1/32 F-14 Tomcat magazine subscription to build model?

kyekye

I'm not sure if this is right section of the forum to post this since it's not really Macross model (but hey it's cool F-14 model), so please move if it's not.

From Hachette Collections Japan, Introducing 1/32 F-14 Tomcat - 'Subscribe to magazine to build' series.

TV CM

DVD introduction

If I'm correct, Some Japanese bookstore in US can do the subscription for you.

I'm gonna check Kinokuniya bookstore in my neighbor tomorrow.

First Issue comes out on 1/21!~

Edited by kyekye

I see some issues (both general shape, and "what specifically makes an F-14D, a D")

Biggest issue though---intakes are all wrong, they're mounted like an F-15's. That's going to screw up the gloves, too. Head-on, the intakes are not straight up and down---they slope outwards from top to bottom. Compare to the model's "vertical" intakes:

4176893422_731cbd5c3a_z.jpg

I'm thinking they copied the Academy kit, because that's the Academy kit's biggest flaw---having "flat/straight" intakes like an F-15/MiG-25, not the F-14's sloped ones that are angled with the upper glove.

Also---better scheme needed. I know the Tomcatters have some fans, but compared to Jolly Rogers/Black Knights/Sundowners?

I see some issues (both general shape, and "what specifically makes an F-14D, a D")

Biggest issue though---intakes are all wrong, they're mounted like an F-15's. That's going to screw up the gloves, too. Head-on, the intakes are not straight up and down---they slope outwards from top to bottom. Compare to the model's "vertical" intakes:

4176893422_731cbd5c3a_z.jpg

I'm thinking they copied the Academy kit, because that's the Academy kit's biggest flaw---having "flat/straight" intakes like an F-15/MiG-25, not the F-14's sloped ones that are angled with the upper glove.

Also---better scheme needed. I know the Tomcatters have some fans, but compared to Jolly Rogers/Black Knights/Sundowners?

Cool model idea but I have to agree David, the flaws are indeed rather disappointing.. I'd also have preferred a different paint scheme, I've always been rather fond of the Sundowners!

I believe they used Tamiya 1/32 F-14D kit - not Academy kit

You mean this angle? Maybe it's not correct degree?

item09.jpg

Sorry, it's Trumpeter, not Academy. (I always get them confused--but I'm not the only one!)

The "centered" head-on pic they show has the intakes look much more vertical.

More importantly---Tamiya only ever made the F-14A. The only 1/32 F-14D is Trumpeter's. If they copied the Tamiya---they'd have to make a lot of "D" parts themselves. (and it'd look better, if they copied the Tamiya)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Sorry, it's Trumpeter, not Academy. (I always get them confused--but I'm not the only one!)

More importantly---Tamiya only ever made the F-14A. The only 1/32 F-14D is Trumpeter's. If they copied the Tamiya---they'd have to make a lot of "D" parts themselves. (and it'd look better, if they copied the Tamiya)

i have the tamiya kit box sitting on my shelf and yeah, it's the 14A

This. Overpriced, oversized Kinder Egg toy if you ask me. I dream of the day Tamiya decides to overhaul its F-14A and produce a decent D model, although the Trumpeter kit is still respectably decent with the aftermarket resin intakes.

i have the tamiya kit box sitting on my shelf and yeah, it's the 14A

There was 'D' conversion kit for Tamiya kit (http://www.hlj.com/product/wlfwp32001/Air) . I was confused because I was looking at the model that was converted using that option part.

I just thought the Infrared remote controler idea was cool for moving parts and LEDs.

BTW, Kinokuniya bookstore got back to me with info if anyone is interested.

*The subscription prices(store pick up) are

By Sea

6mo (25 issue) - $611.56

1yr (100 issue) - $1158.75

The payment of the subscription must be prepaid.

Edited by kyekye

I've got a Tamiya kit with a Wolfpack conversion set to turn it into a F-14B (well, the conversion is for a D, but I'm pulling the engines from the set to make a 'Rogers B Model)

The trumpeter kit isn't *terrible* (I think the intake issue is overblown... certainly not as noticeable as the nose on academys 1/48 tomcat

The trumpeter kit isn't *terrible* (I think the intake issue is overblown...

First thing I ever noticed when I saw the first dry-fit test of that kit. "OMG, it looks like a MiG-25 from head-on". IMHO, it's one of the biggest errors I've seen in many years. Unforgiveable considering how many pics exist of the F-14 on the web.

First thing I ever noticed when I saw the first dry-fit test of that kit. "OMG, it looks like a MiG-25 from head-on". IMHO, it's one of the biggest errors I've seen in many years. Unforgiveable considering how many pics exist of the F-14 on the web.

There was also the correction kit for that :D

http://www.zactomodels.com/html/F-14/F14_intakes.htm

I guess you guys know about this already since you were part of other forum discussion... :p

Edited by kyekye

Guest davidwhangchoi

There was 'D' conversion kit for Tamiya kit (http://www.hlj.com/product/wlfwp32001/Air) . I was confused because I was looking at the model that was converted using that option part.

I just thought the Infrared remote controler idea was cool for moving parts and LEDs.

BTW, Kinokuniya bookstore got back to me with info if anyone is interested.

*The subscription prices(store pick up) are

By Sea

6mo (25 issue) - $611.56

1yr (100 issue) - $1158.75

The payment of the subscription must be prepaid.

kyekye, you planning on getting this? your sdf-1 is amazing, my guess is you can do your own custom.

There was also the correction kit for that :D

http://www.zactomodels.com/html/F-14/F14_intakes.htm

I guess you guys know about this already since you were part of other forum discussion... :p

Yeah, and you shouldn't need a massive correction kit for such a basic thing, that no other kit ever got wrong before. The biggest/newest/most expensive kit shouldn't be the least-accurate in overall cross-section.

Yeah, and you shouldn't need a massive correction kit for such a basic thing, that no other kit ever got wrong before. The biggest/newest/most expensive kit shouldn't be the least-accurate in overall cross-section.

True that!~

kyekye, you planning on getting this? your sdf-1 is amazing, my guess is you can do your own custom.

I'm not really good with electronics.. Yet I like little gimmicks like wings movement and flaps, lights..etc.

However, the cost seems a lot more than the entertainment value, and the shape doesn't sound all accurate.

So probably not worth it for me.

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Is it a 1/32 scale F-14? I didn't see a scale size mentioned. 

If only I were a wealthy $$$ individual, I'd contact that builder to make me 2 or 3 of those plus the flight deck! :D

Probably it is the 1/32 scale. The video shows those acrylic tubes that it has underneath from the DVD video link posted from the OP post. Not to mention the same gimiks that it has.

33 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Probably it is the 1/32 scale. The video shows those acrylic tubes that it has underneath from the DVD video link posted from the OP post. Not to mention the same gimiks that it has.

That's why I edited my earlier post, I was like "oh yeah it says the scale size in the thread title".... D'ho! :p

Those moving flaps, stabilizers and Canopy, so awesome! 

On 1/22/2015 at 7:10 PM, kyekye said:

Oh Cool! So.. this was not a new idea after all!~

My mother in law got me a subscription to Nobunaga's Azuchi Castle.....I have no idea where I'm going to put that thing when I get around to building it.

13 hours ago, peter said:

My mother in law got me a subscription to Nobunaga's Azuchi Castle.....I have no idea where I'm going to put that thing when I get around to building it.

One does not "put" Nobunaga someplace... he gets himself appointed Feudal-Lord of your Man-Cave, then plots to overthrow you and become shogun of your entire house!!:lol:

On 10/20/2018 at 12:56 PM, arbit said:

I lost it all day after seeing that. But it is enormous in size, and it is manufactured, not custom made. 

After reviewing his blog, actually it is heavily customized. Lighting is hand made, and fully repainted, in a addition to custom servo-controlled display base. I had a similar project planned in 1/72, but this has really raised the bar. Back to the drawing board...

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I'm actually doing a build up of this beast right now at another forum.  I invite anyone who is curious about it to check it out.

Awesome! I will join you over there and bother the heck out of you with questions.

Edited by arbit

• 2 weeks later...