Macross is still expensive

Stampeed Valkyrie

I haven't collected anything macross toy related since the days of Kevin with Valkyrie Exchange.. and Tam with TwinMoons... lol.

With that said I just started really looking at toy prices and wow!

Most go now for $200+ with some even climbing above $300.

I specifically got out of this when prices started climbing above $150 and the Mrs. was giving me the stink eye for paying $$$ on toys..

So what's the deal? Are the new toys holding their values? very few older toys did.. save the limited runs (Low Viz 1/48?)

I starting eyeing up the Arcadia 1/60 30th anniversary VF-1J... which may be my first Macross toy purchase in 10 years (lol) but not for $150 an up on the bay..

Just random thoughts here..

Rob

Well, OP bailed when stuff went upwards of $150....unless they don't want Bandai DX's....prices are still in his range....upper range of it admittedly...but still reasonable considering when he describes getting out of collecting valks....when was the last non-exclusive 1/48 released? 10+ years ago? Can't expect prices not to rise over time.... :rolleyes: Athough that would be nice! :)

eBay is not a very good indicator, especially if you use buy-now listed price instead of auction sold price. You missed many sales - Yamato 1:60v2 VF-1 were frequently half-price on HLJ 5+ years ago. The Arcada VF-1J 30th you are looking at were also half-priced last year in multiple stores. HKC used to have VF-19S listed for $135 - it's $152 now.

Macross collecting is expensive.Most after market items average at 20k yen including the DX Chogokin renewal line. Now Arcadia new molds begin at 30k and reissue molds with parts from 20k.

Don't forget these large scale, full gimmick, high end toys are considered as the "definitive version" of VF toys, meaning there is no better substitute, hence prices will only go north.

Gundam toys etc tend to have a model kit substitute hence won't go up as much.

As collectors, we tend to treat the obsolete version as junk, aka an expense but with Macross, there is little chance of perfect substitutes once a good version has been released. But then again, a 1/60 VF v3 would be likely. Usually one mold of a classic design would last up to 10 years or so. I expect to see a VF-1 v3 once Vf-0s and maybe SV-51s are renewed, in time for Macross Delta most likely around 2016 to 2018. Actually, I think it would be good if they release Delta towards the end of 2016 and then have a movie version/sequel to celebrate the 35th anniversary in 2018.

Uh oh - its the ol' stink eye again.

But you are in luck sir - Macross will be coming out with a less expensive, and fairly expansive line very soon:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41926&page=1

So I just read through 11 pages of what ifs..

This could be interesting.. and without having to sell a Kidney I could probably pick up a few.

As for the Arcadia/Yamato/Toynami whatever.. I can't justify the cost..

And on a related note... I just made my first Macross toy purchase (in 10+ years).. the SD Makuros Figure.. that looks pretty sweet.. probably get hell for it...

If someone has a lead on the 30th Anniversary VF1J thats not crazy prices.. lmk.

Rob

I'm not really gonna rant about luxury toys that have no bearing on our survival or well-being.

I'm just happy and fortunate that I can still obtain these toys while fulfilling my fiscal responsibilities ($$$Bills bills bills everywhere$$$)

Edited by Duymon

there is no doubting the high cost of collecting Macross mecha and personally I don't think its that bad. In fact I don't mind so much at all that they tend to lean on the more expensive side of things as it makes it feel like more of an accomplishment and more special when you can afford them! Im not what I would consider "well off" by any stretch of the imagination.. I just tend to spend more than I save but as Duymon put it, if you can afford to buy them and still manage to pay the necessities in life then you're laughing! ^_^

so keep em coming and I'll keep on buying em! :D

Generally, the Macross toys don't hold their value like the old chunky monkey in the past. If you think it's out of reach, wait for a few years when some new line comes out, members here will dump a few at a relatively affordable price. Or, save up and buy the one you really like.

I personally find it among the cheapest hobbies, even though I'm not actively collecting anymore.

...and before you start throwing stuff at me, hear me out.

The 2 big moulds of M7 can be found for cheap nowadays---for around USD 300 you can get both a VF19 and a VF17S.

If you just follow Arcadia, you have approximately one new mould per year. With minimal budgeting, that's very doable.

I stopped caring for Bandai releases seeing as it was a nightmare to order one and the end result did not justify the extreme means. If I was not going for MP transformers and third party figures, I'd be going for just Arcadia new moulds and calling it a day.