Macross Oculus Rift Experience

SpacePirateNeko

Just taking a tally here for some ideas.

If you could walk around in a macross environment which one would it be.

Yes i am making something but i need to narrow it down.

1. there has to be a good amount of reference on it, like anything there is going to have to be some interpretation and fill in the blank but i want the environment to be as close as i can to the show

2. It has to be somewhat iconic and have the macross touch. Sure a chinese restaurant would look nice..but thats just a restaurant. So something a little more MACROSS

3. though i love all of the macross series ( yes even 7) for this first project i'll keep it to the original, trying to capture one of the thinsg that made you an artist in teh first place now that you have the ability to etc etc

4. and last requirement..although i would love to model the entirety of the sdf 1, that is not gonna happen. i am just one freelance game artist doing this in time between projects. So it has to be reasonable..the deck of the ship is reasonable for instance and is one idea. I have thought about just doing a vf-1 with you locked in cockpit but that seems so constrained..maybe the hanger with a vf-1 in it possibly?

This will be done in unreal 4 and be completely PBR, if i do include any characters, slight possibility, they will retain their anime look. Not a big fan on realistic portrayals of anime, especially not the ones i grew up with .

So feel free to drop any ideas on what you would liek to see...this week ill just be looking things over and finding an idea, next week i will begin a blockout.

I like the idea of the hangar where you could walk around some valkyries, but that sounds like a lot of work!

Walking around the dyrl city would be pretty cool, like the concert hall or humburger popo. Would leave a little creative license for you to fill in the blanks.

I have the 1st dev kit-are you make it for v1 or v2?

SDF-1 Bridge?

I totally meant bridge when i said deck in the op. It's one of the options im looking into. I do like the idea of the hanger. I'm gonna take a look through perfect memory a little later today and see what i can find on both, as well as some city shots.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

I like the idea of the hangar where you could walk around some valkyries, but that sounds like a lot of work!

Walking around the dyrl city would be pretty cool, like the concert hall or humburger popo. Would leave a little creative license for you to fill in the blanks.

I have the 1st dev kit-are you make it for v1 or v2?

This will be DK2, i'm not sure how well backwards compat works but it shouldnt be too hard, i'll look into it once i start moving things into unreal.

A hangar and a Valkyrie would be awesome. But perhaps it would be better to make that in the upcoming "Star Citizen" game, since I hear mods and community content is going to be a really open and widely available part of the game. I posted once before about my idea for an Isamu/YF-19 hangar and VF sequence in that game. Hoping it happens :)

The SDF-1 bridge sounds like a great idea. I made a bunch of new scans for the next update of my site, I'll post the stuff here.

post-114-0-93022400-1420929506_thumb.gif

post-114-0-97951000-1420929511_thumb.gif

post-114-0-30209400-1420929516_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A hangar and a Valkyrie would be awesome. But perhaps it would be better to make that in the upcoming "Star Citizen" game, since I hear mods and community content is going to be a really open and widely available part of the game. I posted once before about my idea for an Isamu/YF-19 hangar and VF sequence in that game. Hoping it happens :)

The SDF-1 bridge sounds like a great idea. I made a bunch of new scans for the next update of my site, I'll post the stuff here.

Thanks, i have just about every macross art book in existence in digital form, yet still having a hard time finding any hanger reference..eitehr there isnt much or im just skimming past them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love the worn label on the side. Very nice work!

I am ambivalent about the label. The Macross is essentially a new ship, would it have a ripped label? However it does add a sense of realism. So I am torn... :unsure:

I am ambivalent about the label. The Macross is essentially a new ship, would it have a ripped label? However it does add a sense of realism. So I am torn... :unsure:

Something i actually thought about while making this. Eventually i settled on a lived in look...atm im not sure where this bridge scene is in the timeline yet but i was thinking out in space after its taken quite a few bruises. you are going to be able to see outside the windows...so it depends which planet i end up sticking out there.

I am going to try and get whats done so far set up in Unreal this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started to import this into Unreal. I wanted to get at least some of it in before opening a patreon. This is pretty much what i do for a living, but freelance gigs can be few and far between so i am going to start a patreon with the hopes of being able to create a full bridge vr experience..if all goes well id like to continue making more vr scenes and releasing them. The entire Galaxy Express 999 would be really interesting....i would like to build the entire interior and then have it travel to a few destinations. More Macross stuff as well.....hey lets see how the patreon goes, you may get a full sdf1, vf1 or city 7 out of it.

vuDglk5.jpg