Least favorite piece in your collection?

auberondreaming

I thought it would be good to emphasize Chronocidal's point above. Each one of Bandai's 171 DX releases use this unique locking mechanism as part of the leg transformation. It can be tricky if you are coming from a different design like the VF-1 or the VF-25.

I never picked up the CF release, so I'll let someone else speak to its issues.

Sorry to derail things a bit about the one item, though I know a lot of people had trouble with the CF in particular. Mostly, they seemed to suffer from issues with the upper and lower black triangular pieces around the shoulder. I also believe these issues have been at least partially solved with shapeways replacements now, so they're not so much of a disaster anymore.

The leg twist locking issue was made worse on the CF by what seemed like a bad batch of plastic, but all of the variants share the potential for the leg to explode if not handled correctly. I'll leave the details of this to another thread.

Least favourite would be Bandai VF-25 valks (sold all of them...25F,25A, RVF-25). Dont get me wrong. The engineering that went into the toys is stunning (anime accurate, poseability, etc2), but as time goes by it just felt plastic. Donno why, maybe its the shiny plastic that they used, making them look like McDonald's happy meal toys, or maybe its just that I dont feel attached to the new show. Or maybe the valk design felt like a stone throw's away from VF-1 design, or backward compared to what we had in Plus. The 19/21 redefined the designs of valks both in battroid & fighter (gerwalk is given) when compared to the previous iteration (VF-1), but 25 felt like it went back to the VF-1.

I'll admit I was a little unsure about the 25 series Valk's when I first saw them in Frontier but they quickly grew on me and have really liked them ever since!

To me they have always come across as a somewhat "back to basics" design, I can see the VF-1 influence but they are still very unique and have many different transformation elements compared to the VF-1. Yes the 19 & 21 did redefine typical Valkyrie design and were considerably more complex in their appearance and transformation and although in someways it may seem that the 25 was a step backwards, maybe with the advancing technology (as per the Macross universe & timeline) it allowed the designers to revert back to a simpler platform and still achieve and surpass the performance of previous Valkyrie types. Of course this is only my opinion and not fact..

Thanks, Chronocidal. I appreciate the info.

On topic: I've had my share of bad luck with Yamato. As noted, I broke my RVF-171. I also have two Yamato VF-1 Valkyries that developed broken shoulders over time. Even so, I wouldn't rank these as my least favorite. Especially my VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Hikaru which now have replacement shoulder hinges.

My least favorite piece is the Robotech Masterpiece Sue Graham Shadow Fighter that funkymonkeyjavajunky already mentioned. It turned me off to Toynami. I sold mine last year.

Edited by technoblue

Least favourite would be Bandai VF-25 valks (sold all of them...25F,25A, RVF-25). Dont get me wrong. The engineering that went into the toys is stunning (anime accurate, poseability, etc2), but as time goes by it just felt plastic. Donno why, maybe its the shiny plastic that they used, making them look like McDonald's happy meal toys, or maybe its just that I dont feel attached to the new show. Or maybe the valk design felt like a stone throw's away from VF-1 design, or backward compared to what we had in Plus. The 19/21 redefined the designs of valks both in battroid & fighter (gerwalk is given) when compared to the previous iteration (VF-1), but 25 felt like it went back to the VF-1.

I'll back you on that. I owned Alto, Luca and a 171 at one point - But the 171 really started my dislike of them. Then my Alto got super loose after one transformation. Plus all the super/armor parts are so stupidly expensive. I just realized I wanted to focus on the Yammies.

I kept my Prophecy though because I love orange and the tampo is so amazing. One example is good.

I'll admit I was a little unsure about the 25 series Valk's when I first saw them in Frontier but they quickly grew on me and have really liked them ever since!

To me they have always come across as a somewhat "back to basics" design, I can see the VF-1 influence but they are still very unique and have many different transformation elements compared to the VF-1. Yes the 19 & 21 did redefine typical Valkyrie design and were considerably more complex in their appearance and transformation and although in someways it may seem that the 25 was a step backwards, maybe with the advancing technology (as per the Macross universe & timeline) it allowed the designers to revert back to a simpler platform and still achieve and surpass the performance of previous Valkyrie types. Of course this is only my opinion and not fact..

I have to agree that the v2 25 is remarkable, but for some reason I cant seem to find a place in me for them. For some reason it felt as though the 25/27/29/30 etc designs are made to be too advanced that they look overly cartoon-ish (apologies to all fans). That and the shiny ABS finish that makes them look toy-ish as opposed to the matte ABS finish on Yamato/Arcadia that makes them look like models. Well, what the hell am I saying, theyre all toys. Maybe Im just old school. haha..

I'll back you on that. I owned Alto, Luca and a 171 at one point - But the 171 really started my dislike of them. Then my Alto got super loose after one transformation. Plus all the super/armor parts are so stupidly expensive. I just realized I wanted to focus on the Yammies.

I kept my Prophecy though because I love orange and the tampo is so amazing. One example is good.

The tornado parts look a bit cartoonish too (again, apologies to all fans). Regardsless of the so-called "cons" of Bandai valks, I feel that more efforts were put in the design of Yamato/Arcadia valks (for example the landing gears). The curves and details on the Yamato/Arcadia also felt true to the design (VF/YF-19, VF/YF-22/21, VF-1, never owned a VF-17 and VF-4), even though they lack in tampo prints. Its as if theyre the artisan of valks, designed with valk-hipsters in mind. haha..

If there is one downfall to my VF-19F, it's the color. Shiny Blue isn't a good color scheme for a combat fighter... I got it because it's just like my YF-19, but with all the problems taken out. and granted it's a bit different, but overall it satisfies my desire for a good transforming Y/VF-19. I'm happy with my collection.

If there is one downfall to my VF-19F, it's the color. Shiny Blue isn't a good color scheme for a combat fighter... I got it because it's just like my YF-19, but with all the problems taken out. and granted it's a bit different, but overall it satisfies my desire for a good transforming Y/VF-19. I'm happy with my collection.

But is there really an advantage to using camouflage/low-viz paint schemes in the Macross universe? Almost all of the targeting is computer/radar assisted and a lot of the engagements are done outside of visual range (missile firing), so it provably doesn't matter what paint scheme they use.

I prefer to think of the more unusual paint schemes as just to reflect the personal taste of the pilot, similar to how people detail the cars and motorbikes.

But is there really an advantage to using camouflage/low-viz paint schemes in the Macross universe? Almost all of the targeting is computer/radar assisted and a lot of the engagements are done outside of visual range (missile firing), so it provably doesn't matter what paint scheme they use.

I prefer to think of the more unusual paint schemes as just to reflect the personal taste of the pilot, similar to how people detail the cars and motorbikes.

Also, back in WWII, P-51 and P-47 fighters flew with blue noses, red tails, checker patterns, nose art, natural metal finish and such.

Edited by Vifam7

I have to agree that the v2 25 is remarkable, but for some reason I cant seem to find a place in me for them. For some reason it felt as though the 25/27/29/30 etc designs are made to be too advanced that they look overly cartoon-ish (apologies to all fans). That and the shiny ABS finish that makes them look toy-ish as opposed to the matte ABS finish on Yamato/Arcadia that makes them look like models. Well, what the hell am I saying, theyre all toys. Maybe Im just old school. haha..

Hehe! I think there is some old school in all of us somewhere but yeah I do know what you are saying about the shiny finish. It does take away a little from the look. Yamato / Arcadia seem to have got the surface finish done better for most of their stuff but the VF-19F,S,P & Kai are all a bit too shiny also.

Have to agree! Hence Max & Milia's blue & red finish..

A mate of mine commented on the fact that most if not all the Valkyrie looked unrealistic due to the fact they don't look stealthy like the more modern fighters of today for example the F22, F35, SU-50 etc.. Obviously in the future (as per the Macross universe is concerned) detection and tracking has become so advanced that it made stealth designs obsolete as there was pretty much no way to hide.

Hehe! I think there is some old school in all of us somewhere but yeah I do know what you are saying about the shiny finish. It does take away a little from the look. Yamato / Arcadia seem to have got the surface finish done better for most of their stuff but the VF-19F,S,P & Kai are all a bit too shiny also.

Have to agree! Hence Max & Milia's blue & red finish..

A mate of mine commented on the fact that most if not all the Valkyrie looked unrealistic due to the fact they don't look stealthy like the more modern fighters of today for example the F22, F35, SU-50 etc.. Obviously in the future (as per the Macross universe is concerned) detection and tracking has become so advanced that it made stealth designs obsolete as there was pretty much no way to hide.

Indeed they all use active stealth anyway, whatever that really is.

The canon fodder 171. I love the design but goddamn it is a total piece of crap. The triangles started to disintegrate so now I just leave it in fighter mode and don't dare touch it. The fact that it comes from such a well established and wealthy toy maker like bandai, and that bandai have done nothing to help people who bought this trainwreck pisses me off to no end.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed! Is there any way to or has anyone successfully tightened the waist joint on a Tomahawk!? Mine is in need of some tlc..

I also have this problem, though my two least favorite toys are still my v1's (yamato, and vf-25f).

I also have this problem, though my two least favorite toys are still my v1's (yamato, and vf-25f).

well if i can include some things that once were part of my collection which I dislike now then it would have been my v1 VF-1 collection! :p

You can try applying some of this old standby...

Ah yes! but I don't think I have ever seen this stuff for sale in Australia.. might have to look it up or try find an alternative.

Edited by spanner76

Pascoes long life, that's the other stuff!

Yes, I have. But I used it on bandai VF-25 model kits. The one go had the best results in terms or coloring a canopy. But as for fixing up loose joints, it's probably all the same.

well if i can include some things that once were part of my collection which I dislike now then it would have been my v1 VF-1 collection! :p

Thing is I still have both of my v1's.

By the way, clear nail polish also works, I've used it on warhammer 40k models to keep joints tight.

• 2 years later...
On 11/03/2015 at 2:48 AM, garyboy_palaboy said:

Least favorite, i will personally classify it as the worst.

Whoever made this cast is drunk or haven't watched the mac series. Her dress is even worst!

20150308_234046_735_zpssflskvqc.jpg

But no matter how well anyone made it, it would still be Min-Mei:(