David Hingtgen

Bandai Gobots/Machine Robo Series Toy Thread

Nice update to their small version, which is itself a nice figure except for the head mold, which hinders head movement. The DX fixes that, and the inclusion of Cy-Kill faces is nice for the Western folks who knew these guys as Gobots. I hope they do Blackbird with improved aircraft proportions over their small version, and with a full set of retractable landing gear. 

The Review for Action Toys' MRDX-01 Bike Robo is up! http://kumastyledesigns.com/dx-bike-robo-review/

title-dx-bike-robo-FB.png

The review is in-depth but overall I dig it. It's nice to see the Machine Robo line get the "Masterpiece" type of treatment for characters that aren't Baikanfu. http://kumastyledesigns.com/dx-bike-robo-review/

9-148.png

3-177.png

6-162.png

11-129.png

13-120.png

Was that a review sample, @Kuma Style? By now I've seen a lot of reviews for this guy, but I think they've all been review samples. But it looks done, with the packaging and everything ready to go... I'm wondering how much longer until he drops at retail.

It's been out for a bit now at Robot Toy Base. Mine was sent to me from the company for review, but it's a production run sample just like the ones that were sent to retailers. 

Are the handblaster effects a Machine Robo thing or is that another favor for Go-Bot fans?

12 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

It's been out for a bit now at Robot Toy Base. Mine was sent to me from the company for review, but it's a production run sample just like the ones that were sent to retailers. 

Still not in stock at any US retailers, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Are the handblaster effects a Machine Robo thing or is that another favor for Go-Bot fans?

I think Gobots. I only managed to get through one episode of Revenge of Cronos and I didn't see any familiar characters, but the ones who were in it had weapons.

14 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Still not in stock at any US retailers, I'm afraid.

Was just answering your question in general which is yes, it is available at retailers although it's unfortunate that it's not available at the retailers of your choosing.

17 hours ago, JB0 said:

I have 0 familiarity with Gobots but since I don't remember it at all from Machine Robo I'd go with Gobots if either. You've just given me an excuse to rewatch Revenge of Chronos, though. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Tough Trailer looks damned good. Hoping the build quality is up-to-snuff. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Asking across boards; for those of you who've invested into the smaller-scaled line, how are they quality wise? I opened Battle and Shuttle and both are a floppy mess. Trying to get a general consensus  before investing into more of them.

Well, MMV- I have Bike, Eagle, Battle, Blackbird, and Concrete, and none of them are floppy per se (by that I mean if you pick them up by a limb, the other limbs literally flop about, there's so little friction). Mine can all hold a pose over months of time without drooping, although I pose mine fairly conservatively. Blackbird is my favorite and gets the most handling, and his joints are holding up well. I will say, however, that Concrete is the least solid in bot mode due to how he transforms- some care is required, and occasional readjustment. He's my least favorite of the bunch, anyway (I got him b/c I thought his transformation was neat), so I don't handle him all that often. But, I haven't really had any issues getting him to hold a pose, so his joints are up to task.    ---just to test the theory, I just held each of mine by one arm and rotated it all around; every one of them maintained its pose no matter its orientation.

Anyway Kuma, I'm sorry to hear that your figures are floppy; it's especially disconcerting, as I just had Shuttle and Missile Tank shipped, and will likely have them at the end of the week. I've been looking forward to both, especially Shuttle, and hope he and Missile Tank aren't floppy, too.  If so, it'll be my first bad experience with them. 

As for the blast elements included with DX Bike Robo, I do believe that those are specific to Cy-Kill. Cool gesture to include those and the Cy-Kill faces.

It's ok; TBH I'm more in it for the DX stuff than anything as it is. I'm just glad to hear that overall the line is fairly solid because it makes it worth checking more of them out. 

Ok, so by way of follow-up, I got Shuttle nd Missile-Tank yesterday. The latter is about as nigh perfect as you can get with a small transforming toy. His double missile rack, made by his arm transformation, can rotate a full 360 and raise an d lower for omnidirectional targeting. brilliant little bit of additional engineering that didn't have to be there, but I'm oh so glad they did. Like Battle, MT does not have any wheels on his faux treads, so imagination and a frictionless surface are required for optimal experience.^_^ Bot mode is nice and tight across all joints, and he has the standard articulation. The only difficulty I have with him is in separating the leg halves in bot mode- they're very solidly held in place and it takes a bit of effort to untab them (three tabs). The tail stabilizer just fell off one of the silver missiles while I was transforming him, so something else to be aware of. They're only held on by fiction- no tab, no glue. The missiles need to be removed for transformation to allow the hands to rotate into the forearms (they even attached a small hinged flap to cover the hollow arm in bot mode), and the missiles have attachment slots at center and about a cm aft of center, depending on mode. Overall, fantastic update, great toy overall- one of the best figures in the line, IMHO.

Shuttle Robo- So this is the figure I was really anticipating, although I knew from pics and reviews, that he had a lot of panel-forming going on, and he does. Due to that, he doesn't 'feel' as solid in shuttle mode, although he doesn't fall apart either. He holds together well, but there's just that element of flex and give to him due to all the panels that kinda feels flimsy. Speaking of panels, one of the hinged double panels on my copy's hip wouldn't clear to fold on itself the full 180 degrees; a little sanding remedied the issue, but I stressed the panel a little in my initial efforts to fold it- just a caveat. As for joints, everything below the waist on mine is tight- the heels, which form his two exhaust bells, are so tight they squeak when rotating them for transformation-a real PITA due to the confines. However, they're on ball joints and will likely loosen over time. The left knee on mine is looser than the right, and tends to give way under the weight of the die cast which form the OMS pods; the right knee on mine is perfectly tight. The waist is on a ball joint, and mine's got good friction and holds the upper body without flop. The shoulders are the floppy joints on mine, but only seemingly when butterflying his arms. The rotation up and down is tight, or tight enough at least to hold his gun up at any level without drooping. However, I've had both arms pop off their ball joints while trying to untab them and slide them over the flight deck section, so that may have contributed to weakening them-tight tolerance clearing that flight deck. My final impression is that's he's fiddly and, due to his wings and the folding panels on his hips and knees, quite kibble-y. The ball jointed waist may prove to be a weak point in the future-probably not the best choice. Mine's still tight, so we'll see. The shoulders are the weak points on my copy, but fortunately if they become too floppy, I can add a drop of superglue. I'm a little bummed that they didn't put landing gear on this guy- there's room, and it would have made for nice ground presentation. I forgot to mention that his rifle separates into three parts, all of which stow within his shuttle mode unobtrusively, although the barrel can be seen when looking at the business end of his shuttle mode. Speaking of which, for the OCD among us, you'll probably not dig the fact that Shuttle only has two main engines instead of three, and their orientation is very high up behind the OMS pods where the RCS engines should be. Just a little FYI. Despite the flaws, I still like him, but not as much as Missile Tank, who is a clear winner for engineering, and just an overall solid toy.  Looking forward to more of these figs.