Bandai Gobots/Machine Robo Series Toy Thread

Am I the only one who's really disappointed that they're basing Spay-C on the crappy standard gobot mold and not the super gobot mold which was infinitely better in every way?

Ahhhh...that's why this Spay-C looks so 'wrong' to me. I've had the Super Gobot toy for so long that I forgot there was a basic one with a different transformation.

these are by art storm or someone else who gets licenses? the cykill doesn't look as good as the third party (unique toys salamoore) one even if it is truer to the source material in both bot and alt modes.

no complaints about how leader 1's alt mode isn't a real f-15 but is 80% of the way there? i like the bot mode ...very mechy.

turbo's alt mode is pure fantasy so i suppose its ok

fitor (i think thats his name) looks awesome...way better than that one that came out a few years ago.

Yeah Cykill kinda kills it for me. Really looks cheap, unlike Salamoore

Like the Space Shuttle Combinor. But I am done with Artstorm. Just cant get it right with the chogokin. CMs should have done this

It's only in robot mode. I dug for some stuff about this because I heard Blackbird and didn't see it.

The one with cones sticking out of it's shoulders and no vehicle mode sitting next to it. So yes, we got plastic jet blueballed here.

Apparently, in Machine Robo, it's named Blackbird. Because they were hella creative naming the line.

In GoBots, it was named Snoop.

Gobots Thread Go!

Yay!

Apparently, in Machine Robo, it's named Blackbird. Because they were hella creative naming the line.

In GoBots, it was named Snoop.

Possibly. I think Go-Bot naming schemes are more creative by a mere half-factor. The names had no affect on how much I enjoyed these things as a kid, though. I do think it's ironic how an affordable line could turn out to be expensive with this release.

Loops dope :D

Why thank you, kind sir :p

Yeah Cykill kinda kills it for me. Really looks cheap, unlike Salamoore

Like the Space Shuttle Combinor. But I am done with Artstorm. Just cant get it right with the chogokin. CMs should have done this

But CM's doors were shut last year..

Me personally when I was growing up hated the go bots (I never had exposure to Machine Robo). They always seemed like a low budget transformers knock off. I will say though that some these look a lot better than the toys I remember while I was growing up in the 80's. I just hope they have more complex transformations. The go bots I remember were like 3 moves if even and it was in alt mode.

Edited by Loop

Me personally when I was growing up hated the go bots (I never had exposure to Machine Robo). They always seemed like a low budget transformers knock off.

I loved them because they were mighty robots that turned into mighty vehicles.

More importantly, the toys were cheap. I had a LOT more Gobots than Transformers because of that.

Ironically, having looked up pictures, I think the original Blackbird toy had a better vehicle mode than this new one. At least from the top.

^^Based on how the back transformation seems to be for vehicle mode, it doesn't make sense why they didn't try to make the top of the SR-71 smoother.

Yeah, I get that there's some hinges there. But if they wanted to add some details to the top of the plane mode, why not mimc the real SR-71 and add some straight-lined grooves between the twin engines?

You know, thinking about it... the original GoBot Blackbird was basically the same situation as the Transformers leader-class Blackbird. An entire robot hanging under a plane. This is more forgivable in a toy that cost four bucks and is roughly the size of a Hot Wheels.

Naw it's cool, that just means Blackbird is more accurate to his on screen appearance.

post-1819-0-19530000-1423758014_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-03771700-1423758157_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-75077700-1423758035_thumb.jpg

I wonder if they would do Falcon Robo (Heatseeker) with his stylized cockpit head from the anime. A lot of these prototypes seem to draw from the toys more than just the show.

Edited by VF5SS

It'd be neat if they'd base the gun designs off of what was used in the anime but it doesn't look like they're going that deep. There's a whole string of episodes where the MR guys hold up in a fortress so it was like a bunch of gobots reenacting an 80's action flick.

post-1819-0-41449800-1423763738_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-08794600-1423763754_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-38364600-1423763765_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not sure I want these ultra-Gobots. I mean....my childhood remembers these toys as being cheap, blocky, easy transforming toys with a silly cartoon show to match, and to stylize them into "masterpieces" ruins it for me. Give me the $5 Gobot any day...

Edited by myk

I had the fancy Spay-C, and a couple of the fancy cars. I was kinda stunned when I realized there was a different Spay-C, he was completely lame, and somehow my AWESOME one was the noncanon one.

I ALSO had an oatmeal tin full of the smaller ones, but I don't have near as many fond memories of THOSE.

Bug Bite, Baron Von Joy, the space car... THOSE define Go-Bots for me. Oh, and the drilltank. Drilltanks are always awesome, even when they're only two inches long.

I was never too crazy about the deluxe Gobots, as most just used the cabin as a head. Deluxe Spay-c is different in that respect, and yeah, looks better than the small version. Even though the new design borrows from the smaller version, I still like it. I also like the SR-71, even iif the main fuselage is full of hinges; it's better than the bot under a plane design that Takara, and Hasbro by default, generally go with. Anyway, I like most of these, and hope they are still planned for production. That Leader-1 alone would be worth their while to produce...pretty sweet.

• 5 months later...

Leader-1 and Cy-kill (or whatever their Robo names are).

Bike Robo and Eagle Robo. Because in the proud tradition of lazy cartoon robot names, Machine Robo is the absolute bottom of the barrel. Makes Hook and Cy-Kill look like the works of a true genius.