Untitled Neil Blomkamp directed Alien project

Kanedas Bike

Well, here comes another Alien film. I'm part stoked because honestly Prometheus was a total let down but also a bit nervous.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/new-alien-movie-confirmed-at-fox-with-director-neill-blomkamp-1201436551/

Both points argued pretty well in this article;

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/neill-blomkamp-alien/

So ready or not - Xenomorphs!

-b.

I love me some xenomorphs, action or horror... but I feel like they keep trying to shoehorn Ripley into it and her chapter's been closed twice already. The studios don't really want a new movie, just a newer version of the old movie... different but exactly the same. Alien was such a fresh look at the a new genre, it's like they missed the point. It's a miracle that Cameron pulled off a sequel but it's time to break the mold and continue with a story that pushes forward. So I'm not so sure about this movie... I remember being excited when Jean-Pierre Jeunet was announced as the director after Fincher.

I agree. They need to stop putting Ripley in there. She can't be everywhere where there's a Xenomorph. New characters would be great. I feel the same way about Ahnold in the Terminator movies. I don't need to keep seeing the flabby Guvna in all of em. I'm a big boy who can handle a person who doesn't look like him as a T-800.

Edited by xrentonx

It's early still and who knows what the story will look like.

Honestly I hope that the movie is NOT Ripley centric. If they must have old Weaver in there as a cameo but the movie cannot, or should not revolve around her.

Alien 3 and Resurrection* did so much damage to the story and characters it might just be best to ignore those films/stories all together.

*and I liked parts of Alien Resurrection, and while I like Fincher as a Director, Alien 3 can kiss my @ss

-b.

*Edit here is some pretty cool concept art; http://io9.com/neill-blomkamps-secret-alien-movie-looks-so-good-were-f-1677082116

**Edit re: Resurrection, I've made it clear in other topics that I like Whedon - and Resurrection was classic him. A strong or super-powered lead or central character (Buffy, Angel, River, Skye) surrounded by a motley group that helps that character achieve whatever the goal is

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Did any of you guys see Fallon's interview with Weaver on the Tonight Show? It was a fun bit. During the conversation, this topic came up. And Weaver's coy response has me thinking that negotiations are in progress, which is interesting because I thought she was done with the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFJGg_GKts

I'm nervous too, but damn excited if what Blomkamp has in mind becomes the real deal.

Edited by technoblue

Weaver NOT doing an alien film is like Arnold not doing a Terminator film............it just wouldn't be right when you've already been in all of them in some fashion.

I think visually, Blomkamp can wow us with effects and environments and all that fun amazing stuff. Hell, iMax? Ooooooooo.

Storywise....it's just not scary anymore. It's gotta be something different, really really different. And how can you top and max different after 4 films? ......techincally 6?

We had the intro into our nightmares with Alien.........we had the edge of your seat wanting to cry cause there's a hive in Aliens......we had a twisted animalistic style in Alien 3......we had whatever the hell Resurrection tried annnnnddddddd we had 2 AVP films we wanna forget.

I want to see what Neil can cook up I REALLY do wanna hope for the best cause I think he could do something amazing. He wowed me on district 9, but he dulled me in Elysium. I'm looking forward to Chappie, but my expectations are low.

Also, he has to sign Michael Biehn. He was pissed he got axed in Alien 3 without a single thought. They obviously can't bring Newt back, but dear god bring back Michael he deserves it.

they want to make ripley an alien in disguise.

David! B))

Really hope not, they already crossed that bridge in Resurrection with hybrid-Ripley.

And to even have Hicks back with Ripley they would be to ret-con everything after Aliens. Not necessarily a bad thing but the waters are already muddied enough with the franchise. Just picture it, Alien 3 and Resurrection were nothing but cryo-dreams.

-b.

here's some concept pictures i was looking at earlier in the day:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/neill-blomkamp-reveals-concept-art-761079

Yep, with the exception/addition of the stand-alone Hicks and Face-Huggers those are the same concept pics as the link I posted earlier. The Ripley one is supposed to be a Space Jockey pilot helmet of some sort.

-b.

And to even have Hicks back with Ripley they would be to ret-con everything after Aliens. Not necessarily a bad thing but the waters are already muddied enough with the franchise. Just picture it, Alien 3 and Resurrection were nothing but cryo-dreams.

-b.

You know, a lot of people would be very happy if 3 and 4 were written off as just a bad dream.

You know, a lot of people would be very happy if 3 and 4 were written off as just a bad dream.

I've been saying that for years. The best way to approach this would be introducing scenes from 3 and 4 as a drug induced haze of Ripley's while she's being held on a corporate sanitarium before being rescued.

Sulaco fire? Corporate mercs attempting to sieze the ship.

Face hugger breaking into the cryopod? A merc smashing the pod to kidnap her.

Shaved head etc? Introduction to the sanitarium.

Three's ending? Attempted desperation suicide.

Becoming a hybrid? Full mental breakdown leading to a fantasy world.

The newborn? This is dark, but an aborted baby from a prison guard raping her.

The mercs? A marine rescue team.

The alien infested ship hitting earth? Corporate plans of a shipment she overheard while being interrogated.

Resurrection's ending that faded into a blinding bright white light? Her finally waking up from the nightmare.

I would overlay all of that in the opening credits where you would see the flashes scene from a previous movie, but hear someone talking likely a corporate stooge making a log entry like "Attempt to sieze transport Sulaco has failed, only one high profile target has been obtained for processing and interrogation." or "Subject Ellen Ripley attempted suicide today after procedure, medication has been tripled and she is now in a catatonic state. New prison guards have been hired in light of this incident."

The first new scene I would have is Ripley waking in a USCMC medbay with a blond woman and a familiar man now in a Marine General uniform calling her name.

Sorry for the longwinded fanfiction ramble, its not something I usually do, but this is the only way I see bringing Ripley back, fixing the issues of the series in a timely manner, and opening up as many possible story arcs as possible.

At least on the surface, this could be seen as the first good news about the "Alien" franchise in a very, VERY long time. The problem with the sequels after the first was a complete lack of interest on behalf of the writers and filmmakers. Someone like Neil Blomkamp is clearly passionate about the idea of doing an Alien film. Blomkamp was so interested in fact, he appears to have used the internet buzz machine via the blogosphere and social media to pitch his concept for the film rather than knock his head against a studio wall first. Rather clever and seems to have worked brilliantly in his favor. That being said, I do have reservations about Blomkamp doing this project. I believe acknowledging that the Alien films are about Ripley is the best way to go (like the video game "Alien: Isolation" proved through a similar protagonist) but a lot more than that will be needed to make the movie compelling. Yet at the same time I can't deny that it's better to have someone like him attempt something with the franchise rather than produce something awful again like "Prometheus". Mixed emotions, I suppose.

One aspect of the Alien franchise where I clearly have doubt is whether or not the xenomorph has any relevance in modern popular culture. The biomechanical body horror of the alien played upon real fears that many of us suffered at the time, which was fear of space travel, fear of technology and fear of sexuality.

Public interest in space simply isn't there anymore and as such there is little fear for that which does not interest audiences. Fear of technology does still exist, but not in the same way it does as told through the Alien franchise. The internet has made everyone a geek and technology is no longer viewed in the same world-ending fear that it once was in the West. While fear of female sexuality and homosexuality is sadly very much alive and well, our culture has clearly shifted attitudes. While many admit they do not understand homosexuality, most have chosen not to fear it and simply live and let live. That lack of fear in our culture removes the power of the xenomorph, that horrifying idea of male-on-male rape that was so integral to the creature design of the xenomorph life cycle.

Ridley Scott eloquently stated the fear that Giger's Alien design evoked was a once-in-a-generation discovery. I believe it's still possible to make an engaging and entertaining Alien sequel. But I'd have to agree with Scott that the visceral horror of the xenomorph is not likely something the audience can ever experience again.

Edited by Mr March

The alien isn't the horror here; it's the corporation. This is Neil Blomkamp we're talking about.

So we're getting an Alien movie about the indecent conditions of the slums of LV426?

It's obvious he'll be using Weaver. She's in a the concept art and in Chappie.

The alien isn't the horror here; it's the corporation. This is Neil Blomkamp we're talking about.

Lets not act like Weyland/Weyland-Yutani wasn't an antagonist going back to Alien. The ship did set down on "company orders" after all, and that's not revisionist history either. It was the major plot point leading to Ripley vs. Ash and the revelation of why the ship landed to begin with (beyond picking up some random distress beacon in the vastness of space).

Alien has a bad case of the Robotechs, it's a big universe but the only stuff that matters happens to, or because of, one tiny group.

My point about them needing to move away from Ripley. Granted this was something Scott tried (and failed) to do with Prometheus. Not because the movie needed Ripley, it just needed compelling and intelligent characters.

So we're getting an Alien movie about the indecent conditions of the slums of LV426?

It's obvious he'll be using Weaver. She's in a the concept art and in Chappie.

They may or may not, but if Weaver and Blomkamp have ties (wasn't aware she's in Chappie) then it does make her involvement more likely. I just hope that it's not the lead role. Ripley running from an Alien using a walking cane, or beating one to death with one doesn't interest me in the least.

-b.

Did you not look at the concept art, Kaneda? It's quite clear she's the main character.

Si, I did. But it's just concept art. It doesn't hint at anything other than an idea for a character or setting. Besides why would I read all of that into that one pic and ignore the one with Hicks, the giant complex, the angry Queen in the jungle, etc?

It's like putting together the plot based on a few illustrated proof-of-concept drawings.

-b.

I was also thinking Ripkey, Hicks, and some new form of xenonorph versus the company.

Two old folks and Alien(s) versus Corporate South Africa? Do not want.

I'm hedging my bets against - simply because I want a good Alien movie. Hell, it's only been 20 years since the last one.

-b.

Since Ripley might be involved according to those concepts...I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt because of Blomkamp. Even though Elysium was easily the weakest of his movies so far, there's always something I love about his movies. B))

Isn't the story that the original Alien was pitched to the studios as "Jaws in space." That's what I hope future Alien films are... Jaws in space. Let them explore the more cerebral points in follow up Prometheus films with origins and the company dynamics there. Make alien "You're alone in a very big sea on a very small life raft and something very big keeps bumping your boat."

Edited by jenius

For now I'll just be excited to see the design aesthetic Blomkamp brings to the film. And as previously mentioned it's really good that he has a passion for the material.

-b.

*or I'll just go watch Aliens for the upteen-billionth time

Isn't the story that the original Alien was pitched to the studios as "Jaws in space." That's what I hope future Alien films are... Jaws in space. Let them explore the more cerebral points in follow up Prometheus films with origins and the company dynamics there. Make alien "You're alone in a very big sea on a very small life raft and something very big keeps bumping your boat."

You know every Jaws movie aside from the first sucked right?

to me what it seems to suggest is somewhere there's an underground facility that hicks and Ripley are stuck in, almost kinda bio dome like and the company is trying to reverse engineer and possibly tame zenomorphs.

that's how the concepts look to me.