Yamato First Run 1/60 YF-19

Doublepush

After checking a couple reviews I still haven't been able to come to a concrete answer so I figured the best place to ask would be here. Is the first run Yamato YF 19 (box art in attached image) a release that should be avoided in favor of the later releases (such as the fold booster gift set)? Or is it still a good release on it's own? I just can't really afford the Arcadia release and the price difference of the two Yamato runs is pretty vast so I was hoping for a clearer description of any updates/fixes.

post-29874-0-69148900-1419729236_thumb.jpg

I do remember that the ver1 rear landing gears don't extend outward.

Also there was isue with the fighter mode nose hinge but that has long been fixed with replacement parts from shapeways by a member here (VF5SS or veef).

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/veefshop

Some people also had breakage on the arms (not me), so might as well get those too to save on shipping.

Edited by aaajin

Yamato's first run of their YF-19, while no entirely terrible, had a fair number of issues in addition to its wonky, gullet-tastic, arched back proportions, most notably the crooked gun-pod syndrome in fighter mode -- when mounted it cannot face straight ahead. Yamato's second release, the one that included the Fast Packs and Fold Booster, corrected this problem... no fixing the odd side profile, though. Bear in mind, however, that Arcadia's version also has plenty of flaws: horrible ankle design (Yamato's is much better in this regard) and a gun-pod that points down when mounted in fighter mode (Yamato's 2nd release doesn't have the ground strafing gun-pod weirdness of Arcadia's, but it is undersized to the toy; also, Arcadia forgot to include the vent slots on their gun-pod's barrel jacket).

You can also go here for a full rundown on the Yamato 1/60 YF-19 toys.

Edited by mechaninac

Yeah I had read through and watched that video review as well as a few others and it seemed all of the loose joint issues in the anymoon review were only really present in his review. I don't know, I kind of like the look of the Yamato one and it's a lot cheaper to find. I was mainly looking for more info on the common breaks or loose joints. Thanks to everyone for all the info and quick replies

Sounds like you are looking for someone to say it is worth it. It is not. Compared to the Arcadia for sure, and probably the Bandai vf-19 advanced, Yamato's first crack at the 1/60 YF-19 is lack luster.

Keep an eye out for the VF-19 Advanced come pre order time. You'll snag one from one place or another.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

as previously mentioned by others, the Yamato YF-19 are pretty shabby and best avoided.. even if you were to find one mint, sealed & never transformed they are still an odd looking floppy mess..

They do look fairly ok in fighter mode but Gerwalk and Battroid just get worse respectively.

unless you are specifically after a 19 in Isamu colors there are VF-19S still available out there at quite reasonable prices.. click link below..

https://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7008-vf-19s-emerald-force.html

Some would consider the VF-19F a little better looking variant than the 19S as it has a simpler head design and white highlights instead of yellow. Although I like both equally as much!

The VF-19 totally kills the older YF-19 in all areas. Some may have loose ankle joints but if you find one new unused then you shouldn't have much of a problem. I own a used 19S and the ankles are fine!

And pretty much everything else is better and more than makes up for it as they are better built, better engineered and have much better proportions. Definitely worth a look!

To be honest I was already looking at the VF19 as an alternative and was even starting to like the Fire Valk colors a bit more. And yeah the yellow on the 19S stands out a fair bit and I'm not sure how much I like it. But most of the more colorful paint schemes have been starting to grow on me more as time goes on. Maybe it's time to sit down and watch Macross 7 to really get into them.

To be honest I was already looking at the VF19 as an alternative and was even starting to like the Fire Valk colors a bit more. And yeah the yellow on the 19S stands out a fair bit and I'm not sure how much I like it. But most of the more colorful paint schemes have been starting to grow on me more as time goes on. Maybe it's time to sit down and watch Macross 7 to really get into them.

hehe!! maybe just google the pics of the Valks instead of watching M7.. was pretty terrible! LOL! :p:lol: who knows watching the series might even put you off! But be warned its long and the singing becomes quite intense and intolerable!

Originally I thought the Fire Valkyrie was a little too RED!!! but the more I looked at it the more I liked it! It was the last VF-19 i picked up but im so glad I did as its a great piece! The loud color makes it very unique!

Edited by spanner76

hehe!! maybe just google the pics of the Valks instead of watching M7.. was pretty terrible! LOL! :p:lol: who knows watching the series might even put you off! But be warned its long and the singing becomes quite intense and intolerable!

Watching Macross 7 can be detrimental to your health. Side effects can include but are not limited to:

• Bleeding ears,
  • Involuntary twitching and eye rolling... sometimes severe,
  • Temporary drop in IQ,
  • Mental atrophy due to Excessive Repetitive Syndrome,
  • Facial redness from repeated face-palming from the blatant absurdity before your eyes,
  • Fits of rage at one particular character,
  • Testicular shrinkage.

:ph34r::p:lol:

Watching Macross 7 can be detrimental to your health. Side effects can include but are not limited to:

• Bleeding ears,
  • Temporary drop in IQ,
  • Facial redness from repeated face-palming from the blatant absurdity before your eyes,
  • Testicular shrinkage.

post-21335-0-45064900-1419748644.jpg

this is just too funny! and outrageously accurate! :p:D:lol:

• Bleeding ears,
  • Temporary drop in IQ,
  • Testicular shrinkage.

ku-xlarge-12_zps228c7889.gif

Originally I thought the Fire Valkyrie was a little too RED!!! but the more I looked at it the more I liked it! It was the last VF-19 i picked up but im so glad I did as its a great piece! The loud color makes it very unique!

Same for me too! I was very appalled by the fire valk until I actually got it(as an excuse to get the cool looking sound booster). Needless to say I love it so much, even more than my 19P and Arcadia YF-19. The battroid mode has so much character with its radical colours and head. It really felt that Yamato perfected the 19 mold just for this valk. I thought that the Sound Booster I bought would make it look better, but I actually prefer it without that unless it is in fighter mode.

Cant say the same for the show though hahaha

Edited by close313

I would have liked to get the re-issue Kai bundle as the gold highlights do look a little more fancy than the yellow but I still love the one I have and I don't care for that silly looking sound booster..

I have to say my fav of the 19 lot is still the VF-19P.. the white color and head design really do it for me! But I don't use those silly shoulder speaker winglet things..

I'm gonna be the guy that says that he likes his old Yamato YF-19 (an Isamu and a Dubblenuts) just fine. If anything they serve a nice little history of past Yamato engineering on the YF-19. I have two of the new Arcadia YF-19s and like them MUCH better though as they are my current favorite incarnations. Doesn't mean I'm getting rid of the old ones. Once I have the new Bandais, I'm gonna pretty much have all the modern toys of the YF-19 (technically Bandais is a VF-19 Isamu Advanced Custom). B))

Edited by xrentonx

• 3 weeks later...

I also still have my old Yamato YF-19's (Isamu & Double nuts) although I have 2 of the Arcadia ones. I think I am fond of the my old Yamato one's because the Isamu was the first Yammy I ever got (I bought the 21 at the same time). It was the start of my 1/60 collection.

Ended up purchasing the Yamato through a member on the forums, should be shipping next week so I'm pretty damn excited. After reading many reviews (almost a torturing form of window shopping at this point) I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Ended up purchasing the Yamato through a member on the forums, should be shipping next week so I'm pretty damn excited. After reading many reviews (almost a torturing form of window shopping at this point) I don't think I'll be disappointed.

You won't be man! I'll be sending that off early next week so prepare yourself for some YF-19 love!

Now I want to see a YF-19 fold in Battroid. Do you keep it displayed with the pickle like that?

I have to admit that as soon as I received the Arcadia YF-19...I boxed up the old and "obsolete" Yamato version...but yeah, I liked it in Battroid mode so I had the fold booster hanging off its back when I had it on display.....too bad the arm cannon doesn't fit on the new Arcadia YF-19... ;)

Two main issues with first run as other people mentioned, is the rear landing gear not able to bend outwards but can be fixed by opening it and cutting a certain part, and the gundpod not facing straight when attached to the arm during fighter mode. I bought replacement arms to fix this. I have the 25th anniversary yf-19 and have an issues where the rear tail fin not being able to be push down in place during fighter mode.

I'm glad I jumped on the last run of those old Yamatos. I heard about those issues on the early runs (when I lurked MW a lot) so I waited a long time until they were somewhat fixed on the last runs of the mold.

Edited by xrentonx

Either way, I was referring to the design of the ones released by Yamato themselves. There's a nostalgia aspect to it too, I remember looking at that release online when I was quite a bit younger and never being able to buy it.

The only reason I'm parting with this final release, which replaced my earlier YF-19 from Yamato, is space. When you get to a certain point, you make tough decisions about what to keep and what to pass along. I'm a big fan of other series too and I'm sure most of us realise how dangerous that is to wallets and shelf space :(

try and get the arm cannon....makes it look better in battroid mode!

gallery_12176_633_4369.jpg

That looks really awesome! Where can i get one of those? I own both version of the Yamato release but i do not remember it being included in any of them...

I was curious about this as well. I found the arm cannon on shapeways but it only lists it being compatible with the Arcadia YF-19 and Yamato's variants of the VF-19 but the Yamato YF-19 is not listed. Is it compatible with the original releases as well?

as previously mentioned by others, the Yamato YF-19 are pretty shabby and best avoided.. even if you were to find one mint, sealed & never transformed they are still an odd looking floppy mess..

They do look fairly ok in fighter mode but Gerwalk and Battroid just get worse respectively.

unless you are specifically after a 19 in Isamu colors there are VF-19S still available out there at quite reasonable prices.. click link below..

https://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7008-vf-19s-emerald-force.html

Some would consider the VF-19F a little better looking variant than the 19S as it has a simpler head design and white highlights instead of yellow. Although I like both equally as much!

The VF-19 totally kills the older YF-19 in all areas. Some may have loose ankle joints but if you find one new unused then you shouldn't have much of a problem. I own a used 19S and the ankles are fine!

And pretty much everything else is better and more than makes up for it as they are better built, better engineered and have much better proportions. Definitely worth a look!

My 19S ankles are fine too, just recently transformed it from fighter to Gerwalk mode last month after it spent a year or two in fighter mode and on a stand, the ankles are still stiff like they day I got it. The problem with loose ankles occured with the other 19 models such as the the VF-19 Kai, F, and P, and later with the VF-17's. And now the Arcadia YF-19 has also inherited the loose ankle problem. I don't don't know why the 19S ankle is far superior to the others but they should look into that, so they can avoid future problems.

That looks really awesome! Where can i get one of those? I own both version of the Yamato release but i do not remember it being included in any of them...

I was curious about this as well. I found the arm cannon on shapeways but it only lists it being compatible with the Arcadia YF-19 and Yamato's variants of the VF-19 but the Yamato YF-19 is not listed. Is it compatible with the original releases as well?

I purchased mine from Maiden Japan...not sure if he has any left or can make new sets....here are the links....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39941&hl=%20arm%20%20cannon

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40038

Kurisama makes one also, but it is fitted for the most recent Yamato/Arcadia YF/VF-19's...

I purchased mine from Maiden Japan...not sure if he has any left or can make new sets....here are the links....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39941&hl=%20arm%20%20cannon

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40038

Kurisama makes one also, but it is fitted for the most recent Yamato/Arcadia YF/VF-19's...

Thank you so much! I will check that out! I am not a big fan of my yamato in battroid mode(although i still love it in fighter mode) and i really think that arm cannon is a little detail that could improve the toy a lot!

Edited by Ryoma