What gimmicks would you like for the Destroids?

drifand

We know Yamato is planning to release the Destroids probably sometime in 2004. So far the only decent toys of the Destroids we have been able to get are probably one of the 3:

- 1/144 Mecha Collection Series by Takatoku Toys - no gimmicks at all

- 1/100 Conversion Kit by Takatoku Toys - nifty endoskeleton, but the armor has no gimmicks

- 1/72-ish Robotech figures - Hampered in articulation but has some decent gimmicks

I'm hoping that Yamato can produce nicely articulated Destroids with a decent amount of gimmicks. Just some ideas floating in my head:

Destroid Tomahawk

Of the 4 smaller Destroids, this may be the only one that can feature a opening cockpit hatch...

- Slide forward cockpit hatch with pilot figure

- Opening chest missile pods (RT toy has this gimmick)

- Clear parts for the visor and "TV" scope

- Optional "opened" hatches for the 6-missile launcher

Destroid Defender

Since the cockpit hatch is quite small, I doubt making it openable is a good idea. The only obvious gimmicks are rotatable radar and opening ammo hatches. Perhaps this is a real opportunity for light-up search lights in the chest?

Destroid Phalanx

- Tilting and rotating "head" with clear parts for the search lights

- Opening missile hatches of course

- Removeable missiles to display "partially fired" scenario

- Um.. removable main radar hatch? (not likely, I guess)

Destroid Spartan

- Opening chest hatch for internal cannon

- Opening missile pod hatches (they are missile pods, right?)

- Rotatable sensor/scope

- Rotatable head lasers

- Proper articulation for the arms (the RT version is quite limited)

- Hands that can hold an included GU-11 gunpod (may require optional hands)

Destroid Monster

No one's sure if it will ever be produced... but what the heck

- Opening cockpit to reveal 3 crew members (as seen in the show)

- Individually poseable main cannons (like a battleship's main guns)

- Detented joints for the arms and hips for solid posing

- Removeable ammo compartment (with more detail than the little TT version)

It would be really cool if the legs feature realistically detailed mechanisms, like how the 1/48 FPs can be stripped open, but this is probably too much of a luxury.

I think most of these are quite reasonable in terms of achievability... Anyone else has more ideas to share?

Your ideas are pretty good.

I'm most interested in good articulation... wheels on the feet of those destroids that have them (if any... the ones that come to mind are all Macross-II), good leg (ankle, knee, hip) and arm (wrist, elbow, shoulder) articulation in particular is more desirable to me than hip and waist.

Removable pilots for all would be nice, as well as removable missiles for those destroids that have them. Good paint jobs would round it out.

I'd rather these things be relatively inexpensive and/or sold in multi-packs ("army builders") than have gimmicks they don't need.

Destroid Monster

No one's sure if it will ever be produced... but what the heck

I thought this will definitely come along? :huh: Did I miss something?

MW member Inwards made a good post on the old boards - If you want to make a toy at 1/100 scale, the prototype sculpt has to be larger than 1/100 in order to make the molds. The one Yamato has shown is at 1/60 scale. To make the toy at 1/60 scale, the proto needs to be even larger. Thus... no actual announcements about the Monster's production. Just keep your fingers crossed!

Nah....the Monster's definitely on its way. Here's imode post from Valkyrie-exchange talking about the 8/18/03 Yamato newsletter:

A little blurb at the bottom mentions the Quad-rau and the Monster coming in 2004.  Apparently they're part of a new line of toys from them called the action scale model series. Most likely this means that there are going to be more that follow... The Q-rau and Monster are also confirmed to be in 1/60 and NOT 1/48 as some believed (and hoped).

Release date for the VE VT and the 1/48 FP's are also set for August 30th.

Everyone get ready to empty those pockets!

Hello Monster, Goodbye Wallet. :D

I'd want to see an INSANE amount of articulation. Hip ball joints, knees, thigh twisting, etc etc. :)

When those pictures of those little fix figure silver prototypes of those destroids surfaced from that one convention (tokyo toy fair? I forget already) people slammed them saying stuff :) like "Tomahawk's shouldn't be able to pose like that". To me though, that was the coolest Tomahawk I've ever seen.

Edited by imode

I think good poseability and good detail aren't a gimmick

opening cockpits/hatches, same

a walking Monster, working searchlights or working radars, now those are gimmicks

(edit: But I could care less for those)

Edited by Nightbat®

....i know its off topic but i really want a buttload of bad dudes. 

ewwwww :lol::lol::lol:

sorry, couldn't be helped. Between the discussions in TV and Movies about (ass) rips of Mac 7 and the Mann Release vs. Vaseline discussion on Valkyrie-exchange, it's hard to keep my mind out of the gutter.

Seriously though, cool gimmicks versus pricetag will be a big factor. Destroids just aren't as popular among non-hardcore Macross lovers as Valkyries are.

Personally, I'd like more enemy mecha too. Where's my Regult dammit?

....i know its off topic but i really want a buttload of bad dudes. 

ewwwww :lol::lol::lol:

sorry, couldn't be helped. Between the discussions in TV and Movies about (ass) rips of Mac 7 and the Mann Release vs. Vaseline discussion on Valkyrie-exchange, it's hard to keep my mind out of the gutter.

Seriously though, cool gimmicks versus pricetag will be a big factor. Destroids just aren't as popular among non-hardcore Macross lovers as Valkyries are.

Personally, I'd like more enemy mecha too. Where's my Regult dammit?

Don't expect anything lower the $100. It seems to be the "standard" price tag for everything now a days.

Some gimmicks I would like to see across the whole line of Destroids:

- various insignia themes and stickers (from different units, so you can choose to have all of them from the same unit or from several different units)

- small support vehicles in scale. They gave some of the MSIA figures little scale vehicles like jets, jeeps and tanks, I'd like to see the same for the destroids... just macross vehicles. Each Destroid would come with one small support vehicle.

- seeing as the Destroids are not much more than cannon fodder in the series, I'd like to see swappable damaged parts like battle damaged arms, legs and things.

- each Destroid should come with a diorama base (like some of the McFarlane figures), and the diorama bases should all link together to form one big one. They are land units after all and land is an important part of their little lives. The bases could also be integrated into the figures, such as have the Defender split in half at the torso and attach to his base like the "turret Defender" you see every now and then in Macross TV

For the Q-Rau and similar sized Zentradi gear, $100+ may indeed be the case. But for the smaller Destroids, I'm hoping they come closer to or below the 1/60 Valk's MSRP. It'll be pretty wierd to have them cost more than the VF-1!

The only gimmick I want for the Q-rau is the ability to stand on its own. Alll pictures have the Q-rau on transparent blocks to keep it standing on its own... which really worried me. :(

Some gimmicks I would like to see across the whole line of Destroids:

- various insignia themes and stickers (from different units, so you can choose to have all of them from the same unit or from several different units)

- small support vehicles in scale. They gave some of the MSIA figures little scale vehicles like jets, jeeps and tanks, I'd like to see the same for the destroids... just macross vehicles. Each Destroid would come with one small support vehicle.

- seeing as the Destroids are not much more than cannon fodder in the series, I'd like to see swappable damaged parts like battle damaged arms, legs and things.

- each Destroid should come with a diorama base (like some of the McFarlane figures), and the diorama bases should all link together to form one big one. They are land units after all and land is an important part of their little lives. The bases could also be integrated into the figures, such as have the Defender split in half at the torso and attach to his base like the "turret Defender" you see every now and then in Macross TV

Very cool! Here's another thought inspired by the diorama parts:

A DELUXE display setpiece for the bow doors of the Daedalus!!! How cool (and crazy) would that be? How big would it be in 1/60? Too big?

For the Q-Rau and similar sized Zentradi gear, $100+ may indeed be the case. But for the smaller Destroids, I'm hoping they come closer to or below the 1/60 Valk's MSRP. It'll be pretty wierd to have them cost more than the VF-1!

I seem to remember the destroids being smaller than VF-1's, except for the Monster, that is. They also don't transform. I suppose, if they are going to cost around $100 it'll be due to high diecast content, and increased "bulk".

I'd like some missles. Detachable missles that fit in the tubes. Maybe some opening parts in the armor, to see internal machinery, etc...

BTW, where can I find all those destroids you mentioned?

Your best bet is eBay, I guess... Toynami is supposed to reissue the 4 Robotech Destroids in slightly updated paint schemes. The original issues aren't worth much more than $12~$20, IMO. For vintage Destroids, you could try Robozone.com, although their prices aren't exactly the lowest. A friend once paid US$40 for one of those 1/144 Takatoku destroids. The 1/100 Conversion Kit can easily fetch US$150++ for a set in really good condition. The box IS really beautiful though :)

I'd like some missles. Detachable missles that fit in the tubes. Maybe some opening parts in the armor, to see internal machinery, etc...

BTW, where can I find all those destroids you mentioned?

Your best bet is eBay, I guess... Toynami is supposed to reissue the 4 Robotech Destroids in slightly updated paint schemes. The original issues aren't worth much more than $12~$20, IMO. For vintage Destroids, you could try Robozone.com, although their prices aren't exactly the lowest. A friend once paid US$40 for one of those 1/144 Takatoku destroids. The 1/100 Conversion Kit can easily fetch US$150++ for a set in really good condition. The box IS really beautiful though :)

I heard the toynami reissues were canned.

Some mumbo jumbo about the original molds being degraded due to lack of consumer interest :p

I really like JsArclight's ideas, especially the small support vehicles. Are there any pictures or episode references for this:

have the Defender split in half at the torso and attach to his base like the "turret Defender" you see every now and then in Macross TV

I think a 1/60 Daedalus bow would be a little too big to be affordable, unless it's made out of cardboard. How many monsters fit into it during a Daedalus attack? According to my calculations, it would be at least a yard wide.

Destroid Spartan

Doesn't the Spartan carry a club? Some pictures make it look kind of high-tech (an overtechnology club?) but it's simply described as "metal club".

Nanashi's reference

As for price, if they're 1/60, I think they should cost about the same as a 1/60 Valk, maybe as much as a 1/60 Valk with FAST packs if there are a lot of extras (like removable missiles).

I really like JsArclight's ideas, especially the small support vehicles. Are there any pictures or episode references for this:
have the Defender split in half at the torso and attach to his base like the "turret Defender" you see every now and then in Macross TV

I think a 1/60 Daedalus bow would be a little too big to be affordable, unless it's made out of cardboard. How many monsters fit into it during a Daedalus attack? According to my calculations, it would be at least a yard wide.

Destroid Spartan

Doesn't the Spartan carry a club? Some pictures make it look kind of high-tech (an overtechnology club?) but it's simply described as "metal club".

Nanashi's reference

As for price, if they're 1/60, I think they should cost about the same as a 1/60 Valk, maybe as much as a 1/60 Valk with FAST packs if there are a lot of extras (like removable missiles).

We only see 1 monster (or was it 3?) inside the daedalus. A 1/60 Daedalus would be gigantic... specially to fit a 1/60 monster.

We only see 1 monster (or was it 3?) inside the daedalus. A 1/60 Daedalus would be gigantic... specially to fit a 1/60 monster.

In the series? We see 2 different paint schemes. All green and the one with two shades of green.

In the series? We see 2 different paint schemes. All green and the one with two shades of green.

Huh? Paint schemes? I thought he was talking about how many fit inisde the Daedalus during the Daedalus attack. :huh:

Personally I would love to see a SOC style Destroid line. They are suppose to be the Macross' version of tanks so some die cast would give it the feel. Put some rubber in the knee joints and where they are suppose to be and clear plastic on the lights. Removeable missiles would be cool. And everything Drifand mentioned in the first post. (Oh and a limited number cel... :p )