Mature Power Rangers fan film

Dobber

Kinda wish I had known it was NSFW prior to watching it... at work.

and FYI, it's NSFW. Nudity.

And Dobber didn't mention it stars Katee Sackoff and James Van Der Beek (who also wrote it.)

Also, this is supposedly the unnamed short film that got Katee Sackoff short-listed to play Captain Marvel... and in my opinion a very fantastic reason why I DO NOT WANT HER to play Captain Marvel.

Edited by Mommar

I'm sure Katee's a nice girl, but her presence on screen always grates my nerves somehow.

NSFW Power Rangers? God bless the internet..

I'm sure Katee's a nice girl, but her presence on screen always grates my nerves somehow.

NSFW Power Rangers? God bless the internet..

Seeing how Longmire isn't filming she's been doing lots of odds and ends stuff. Met her a month ago, she is actually very sweet. Great to crack jokes with.

As for this....I dunno wtf I just watched but I didn't like it at all 0_o and I'm not saying that as a purist or anything it was just...............not good. Maybe power rangers just in general no longer appeals to me as a whole regardless of who does it. Hmmm, could be. But it could also be that there wasn't much of anything to see out of this that really said power rangers. Out of what? 15 minutes we got 3 minutes of ranger?

I'll chalk it up as a brilliant parody piece highlighting Holywood's typical style of adaptation.

Because it really did feel like something Hollywood would DO, if a major studio ever signed the rights for a big-budget no-holds-barred motion picture.

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/970pxa/-midnight-wednesday--february-25--2015-season-2-ep-02066

I couldn't find just the opening clip, but Chad Hardwick of @midnight ripped Saban a good one on his show, and without trying makes a great example of what HG constantly does. Its pretty damn funny!

Edited by 505thAirborne

When watching this, I thought of an interview I read with Alan Moore, where he talked about taking beloved childhood characters and making them dark 'n' gritty, and saying, "it was an experiment. Not a school of writing."

I wish the people making this film had read the same interview.

Then what's your definition of mature?

Renato makes a good point by noting the irony of this piece: The "grown-up" power rangers are rather juvenile. I think that's the danger when swinging the pendulum of an established good hero or good heroic team to something very dark and gritty. But it seems to be popular these days.

I'm not as familiar with the old series as other members, so I will avoid commenting in detail. I will say that the fan film/parody/however-people-are-apologizing-for-it-today does little to suspend disbelief on one point: Why would so many of the Power Rangers go off the reservation, stop teaming up, and just let themselves be massacred? That was the weakest link for me.

But I have other technical issues too. The dialogue was empty without the swearing and insults, and when you subtract the over-the-top violence and hyper-sexualized bits, there wasn't much action or trademark team smackdown moments. That is what I would expect, even in this dark rebooted world.

Exactly. Just because something has sex and violence does not make it mature; in fact, if that's all it is, it becomes more childish. You can imagine kids watching this thinking "Coool!! He just stabbed that guy in the face!!" Which is not to say that this is made for kids, but more of an immature lust for things which are "cool" and "awesome". I sort of shudder when adults react like that, but yeah, we all have our "inner child" that we have to satisfy from time to time, that's sort of why we love robots and stuff. That's OK, just don't call it mature.

Are the Michael Bay Transformer movies more mature than the original cartoon because they swear and zoom the camera into girls' asses and the bots rip each other's faces off? Nope. In fact, they're even more childish, in my opinion. I would call Transformers Prime far more "mature" because the story, dialogue and characterization does not patronize the viewers, and does not need to rely on more sex and violence to seem more "grown-up" than the original. Where's the Power Rangers version of that? That's maturity to me.

Um... What was "mature" about that? We seriously need to find a new word for this kind of stuff.

I think the word you are looking for is crass.

We need a word for senseless gore for the sake of shock. Which I guess would be contrary because the sense would be to shock. But the term is already used by the American rating system because that what it calls the audience that can handle these type of movies. In other words, if you're a highly influenced, immature jerk that would try this kind of stuff in real life, then you should in no way watch this movie.

I think the word you are looking for is crass.

"This film is rated C-17"... I like it.

Exactly. Just because something has sex and violence does not make it mature; in fact, if that's all it is, it becomes more childish. You can imagine kids watching this thinking "Coool!! He just stabbed that guy in the face!!" Which is not to say that this is made for kids, but more of an immature lust for things which are "cool" and "awesome". I sort of shudder when adults react like that, but yeah, we all have our "inner child" that we have to satisfy from time to time, that's sort of why we love robots and stuff. That's OK, just don't call it mature.

Are the Michael Bay Transformer movies more mature than the original cartoon because they swear and zoom the camera into girls' asses and the bots rip each other's faces off? Nope. In fact, they're even more childish, in my opinion. I would call Transformers Prime far more "mature" because the story, dialogue and characterization does not patronize the viewers, and does not need to rely on more sex and violence to seem more "grown-up" than the original. Where's the Power Rangers version of that? That's maturity to me.

+1

The acting and production values were very good. I'm surprised this short film worked as well as it did, especially considering the ridiculous source material. But overall, this is just dumb and tone deaf. It was anything BUT mature. Graphic violence and titties doesn't make a film mature; if anything this only draws attention to the short's childish catering to the raging heterosexual frat boy demographic. The Incredibles is more mature and politically/socially sophisticated than this.

Joseph Kahn is a fun personality and kinetic filmmaker, but he's not the right guy for this kind of property.

I'm not a Power Rangers fan and couldn't give a crap about Super Sentai. But this short vividly displays why schlock like Bayformers and his TMNT remake fail: they are too self-serious and suck the joy out of the original property. Something like Power Rangers needs to be Guardians of the Galaxy in style and tone. This short film looks like it's trying to be Halo mixed with Spartacus: Blood and Sand. The film also suffers too much from an American-centric perspective: the film characters are all about individualism, whereas Super Sentai is specifically interested in team dynamics, in as much as there is any depth of that sort.

This is a no go, for me. It's a solid short that is well shot, tightly edited and and well acted, but the themes are all wrong, the tone isn't right for the IP and it's too much like so many other movies we're not for want.

From dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mature

Mature: "intended for or restricted to adults, especially by reason of explicit sexual content or the inclusion of violence or obscene language:

mature movies."

If you guys don't like the short that's fine...honestly I could take it or leave it...but now some of you are reaching new highs on what to bitch about....complaining about how I titled the thread. Lol.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

From dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mature

Mature: "intended for or restricted to adults, especially by reason of explicit sexual content or the inclusion of violence or obscene language:

mature movies."

If you guys don't like the short that's fine...honestly I could take it or leave it...but now some of you are reaching new highs on what to bitch about....complaining about how I titled the thread. Lol.

Chris

The short was fine... the title of the thread however... :p