Saw in on Sunday, and it was great, I liked the first two, although the second really has its problems.But this held together all the way through. It didn't feel like it dragged to me, and in fact kept my interest throughout. Keep it up!

Finally got out to the movies this weekend and saw this film with my daughter and we both really enjoyed it. The main plot feels like an episode of the show with the effects and action and fun of a movie. I think an entire film could be made with that space station being the main location for an action adventure film without ever leaving tha location.

The second movie being not very good had to hurt. I wonder if the return of Star Wars, though not in theaters at the same time, is crowding out Star Trek a bit also. Like, the DC super hero movies might have done a lot better if it weren't for Marvel already being the crowd favorite.

I think it was a case of bad timing. They opened on the weekend of comicon so people were on a budget, even the ones who didn't go were saving for exclusive items sold by third parties. There were a few cg kids films still in theatres and the next weekend had a new Bourne film I forgot was happening and this weekend was suicide squad. Maybe an off month would have been better, it worked for Deadpool.

I never get the whole we must show blockbusters only in the summer or at Christmas thing.

I'll go to see a movie or take my kid to see a movie anytime of the year if it's a good movie that I want to see.

Graham

Ditto

You two may but most do not. Studios have noted this trend and respond to it.

This is not to say that things do not change - the recent August hits of Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy have opened up the late summer as a contender time frame now. I also remember when Christmas was strictly for holiday movies and Halloween was for horror films and now horror films and big pictures are released at Christmas as well. All of this has to do with work and school schedules and network TV show schedules that are becoming less and less relevant year by year.

Or to cut to the chase - someday soon blockbusters may very well end up being released year round.

I think the trend has changed at least for deadpool being released in February and being successful. Summer movie season over recent years has been starting in spring around April. It used to be around June and every couple of years it gets earlier.

I think the trend has changed at least for deadpool being released in February and being successful. Summer movie season over recent years has been starting in spring around April. It used to be around June and every couple of years it gets earlier.

it also helped that marketing was significant for DP. I think the world knew when I was scratching my nuts (and how often) more than STB was coming out...

100% agree that Star Trek Into Darkness nearly (or possibly did) kill this iteration of Star Trek. I know it lessened or eliminated my and other fans I know enthusiasm for Star Trek Beyond. Star Trek built up a huge amount of goodwill with fans and average movie goers, but Into Darkness essentially pissed it all away.

And it's a shame because Beyond was a GOOD movie, Star Trek, or otherwise. I really hope that there is another and it continues the positive trend, it'd be a shame to kill this 3 movies in.

-b.

I attribute the low box office to a couple of factors:

1: Into Darkness was such a mess that it turned away a lot of fans, casual and hardcore.

2: CBS/Paramount lost a ton of goodwill with fans with the Axanar lawsuit.

3: Bad marketing. The first trailer was horrid and scared many people off, the second one helped, as did Simon Pegg's personal campaign, but still.

4: Anton's death. Believe it or not I know people who refused to see the movie because of how soon his death was in relation to the release.

5: Market saturation. There have been so many big blockbusters this year already that people are kind of burnt out.

Ultimately, Trek 4 is in danger of not happening. This movie may see a comeback in home video sales, which if Trek 4's only chance. In truth though Trek belongs on the small screen. This movie would have made a phenomenal 2 part trek episode, which honestly is what it felt like. The early feelings on ST:D though have a lot of fans nervous, so that show will have to hit it out of the park. That fact that CBS is making it the flagship of their own streaming service isn't helping.

CBS/Paramount need to get back into the fans' good graces, and if ST:D doesn't do it then we will see a lapse in Trek for years to come. Which might be what it needs. Trek took a rest for over a decade between TOS and TMP and came back strong.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I haven't seen this movie yet, but it's been out long enough to discuss without spoiler tags? Any thoughts on the ships in the film?

Haven't seen any pics posted here, but they are out there.

Edited by peter

I think most important (but little seen) is the Refit:

13987237_10154425801172265_1097095035_o_

The design is on the right path, IMO.

A matter of distinction. That is not the Refit, that is basically what the A looks like. The Refit is what got destroyed by the swarm at the beginning of he movie as seen in the trailers. The Refit is basically the standard JJ-prise with swept backe Nacelle pylons smaller but identical looking warp Nacelle's, offset and addition phaser banks on the saucer, and the new impulse engines as seen at the end of Into Darkness (which would technically also be a refit as well) In the new movies the Refit and A are now totally different designs instead of being interchangeable terms as they were in the prime universe movies. ;) so in the new inverse we have seen 4 different versions of the Enterprise:

1)The standard JJ-Prise as seen in Star Trek '09 and the majority of ID

2)The first minor Refit with the new Impulse engines as seen at the end of ID

3)The major refit as seen in the beginning of ST Beyond (described above)

4)The new Enterprise A seen at the end of Beyond.

Chris

ent-a.jpg

I don't really like the protruding dish. One of the things I really liked about the Prime refit was integrated blue dish recessed into the hull. I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but I already knew I liked it better than the protruding gold dish from TOS.

I understand that this new Kelvin-timeline is just an alternate time-line, but I'm sorta sad that the Prime-timeline Refit will likely never be revisited on the big screen or small screen again.

Edited by peter

For clarification:

The E on the poster Peter posted is the Refit of ST:Beyond (#3 on Chris' list), the four illustrations above are the concept designs for the ST:B's Refit of the Refit (#4 on Chris' list), and the illustration I posted is approximately how the concept design was tweaked into the A we get at the end of Beyond.