1/48 Hasegawa VF-1 Strike Valkyrie WIP

chaff.g

• 3 weeks later...

If it's the Super/Strike variant, the easiest way to tell is that the TV show didn't have a "Strike" with the massive beam canon on one shoulder. TV only got the "Super" variant. DYRL gets both so you can have the Super packs and it's still accurate (for a VF-1A at least).

But there are other variations. The canopy is slightly different with the DYRL version having a bubble profile, whereas the TV version is apparently more flat sided. And the cockpit itself is different too. Technically, the controls are totally different and the HUD has a combiner glass on the TV version, but the DYRL one does not, as the projections are holographic, I think.

The 1/48 kits come with both styles of canopy but I'm not sure if the controls on the instrument panels are reflected as different.

Edited by mickyg

IIRC, the kit came with only a single DYRL cockpit interior. Hasegawa produces only one photo-etched parts set, and the cockpit details included therein correspond to the SDFM version. A few of these parts can't be used at all with this kit, as it won't accomodate them.

However, the kit included one each of the tv and movie canopies. It's kinda nice because you can use the canopy you don't want as a mask for the cockpit during the build.

Edited by chaff.g

• 5 months later...

Chaff, totally awesome work. I went through the entire thread and as a new comer here yours was the first WiP I read. I must say I love your use of these tiny magnetic hard points...simply brilliant. Also, I really enjoyed looking at how you applied the tamiya panel enhancer/wash...very nice indeed. I have a similar kit VF-1A and your work will be used as a guide ;)

Btw, in your post (126) in the 11th pic there is a space craft model sitting a shelf below the Valkyrie...can you please tell me what is that as it looks cool. TIA

Mike

Chaff, totally awesome work. I went through the entire thread and as a new comer here yours was the first WiP I read. I must say I love your use of these tiny magnetic hard points...simply brilliant. Also, I really enjoyed looking at how you applied the tamiya panel enhancer/wash...very nice indeed. I have a similar kit VF-1A and your work will be used as a guide ;)

Btw, in your post (126) in the 11th pic there is a space craft model sitting a shelf below the Valkyrie...can you please tell me what is that as it looks cool. TIA

Mike

Thanks Mike. That craft in the 11th pic is a replica of dasnewten's Prometheus MOC. It's a Lego model of a Studio Nue-inspired craft:

7064967105_0f71cdd819_b.jpgPicket Frigate Prometheus by dasnewten, on Flickr

It's featured on dasnewten's incredible flickr.

Chaff, this is really a fantastic build and tutorial, thanks for sharing it! I've collected a fair number of the 1/72 kits and plan to start building then soon, but I'm on the verge of ordering a 1/48 VF-1A/J and etched parts after reading your thread. The detail on this model really seems to stand out in 1/48. I hadn't see the Hasegawa saw set for panel lines before either and plan to order one soon. I just received an order of those tiny rare earth magnets in the mail too. I was curious if the same technique could be made to work on the 1/72 weapons racks. I'd like to even try building a few racks to carry JDAMs. I'm considering some sort of dual seater VF-1 like an F-15E...

Thanks again for posting this!