Much better trailer, actually makes me feel better about the movie. Of course that this came out right before Paramount dropped their Axanar suit is no coincidence. Paramount was running scared that the fan movie would be better than theirs. Will be interesting to see exactly what the deal they made with them is.

I find that unlikely

That was a much better trailer. I just hope that was not Earth being attacked....again......and it was a Federation colony or something instead.

Chris

I now believe it is a Colony/Starbase that is being attacked and not Earth, thank God.

I actually really like the concept of the base too. Ships enter/depart through that Airlock apparatus that is seen early in the trailer. Inside the main globe, there is atmosphere and essentially a city that like any other base or ship would use artificial gravity, but ships "docked" inside the bubble, off the surface, would still be Zero-g and could be worked on without space-suits ect. Pretty neat. Wink

Chris

I'm more curious about that NX class ship we see a few brief glimpses of in the new trailer.

Here is the Franklin if you are interested.

I'm surprised this wasn't posted here already....it came out months ago.

Chris

;)

Interesting depiction of the warp bubble functioning.

Yup. Highlight of the trailer for me. If nothing else it shows how warp drive is fairly "inherently different" than most "jump" type of FTL travel shown in Sci-Fi. Amazing how it seems to follow the TNG technical manual's explanation, more than any pre-JJ-trek stuff ever did.

Yup. Highlight of the trailer for me. If nothing else it shows how warp drive is fairly "inherently different" than most "jump" type of FTL travel shown in Sci-Fi. Amazing how it seems to follow the TNG technical manual's explanation, more than any pre-JJ-trek stuff ever did.

I'm not sure it "follows" anymore than it actually displays exactly what that would look like from another perspective.

The Axanar team sent out an official update to backers about the legal business with CBS/Paramount. Since it was mentioned in this thread, I thought I would post an excerpt from the update here:

1. Even though we're really excited by what JJ Abrams and Justin Lin shared at last night's Star Trek Beyond event, the lawyers need to do their work (on both sides) before the lawsuit is officially resolved. This means we need to make sure we still meet all of the required filing deadlines for responses, etc. which we will (this takes a great deal of Alec and Winston & Strawn's time).
  2. CBS also tweeted that they are working on guidelines for all fan films - we're anxious to see what those guidelines say and make sure we have a clear idea of what needs to be done to meet those expectations.
  3. Once those two things are done, we have to get our team together to assess our current situation, determine what can be made (e.g. can we go with a current version of the script or do we need to change it), and take an inventory of what resources we have in-place to get it done.

I was thinking that this business would lead to stricter rules for fan films, and it looks like that is the case. It would be silly to think that CBS/Paramount would go on ignoring the inherent value of the Star Trek IP. Yeah, no real conspiracy theories, but there is a lot of legal work to tie up and get things moving forward again. Mostly, I see it slowing down future fan efforts as the rules are set in stone.

I actually like that scene

No argument here. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek post.

I think the most flawed piece from Star Trek V was Sybok's character. I don't necessarily take issue with the fact the he was a renegade Vulcan who did not reject emotion like the rest of the members of his society, but making him into a religious extremist seemed way off. I think they could have done something different while preserving the core conflict between him and Spock.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on an off-topic tangent.

Star Trek V is bad, it isn't as bad as people say it is. And that scene is actually a really good example of the examination of the human condition I've always argued Star Trek was best at. This new trailer has moments of that, that bit of discussion between Kirk and Bone's motivation. It's from the perspective of a younger person who isn't self-assured but it's still the right kind of angle for Star Trek. Simon Pegg clearly knows this and some of the other visuals (I really like the idea of showing how the warp bubble functions) thanks to Justin Lin means I'll give it a shot.

No argument here. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek post.

I think the most flawed piece from Star Trek V was Sybok's character. I don't necessarily take issue with the fact the he was a renegade Vulcan who did not reject emotion like the rest of the members of his society, but making him into a religious extremist seemed way off. I think they could have done something different while preserving the core conflict between him and Spock.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on an off-topic tangent.

All it would take would have been for Sybock to embrace emotions - where Spock struggled most of his life not to do so.

I don't know what those numbers are about but Tangled is right, Into Darkness is an utter mess. V is the worst of the Original cast films bit it's far from the worst Star Trek movie overall, Into Darkness is the clear winner followed by Nemesis

I don't know what those numbers are about but Tangled is right, Into Darkness is an utter mess. V is the worst of the Original cast films bit it's far from the worst Star Trek movie overall, Into Darkness is the clear winner followed by Nemesis

That makes more sense to me too, especially since Nemesis and Into Darkness are both aping Wrath of Khan. IMO, they needed to wait a little longer than 10.5 years before writing another Wrath of Khan imitation (even with JJ's hand-waving) after the reboot.

Into Darkness falls on its face pretty quickly when you stop to think about it, but a lot of people felt entertained and never bothered to stop and think about it. Other ST films drag giving folks time to stop and think about how bad they are while watching which is why Into Darkness scores higher.