I just wish the wings were attached to the back instead of the legs.

In actuality, the wing spans are the same (~26 cm on the toys, I just measured them). The geometries are different though, which makes the VF-19F's wings look stubby. The 19F has more wing area than the 19A, which actually helps the 19F in atmosphere over the previous 19's, with the possible exception of the 19E (That is if the 19E looks like the custom but with an F style head) I don't have a caliburn handy, but the wings might actually be shorter, but theey also look wider, which would keep the wing area similar, while decreasing the aspect ratio, and increasing the wing loading.

The caliburn might actually have more wing area than the 19A but less than the 19E/F/S. I don't really know what the purpose for the caliburn was (sketchley's stats say it was a monkey model, but I don't really know what that means...).

It is and it isn't. I should have been specific to the style of wings on the F/S models as the EF has it's own, sort of stubby style of wing.

Technically, it has TWO... at least, according to Variable Fighter Master File.

When were those EF's in operation? Would be cool to see them in Delta. As a matter of fact it would be a good idea to put them in there. Bandai could rework their 19 mold and have another one to milk.

They first appeared in Macross the Ride (2058), and a custom one called VF-19ADVANCE appeared in Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa (2059).

Goodness gracious... I didn't realize your tastes ran in that direction. :o:p

I'm curious, is there any uncolored line art of the Macross mecha in this book? How about uncolored schematics? I'm currently doing a lot of new schematic work for the next update and I'm loving the Master Files for this. If this Archives has any black and white schematics, I might consider getting it.

No, I'm afraid not... just some colored, and rather small, schematic views of fighter mode for the YF-19-3, VF-19F, VF-171EX and VF-25.

I'll be honest and say I don't like the VF-19's wings, and how they hang off the legs in B mode, so anything that changes it up is ok AFAIAC. I really like the blue concept with trapezoidal wings in Design Works, I just wish the wings were attached to the back instead of the legs.

I like the VF-19A/C's wing arrangement... the short, stubby wings on the F/S bug the hell out of me for reasons I honestly can't quite grasp.

The caliburn might actually have more wing area than the 19A but less than the 19E/F/S. I don't really know what the purpose for the caliburn was (sketchley's stats say it was a monkey model, but I don't really know what that means...).

Oh, a "Monkey Model" is a sort of deliberately (and significantly) reduced capacity version of an existing piece of military hardware intended for export. The term has its origins in Cold War Soviet export policies for military hardware.

The New UN Government of the 2050s was quite fed up with coup d'etat attempts and rebellions and so on, so they were a little on the reluctant side to permit emigrant fleets and planets to produce military hardware on the same level as the gear used by the core New UN Forces. That's also why they submitted a partially redacted set of specs for the YF-24 to the emigrant fleets and told them to make do instead of just GIVING them the YF-24.

As far as the purpose of the Caliburn... I suppose you could say that it was, in part, intended to evaluate hardware for the next-gen AVFs (like EX-Gear or the GU-17A) in practical operations. They were used by both SMS and the Frontier's "Round Table" NUNS Special Forces unit. Chelsea Scarlett and Isamu Dyson had custom ones with various extensive modifications (the VF-19ACTIVE and VF-19ADVANCE respectively).

Seriously, there's no harm in debate. That's what this should be, a debate, not a fight. IMO, no one had any malicious intent, so let's maintain perspective. Everyone on this board has been proven wrong about something, many times. Board history is all there.

No there aren't any schematics at all. It's a story book, not technical, the only thing uncolored is some of the character art. Everything else is CG models on photographs or the top/bottom livery images.

Watching all the Japanese macross shows again, and various other anime (SBS Yamato2199, Fairy Tail, etc...) and now this book, really getting me wanting to continue learning Japanese. If I can get proficient enough in reading it I might try to get my hands on some of the books...

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the new characters - and knowing it's a prequel work - I had a sobering recollection of Yang's line at Isamu's mission briefing in Plus:

"The commendations they were buried with are guaranteed to last a lifetime."

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for turning me onto this book, guys. Seeing Lucy McMillan re-drawn with even BIGGER boobs than before make This a must-have item...