Flight Suit for a Story or Somethin

DeductiblyBonkers

Not my greatest work to be sure (and thats mostly due to my computer conking out), but I've had the inklings of a Macross story idea in my head for the past week and felt like getting some designs down. I'll get some logos and valk liveries done up soon too. Green TSV-40 bc I like green suits and I like the TSV-40 and there's nothing that says a green variant of that suit wasn't ever produced. =P

post-28809-0-05941100-1419840616_thumb.png

Credit goes to whoever drew the TSV-40 from the YF-19 Master File

Edited by DeductiblyBonkers

Nice 2040's era suit and helmet, but what about all the other flight suits?

There are at least 7 as far as I can recall...

There are a bunch of others! At the moment this is the only one I need to worry about but I'll probably do more when the need arises.

Really nice work! Because I'm not as big of a Macross nerd as I wish I was, can you clarify if this is original, derivative or based on canon? I know for sure it looks Macross Plus era, but nothing more.

Also, I really like it in OD Green, as it lends it a realistic military feel. That was my favorite thing about Macross Zero. It felt like a comprehensible jump from modern military uniforms / jets / gear to the mythical Macross stuff. They used a lot of cues like OD green flight suits and things to help sell it.

Speaking of which, and perhaps this isn't the place to speculate, but while the HUGE sun-shade/beak that we all known and love on Macross helmets might be a bit of an obstruction to the pilots view (when it isn't transparent as it is here and in M:P) I was recently thinking it could house a 3D reflector/projector responsible for the awesome array of HUD symbology seen in Macross DYRL and onward. Modern in-helmet-cuing systems seem to be moving that way too.

The TSV-40 suit is canon I believe, I took it out of an art book, but I took a few liberties with the colors. I believe the suit was designed for use with the VF-19, so you are correct on the era!

Yeah, I loved that about the suits in Zero, probably one of my favorite flight suits in Macross to be honest.^^ That's a pretty cool idea with the HUD too!

Gotta say, the TSV-40 is my all around favorite flight suit. I even drew a white variant for an RPG I'm part of. It's a bit stylized in terms of proportions, but it's got the overall look.

RdadWN7.jpg?1

Edited by Falconkpd

Speaking of which, and perhaps this isn't the place to speculate, but while the HUGE sun-shade/beak that we all known and love on Macross helmets might be a bit of an obstruction to the pilots view (when it isn't transparent as it is here and in M:P) I was recently thinking it could house a 3D reflector/projector responsible for the awesome array of HUD symbology seen in Macross DYRL and onward. Modern in-helmet-cuing systems seem to be moving that way too.

Kawamori finally explained the purpose of the helmet's visor (other than it looked cool when they first designed it), Macross Zero, where the visor held the laser sensor that allowed the pilot to target lock incoming ordinance just by looking at it. They clearly re-thought the design by the 2040's and gave it clear windows. One could argue the the first generation design used during the Great Space War

Gotta say, the TSV-40 is my all around favorite flight suit. I even drew a white variant for an RPG I'm part of. It's a bit stylized in terms of proportions, but it's got the overall look.

RdadWN7.jpg?1

It is a logical derivative of the M0 and DYRL flight suites.

RdadWN7.jpg?1

Very nice work! I like how the colors look on this suit.