Really looking forward to the Daredevil TV series. I'm a HUGE Daredevil fan -- I have a near-complete run of 1980s Daredevil (#165-310), and a complete run of vol. 2, 3, and 4 -- including last week's issue. I thought Ben Affleck's Daredevil movie wasn't nearly as bad as its reputation may indicate, but I'm really interested in seeing DD done justice (no pun intended) on screen. I think he's one of Marvel's most underrated characters.

Really looking forward to the Daredevil TV series. I'm a HUGE Daredevil fan -- I have a near-complete run of 1980s Daredevil (#165-310), and a complete run of vol. 2, 3, and 4 -- including last week's issue. I thought Ben Affleck's Daredevil movie wasn't nearly as bad as its reputation may indicate, but I'm really interested in seeing DD done justice (no pun intended) on screen. I think he's one of Marvel's most underrated characters.

They're pulling from Daredevil: The Man Without Fear and don't expect to see the red suit until the season finale. It is also suppose to tie-in to the Defenders series that's currently in development.

Yes I am a big DD fan too. The original Frank Miller run and his subsequent stories of the character are great. I love that they are going Man Without Fear for this season.

I've been exposed to many of these new super hero shows like The Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield, Gotham and IMO they've all been forgettable mediocrity. Watching that Daredevil trailer, it looks like Netflix may have created the first super hero TV series for viewers like me. The trailer had a unique style, a very clever "sonic tone" and is shot like no other super hero TV series I've ever seen. D'onofrio being cast as Kingpin is an unexpected but surprisingly smart move. I like the ideas and the direction they're going with this new shot. It's definitely on my radar.

• 4 weeks later...

But we've always known that some of these characters would work better as TV serials anyway? We've discussed at length how Spider-Man would be the ultimate TV serial if it weren't for the fact his powers make him impossible to do on a small-screen budget, Daredevil is more lucky in that regard.

But we've always known that some of these characters would work better as TV serials anyway? We've discussed at length how Spider-Man would be the ultimate TV serial if it weren't for the fact his powers make him impossible to do on a small-screen budget, Daredevil is more lucky in that regard.

But after decades of having shows based on comic books, tv has always avoided the true nature of their source material. i'ts always been the light version or the not just there storyline, like smallville where they threw everything from the superman books but superman himself. Perry White, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comes to Smallville?

It's not onky until recently with the success of the movie versions that tv has been more open to the tone, storylines and the cross universe nature of the characters.

1 more sleep!!! Woohoo! BINGE WATCH DAY TOMORROW!!!

The leak forced their hand.

(Spoiler'd for size)

TqRa5Bo.png

I don't like head piece. I liked how Afleck's masked looked in the movie over this head piece. Since the rest of the suit won't appear till the end, I can't comment, but it feels a bit too armory. Maybe my opinion will change. But the head piece....I don't like it.

I was planning on watching this in the wee hours of morning today but forgot to set my alarm. Had to peek the first portion of the first episode when I woke up before work. And all I can say is WOW! :blink:

Hope I can finish watching the first episode tonight after work and my son duty and finish the whole season one over the weekend. ;)

In case you haven't gotten that far yet

giphy.gif

Yeah, the rest of the suit is OK, probably doesn't help with the dark atmosphere. But the head piece....It reminds me of Cap's 1st Avengers movie suit. Out of all the Cap. America suits in the MCU, I hated the 1st Avengers movie suit the most. And this DD suit reminds me of it. But that distinct eyebrow and face line just looks awful. I would have preferred a single piece without any big fat line separating the eyebrow from the rest of the head piece.

Holy crap! This series is incredible! The fight in episode 2 is epic! Awesome camera point of view/movement. Love how it shows what a physical toll a fight is.

Loving this show so far!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The leak forced their hand.

(Spoiler'd for size)

TqRa5Bo.png

I don't like head piece. I liked how Afleck's masked looked in the movie over this head piece. Since the rest of the suit won't appear till the end, I can't comment, but it feels a bit too armory. Maybe my opinion will change. But the head piece....I don't like it.

I agree... The only thing bad about Affleck's costume was the stupid S&M zippers and straps, otherwise it looked good.

Man... Matt is so beat up in every episode... I don't even think John Wick looked as bad as him and he was hit by an SUV.

The hallway scene was good but the coreography was a bit sloppy... it does get better with every epidoe though. Couple more episodes to go.

Just went through the first 3 episodes of Daredevil. Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Finally, a super hero TV series worth watching.

From the very beginning of episode one they let you know this show isn't going to hold back. It's very stripped down, with little fanfare or fanservice, which only serves to really enhance the more subtle style. The acting is excellent and the cast is filled with plenty of fun character actors. The action is beyond impressive, with the fight sequences having elements of both heightened super-human combat yet an abrassive, in-the-trenches style. The show doesn't hold your hand, forcing the audience to intuit many of the unspoken visual cues. And speaking of the visuals, the show looks great and brilliantly merges elements of the police procedural, court room drama and super hero story often through creative shots of Murdock's powers in action.

And that credit opening...sublime.

I'll be going through all of this season. This may not be my favorite show, but It's definitely now on my must watch list. Highly recommended.

So, rambling thoughts after my initial viewing of episode 1:

Style. There are no bright colours in this universe, it's all dark and gloomy and lots of rain. Appropriate for the style of show they seem to be aiming for.

Too much shaky-cam. Seriously, stop hiring drunk and/or stoned camera operators. Please, for the love of whatever is holy, just stop.

I have no idea whom these actors are, but they're pretty good. I'm willing to give it more viewings, but I thought Affleck's performance was pretty decent and that's my benchmark. Foggy just can't hold a candle to Jon Faverau's version.

The fight choreography looked neat, but was difficult to follow at times. Not much different from a Michael Bay film, with whipping cameras and quick cuts to add tension. The impacts seemed pretty brutal, and the rain fight in the first episode was nice. It was nice seeing a hero as tired and winded during the fight, and not some invicible rock of muscle with a health bar slowly dropping.

The one thing I'd like to see more of is consequences to said fights. Matt woke up with a bruise along his chest and so far that's it. 2003's Daredevil had massive scars along his back, he lost a tooth after a fight, big cuts and pretty brutal injuries. The shower scene in '03 just drove home how much it must *suck* to be a vigilante hero without any sort of healing factor or plot armour to heal all wounds by the next scene.

As a fan of the '03 film (you may tar and feather at your leisure :p) this one has some pretty big glasses to fill. I love the style and dripping atmosphere, but so far I'm not ready to hoist this version as the better one. But there's still 12 hours of film to go, so I'm off to episode 2 (Attack of the Clones? Wrong franchise???)

I've read in some interviews with Charlie Cox that they purposely made a lot of the fights this season look sorta sloppy. The idea is that Matt is just starting out, and while he's obviously had training, he's not that great of a fighter yet... but he's getting there. The in-story reason for the new costume is that after going out and repeatedly getting beaten up, he figures out that he's going to need more protection. Also, in the episodes I've watched so far, he doesn't have his billy club yet. I'm sure the addition of a weapon will even up the odds in his favor a little more. Personally, I think the fight choreography works for the tone of this show. They're obviously going for something realistic, and more rough around the edges. This Daredevil is not a polished, acrobatic martial artist.

Love the show. Started watching friday night and hopefully to finish the whole season over the weekend. But had some house chores to do as well. :lol: Anyways, hope to finish the rest of the 5 episodes for the next night or so. I just hope that Elektra would show up for the last 5 episodes even for a cameo or something. :rolleyes: Here's to hoping.

Now 8 episodes in and damn, it just keeps getting better. LOVED the episode where Daredevil was completely outmaneuvered by Fisk. Not only did it show how much Matt still has to learn, but it REALLY showcased how truly formidable Fisk is. Can't wait to watch more tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Daredevil renewed for season 2, changing showrunners

But there’s a twist: EW can exclusively report that showrunner Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus) is stepping down from the series. Instead, writers Doug Petrie (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Marco Ramirez (Sons of Anarchy)—who worked closely with DeKnight and creator Drew Goddard in the first season—will both serve as the showrunners for season two.

DeKnight notes that he made commitments prior to the announcement which will prevent his involvement in Season 2. 'Don't know if that will be a good or bad thing if the guy who ran S1 can't come back for another season.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Season 1 last night.

GREAT GOOGLY, MOOGLY! THAT WAS GOOD!! :blink:

Yes, the show has some utterly brutal moments.

But there are appropriate moments of humor here and there.

They really nailed all the supporting characters too. Not just in terms of their looks, but in their characterizations as well.

D'onofrio absolutely killed it as Fisk.

There's some obvious deviations from comic book canon, but they make sufficient sense in terms of the story. Can't always fall back to those standard superhero tropes, especially if you make your main villian out to be so formidable, so cautious, and in control of so much influence.

The comments about the changes impacting media's influence (especially print media) also worked for me.

And after thinking about it today, why did Fisk's last story in the FBI truck kinda remind me of this (but with the opposite end result):

I could just picture Fisk roaring: "I AM THE TYRANNY OF EVIL MEN!!!!!!!!" :rolleyes::D

All in all, a really great series and addition to the MCU.

Not sure about this... maybe the right look but I can't see him as The Punisher demeanor-wise. But they did pretty well on Daredevil... will be tuning in for sure.

Jon Bernthal Cast As The Punisher In ‘Marvel’s Daredevil’ On Netflix
http://deadline.com/2015/06/jon-bernthal-cast-the-punisher-marvel-daredevil-netflix-1201440225/

bernthal-4.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1