Into Darkness falls on its face pretty quickly when you stop to think about it, but a lot of people felt entertained and never bothered to stop and think about it. Other ST films drag giving folks time to stop and think about how bad they are while watching which is why Into Darkness scores higher.

I wouldn't say any other Star Trek besides The Motion Picture drags but you're right that JJ gets by making movies that go so breakneck fast they gloss over the issues (which I still maintain Episode VII does as well.)

It's has some serious plot issues thanks to Lindelof, but as far as acting and directing go, it's a fine movie.

Well summarized. Some plot holes large enough to drive a coach-and-four through, but the acting pretty much makes up for it.

And the Vengeance. What a great design, great idea, and the ripping sound it made at warp chasing the Enterprise was so ominous.

Pretty much. Into Darkness was a well-produced version of a terrible script. A house with a bad foundation.

I don't understand how studios keep letting Lindelof work on their movies. Everything he's written has gotten hammered over script issues.

Let's not forget it was also co written by Roberto "conspiracy nut" Orci.

I picture the planning meeting for the plot going something like this...

J.J.- I'm thinking about remaking Wrath of Khan any ideas?

Lindelof- Well I do have this kind of vague idea, but I'm not sure where it leads to...

Orci- 9/11.

J.J.- Huh?

Orci- 9/11!

J.J.- Okay...

Orci-(screaming) 9/11! 9/11! 9/11!!!!

J.J.- Yeah...Alrighty I'm out, I'll be back in three weeks to shoot what you guys come up with.(walks out slamming the door behind him)

Orci- NINE! ELEVEN!

Lindelof- A conspiracy that is vague and leads nowhere...with Khan.... PERFECT!!!

Orci-(starts repeatedly slamming his head on the table while mumbling 9/11)

Three weeks later...

J.J.-The hell is this garbage? Well at least I got Star Wars comming up... cha-ching!

Into darkness is one of 3 trek films I ignore entirely, but nothing tops it more than nemesis, HATED that movie a lot and then final frontier for a poor story and washed out acting.

Seeing beyond so far I can say it looks odd, but do kind of like the retro look yet don't understand the downgrading look of the uniforms, that was odd.

Into Darkness would have been much better had Cumberbatch's character just been another enhanced human from Khan's crew. Then we get to the end of the movie where we see them all of that crew in stasis, and as they pan over them we see one that says "Khan." I'm not even a Trek guy and I think that would have been awesome. The alternate timeline has our heroes dodging an even bigger bullet than they faced.

Into Darkness would have been much better had Cumberbatch's character just been another enhanced human from Khan's crew. Then we get to the end of the movie where we see them all of that crew in stasis, and as they pan over them we see one that says "Khan." I'm not even a Trek guy and I think that would have been awesome. The alternate timeline has our heroes dodging an even bigger bullet than they faced.

Fully agree...or even use Ricardo Montoban's likeness in stasis. Making Cumberbatch just an enhanced human wanting to save his "father" figure of Kahn would've bookended the Kirk story with Pike quite nicely too. Then all we would've needed to fix would be the cross-Galaxy beaming and travel times and the movie wouldn't be half bad IMO.

Chris

Fully agree...or even use Ricardo Montoban's likeness in stasis. Making Cumberbatch just an enhanced human wanting to save his "father" figure of Kahn would've bookended the Kirk story with Pike quite nicely too. Then all we would've needed to fix would be the cross-Galaxy beaming and travel times and the movie wouldn't be half bad IMO.

Chris

That would of been good even if his character claimed to be khan out of being an ego maniac, they did exist in his crew.

Did anyone read IDWs post into darkness story on why his appearance changed? Was kind of cleverly done.

Chris

Wow, I'm a big time trek fan and I wholeheartedly approve of this idea. Would have turned out much better.

I like this idea a lot, it still wouldn't have fixed the transwarp bazooka non-sense or the fact not-Khan had the dexterity and strength of Spider-Man and they made him pretty much invent all of Starfleet technology after the events of the first film, and super-blood. But that plot beat would have been great.

Was JJ to blame for Prometheus as well? Or do you guys just have such a hard on for him that you can't see straight?

I have the exact same problems with Episode VII that I have with Into Darkness, I feel like Trek and Wars were both damaged by those films and JJ is the common thread there. I hope Lin and Johnson both help to correct that.

Though Lindeloff is terrible, I also blame Ridley Scott. Promethus was his movie and he should have been able to veto anything that was bad but he didn't, JJ as well for Trek and Wars.

Edited by Mommar

Prometheus, I suspect, saw a lot of studio meddling. It would not be the first time Fox completely crapped up an Alien movie by handing to a committee much of the authority that ought be vested in the director.

Prometheus, I suspect, saw a lot of studio meddling. It would not be the first time Fox completely crapped up an Alien movie by handing to a committee much of the authority that ought be vested in the director.

Ridley can be brilliant, but he doesn't always make the best choices. I'm pretty sure Prometheus is on him. Or, more directly, going with the Lindelof script is on him. For all intents and purposes he's running the Alien show right now.

Well, the thing that stuck with me most was he was adamant that it was an original movie and not an Alien tie-in. And then when it came out it was not just a blatant Alien tie-in, but the MOST blatant Alien tie-in possible.

My understanding is that Ridley Scott is not, generally, a bald-faced liar. That more than anything is what makes me think the studio deserves blame.

Well, the thing that stuck with me most was he was adamant that it was an original movie and not an Alien tie-in. And then when it came out it was not just a blatant Alien tie-in, but the MOST blatant Alien tie-in possible.

My understanding is that Ridley Scott is not, generally, a bald-faced liar. That more than anything is what makes me think the studio deserves blame.

Except he's producing all of the Alien movies. They all fall under Scott Free Productions. As to Prometheus, it started out being an Alien prequel, became something related but different, and is now back to being a prequel. I think it's just how things played out.

• 3 weeks later...

just read this too....that's HORRIBLE! first movie I ever saw him in was Terminator Salvation, I thought he made an excellent younger Kyle Reese, his raspy voice just fit so well with Beihn's that I had hoped that future war stuff would include him. God that just sucks so much.