Yamato First Run 1/60 YF-19

Doublepush

Congrats on getting one in good condition! I actually think the old YF-19 is more fun to transform, and I still prefer the sliding tails to the Arcadia version.

I held off buying a YF-19 as long as I could, until I had the YF-21 and VF-11B, because I kept hoping Yamato would come out with a fix for the gullet.. the arched back on the old one always bugged me a ton. Aside from that though, I do miss the old ankles, and I always found it handy to be able to disassemble the entire thing so easily.

At some point, I actually just gave up and decided to start cutting into it, figuring I didn't want to buy another one of that mold. I almost wound up regretting cutting into the only one I had, but the Arcadia one came and solved that little problem. :p

I haven't finished this mod, since Arcadia YF-19 made it seem pointless, but it is possible to re-align the nose section a little to make the fuselage look a little more streamlined.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38775#entry1030036

It'd be a pretty significant mod to complete, with some painting (and paint matching) to get it looking right, but I loved the effect it had on the overall shape of the plane, even if it didn't quite fix the bulky gullet.

If you choose to try and mod yours, good luck! But either way, it's not a terrible design, it just shows its age when compared to the newer VF-19 molds. Getting a late stock release is your best bet, the early ones seemed to suffer from some of the same terrible plastic as the early VF-0 releases. The shoulders on mine exploded in a similar manner, and they are barely held together by a super glue coating now.

Edited by Chronocidal

Very interesting mod, Chrono! I didn't bother getting the Arcadia or the Bandai -19's--I'm probably one of the few (if not the only one) who actually prefers the battroid and GERWALK modes of the Yammie 1/60 YF-19. That, and the fact that the newer ones won't scale in with the YF-21.

Anyways, the mod looks like something I might be able to try out. Thanks for posting it!

Edited by GU-11

I'm still far too inexperienced at even customizing model kits, let alone high quality completed transforming figures, but that's a super awesome mod! I'll have to bookmark it for a braver day. In other news though my 19 did arrive today safe and sound in the mail, the 2004 repackage. Managed to snap a couple pics so far in the display thread and most recent purchase thread but I have to wait until my kids are in bed to really dive into this beast.

Now that I've had a few minutes to transform him he's in pretty damn good condition. I do need to tighten a few joints and could use a little help from someone who's taken this guy apart and fiddled with him a bit. Mainly I need to tighten the swivels on both shoulders (the up and down swivel), and the horizontal swivel joint on the knee. Any help would be appreciated as to which parts to remove and where to apply future, or which screws to tighten. Cheers

Successfully ripped apart and tuned up a valk for the first time. Everything is nice and tight, my 19 can hold just about any pose now and look great doing it. It's still a strange concept to me that high quality toys require regular maintenance, like a car.

post-29874-0-91775100-1422809391_thumb.jpg

There's a small piece of plastic on the underside of the swiveling portion of the shoulder that is attached to the torso. You have to (CAREFULLY) pry it out (one side on mine was fairly easy, the other snapped on it's way out) that covers up the two screw holes.

I'm still happy enough with my Yamato YF-19 FP that I'm not looking to replace it with the Arcadia. If I didn't have it, I would want the Arcadia though. It is a bit floppy in battroid, but not as bad as my DX VF-27 Brera. I am mostly a fighter guy, though and it's great there.

I've got my first flightpose stand in the mail right now which I'm super excited for. The 19 is the one I want to display most in fighter mode but also the one I don't have a dedicated stand for yet, so he's relegated to being gears down laying on his belly. It's shameful really, grounding such a beautiful bird. Few more days and I'll be able to have an extensive photo shoot (won't hold a candle to Saburo's pics but I'll be trying my best :p)

Haha, sorry all I could think when you replied was "I'm a guy that designs and sells stands, here to tell you that Valkyries look better on stands" :p some day I'll buy a few of your stands Yeti but I've gotta get more valks before I spend that much on a stand. Damn international shipping costs and my Canadian...ness. Doesn't stop me from drooling over the photos of them in action though

Haha, sorry all I could think when you replied was "I'm a guy that designs and sells stands, here to tell you that Valkyries look better on stands" :p some day I'll buy a few of your stands Yeti but I've gotta get more valks before I spend that much on a stand. Damn international shipping costs and my Canadian...ness. Doesn't stop me from drooling over the photos of them in action though

LOL......but is a good business strategy....

yeti...am from chile and the international shipping cost is to high for me....but i really want yours stand.......but i have to visit miami in september so i hope you still have some of your stand in that time.

sorry for the OT :p

First and foremost I am a collector. :)

One of my favorite aspects of collecting Macross is that the fans are so passionate. To the point where many people are using real skills and technology to make some fantastic modifications, improvements, repairs, and accessories for their collectibles and sharing them with others.

One of my favorite aspects of collecting Macross is that the fans are so passionate. To the point where many people are using real skills and technology to make some fantastic modifications, improvements, repairs, and accessories for their collectibles and sharing them with others.

Quoted for Truth

-b.

And speaking of accessories, my 6" FlightPose arrived in the mail today. I'll be putting it through it's pace later and taking some photos with a real camera once the kids are in bed, for now you'll just have to accept this shitty phone cam. Definitely forgot to eat lunch today since I spent my whole lunch break trying to get a pose that looked cool and allowed room in my detolf for my other two valks :p

Managed to make them fit, though it is a touch crowded. I've been meaning to change them up a bit anyway though so maybe I'll do that tonight now

post-29874-0-85077100-1423167930_thumb.jpg

post-29874-0-57137300-1423168231_thumb.jpg

Got my photo area all set up yesterday only to realize my camera battery was drained beyond the point of turning on without being charged for a couple hours first, and then I got deep into some Gunpla and lost track of time.

post-29874-0-07551700-1423235188_thumb.jpg

That's what my goal is but as of right now I only have the 6" stand, all the others were sold out when I ordered. Eventually I want one of each size, because those poses are what I was trying to acheive

Understandable.

When I first joined the boards years ago, I had heard of and seen pictures of the legendary Flexidisplay stands in action, but no was producing them at the time. (Supposedly, they even had a circular base version before too.)

So, I figured my chance to own some had already passed.

Thankfully, Los picked up the license and started selling them a couple years later.

I just hope they find a way to resolve that whole paint-stripping issue with the newer versions.

• 3 years later...