Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

My part arrived, so I was finally able to use it in the repair.

My VF-0A has been in jet mode since the incident. My first step was to get it out of jet mode so I could disassemble the leg again. I reported previously that the leg had been holding on after my first repair without the part. That was definitely no longer the case, as the leg fell off as soon as I separated it from the transformation pegs holding it on in jet mode. I got the leg disassembled the second time with no difficulty.

The new part is just a little half sphere which fits on the square metal peg at the end of the leg bar. There didn't seem to be any glue involved in the process according to the video, so I didn't bother gluing the piece onto the peg. This caused some minor frustration as it kept on falling off as I was trying to get everything placed in the proper assemblies, but eventually I got everything back together.

The video suggests spraying some polish on the joint to tighten it. I didn't do this.

My final result? The leg seems to be staying on. It's still VERY loose, but not as bad as when it was literally hanging on by a prayer. There is a little bit of tension on the joint, just not much. I've performed one transformation with the new joint and have held the figure in battloid mode sideways. Although the leg flopped all around due to it's weight, it did not fall off. The figure also stands a bit easier now without so much of me needing to carefully balance it, although there is still a little bit of that. I haven't tried any semi-fancy poses yet, just a standard valkyrie narrow A stance.

I agree with the video that this isn't something you want to do to your VF-0A unless the leg joint has already failed. This is definitely a patch, not an upgrade. So far, I think it's a good patch because it has rescued my new toy.

I have a question for jenius about is video on the fix of the issue. You didn't use any glue in the process but the leg is still attached to the leg. This leads me to the question why the leg came of in the first place. Was it not seated correctly inside the ball socket or where the two halves of the ball socket not closed all the way. I ask because if the leg stays attached without gluing it to the metal rot of the hip joint something had to be wrongly assembled.

I should take a close look at my VF-0 toys to get a better idea what is causing this issue.

As for fixing the damage yourself, DO NOT use super glue, it'll likely make a mess and it will not work. If the landing gear is made of plastic (ABS), use liquid plastic weld (TENAX, Abroid Pro Weld, etc.).

I found a local restorer who is willing to fix my vf0 but he says he is going to use super glue. He is a professional and i trust him. I'am just concerned with what Mechanic said super glue isn't good. Should i insist and tell him not to use super glue?

Plastic weld is a little harder to get. Is plastic weld much better than super glue? Is it like Tamiya glue?

I wonder if the landing gear is ABS and you're brave enough, you can use a drop of acetone to melt the tips of the broken sections together?

Edit: Nvm, I thought it works instantly but looks like you need to let it sit. People would drop ABS bits mixed with acetone to make a slurry then use that to repair. I've used Plastruct Bondene to join the wing ratchet for my YF-25 back together after I accidentally dropped it and snapped the wing off.

post-7577-0-96608400-1454447993_thumb.jpg

Edited by wmkjr

I got the 0s from amiami yesterday and love it! especially the size in jet mode makes the remaining 1/60 looks small! My damaged box was in great condition. Considering they advertised it as such I was surprised with the condition.

same here, it arrived today and after inspecting it the damage the box have is small.

post-30636-0-00359000-1454445058_thumb.jpg

post-30636-0-43660800-1454445071_thumb.jpg

post-30636-0-08515500-1454445083_thumb.jpg

Too bad it took Arcadia 2 tries getting it right instead of doing it right in the first place. I think they need testers like me that manhandle their valks.

I wouldn't mind becoming one of Arcadia's toy testers. I'll figure out what parts get paint chipping, where plastic isn't thick enough, joints not being tight enough. If I see one stress mark it needs to go back for revision! :lol:

ikr? totally worth it. The box isn't even that great anyway. I wish I could toss it, but I need to keep it for future storage purposes.

im a box keeper myself but in the past I had made the mistake of junking packaging only to regret doing so later on. When I had an extensive collection of 1:18 diecast cars I binned a good half of the boxes and some which had water damage from my old house (roof tile dislodged and let rain in directly above my bedroom wardrobe). Then once the day came that I decided to offload most of them it screwed me over as many buyers wanted the original packaging which I simply didn't have.. never again will that happen.

I have a question for jenius about is video on the fix of the issue. You didn't use any glue in the process but the leg is still attached to the leg. This leads me to the question why the leg came of in the first place. Was it not seated correctly inside the ball socket or where the two halves of the ball socket not closed all the way. I ask because if the leg stays attached without gluing it to the metal rot of the hip joint something had to be wrongly assembled.

I should take a close look at my VF-0 toys to get a better idea what is causing this issue.

Not take away from jenius answer, but i was fixing it right after the video was posted, and i didnt put any glue either.

The leg stays on as after repairing the half-ball, as the socket closes fully around the ball socket and thus the leg doesnt fall off.

The leg came off mainly due to a half plastic ball that is too big, causing the socket not to enclose the ball socket completely.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41401&page=2#entry1236713

I got the 0s from amiami yesterday and love it! especially the size in jet mode makes the remaining 1/60 looks small! My damaged box was in great condition. Considering they advertised it as such I was surprised with the condition.

same here, it arrived today and after inspecting it the damage the box have is small.

minimal box damage ftw!

VF-0A on sale on HLJ

http://www.hlj.com/product/aca82120?SaleGroup

May as well pick mine now, its a good price

dang that is a cool price, wish i waited now but then again you never know...

im a box keeper myself but in the past I had made the mistake of junking packaging only to regret doing so later on. When I had an extensive collection of 1:18 diecast cars I binned a good half of the boxes and some which had water damage from my old house (roof tile dislodged and let rain in directly above my bedroom wardrobe). Then once the day came that I decided to offload most of them it screwed me over as many buyers wanted the original packaging which I simply didn't have.. never again will that happen.

Yea next to near mint/very good condition toy a well kept box normally seals the deal... B))

Yep, the plastic ball is not supposed to be glued to the metal in anyway (something I was rather surprised by when my VF-0D leg fell apart). On my VF-0A it appears the culprit was the plastic ball adhering to the paint in the housing. I wonder if they didn't let the housing dry long enough before assembly. For people who think there's an issue with glue seeping into the housing area, I'd bet that it's the paint in the housing that is actually the problem. Anyway, if the plastic ball gets stuck then the metal moves without it, the two halves disconnect, this puts a little pressure inside the housing which opens the end a tiny bit, and the metal section comes right out of the housing. The same problem would happen if the screw to the housing wasn't tightened enough or the plastic half ball was a bit bigger than it was supposed to be (either through manufacturing error or left over flash).

I was waiting for a sale... now its here but I am still leery about the leg...

Should I wait for Arcadia's next announcement .....

Vf-0a special nlb (no broken leg) edition?

beat me up on reporting this mog!

damn its quite a discount since it launched. Wish i waited for it ; ;

I was waiting for a sale... now its here but I am still leery about the leg...

Should I wait for Arcadia's next announcement .....

Vf-0a special nlb (no broken leg) edition?

Haha nice one....i think there were some who didnt have the leg issue with the 0a....

But knowing what we know now...the other option is the upcoming 0 CF! B))

likely @ non sale price's for the 0CF tho... i hope there isnt a damaged box edition, else i will have to restrain myself for my wallet is screaming.... :lol:

Edited by seti88

Guest davidwhangchoi

Guys on the fence, it's from hlj. That means you have 10 day window to test it out. If the leg falls off it will be within the first transformation. It's a no brainer at this price w the protection

Guys on the fence, it's from hlj. That means you have 10 day window to test it out. If the leg falls off it will be within the first transformation. It's a no brainer at this price w the protection

I agree, you are safe going with HLJ.

Edited by Saburo

Man that discount is a bummer. I'm starting to think I should not preorder any more Arcadia products before they are getting a discount thus sinking Arcadia singlehandedly. It is a vicious circle! :lol::angry::unsure:

Edited by Scyla

I found Tenax glue sales person but they only sell tenax glues for ceramics. Sales person said she does not know what Tenax glue works with abs.

Can anyone tell me what model of Tenax plastic glue that works Arcadia kits so I can tell her what to find?

I found Tenax glue sales person but they only sell tenax glues for ceramics. Sales person said she does not know what Tenax glue works with abs.

Can anyone tell me what model of Tenax plastic glue that works Arcadia kits so I can tell her what to find?

If you're in the US, plastic weld -- methylene chloride -- is readily available at hobby stores everywhere; TENAX, AMBROID, TAMIYA, etc. all have their own versions. The stuff is called by different names depending on the manufacturer: plastic weld, plastic cement, etc., but the one constant is that they work by melting the plastic chemically so that the pieces fuse together (weld) into, essentially, a single unit where the join is usually as strong as the parent material; cyanoacrylate -- super glue, on the other hand, just creates a mechanical bond that is very strong in tension (pulling apart), okay in shear (opposing forces that make the joined surfaces slide against each other), and quite weak in torque (bending/twisting).

post-664-0-10952900-1454494763.jpgpost-664-0-39378300-1454494770_thumb.jpgpost-664-0-46786500-1454494778_thumb.jpgpost-664-0-73642900-1454494785_thumb.jpg

Even model cement like Testors, which is formulated for Styrene, will work on most ABS (a stronger type of Styrene) since they are chemically similar.

post-664-0-22088600-1454494792.jpg

Edit: Either the name TENAX applies to different brands or the sales person with whom you spoke was disingenuous, ignorant, or an imbecile.

Edited by mechaninac

For those on the fence, I wouldn't hold my breathe on a larger price decrease from HLJ or anywhere else. Not saying everyone should ignore any issues and rush out to buy one, but even the Arcadia VF-0A doesn't show up often on 2nd hand sites and other retailers aren't likely to beat a 35% discount off of MSRP.

So weigh the risk of an issue with the release, or paying more for one down the line.

And this sure is deja vu all over again - for those of us that were around for Yamato's boom and bust.

-b.

for those on the fence, I just wanna point out that this is actually a further discount on the VF-0A.

I actually got it when they slashed it to ¥24,360. Now it's even lower. Go figure.

Well, it's a coin-flip. :lol:Maybe it'll go down lower, maybe not.

My bet is that we won't see this in 50% off territory, but one never knows.

-b.