Just got back from seeing it. I LOVED IT! Great movie, I'm definitely going to see it again. I know a lot of people hate the Nu Enterprise, but I found a fondness for it after I built a model of it, but it was painful watching her get shredded the way she was.....Being picked apart piece by piece. It was painful to watch for me. :(

Chris

Just got back from seeing it. I LOVED IT! Great movie, I'm definitely going to see it again. I know a lot of people hate the Nu Enterprise, but I found a fondness for it after I built a model of it, but it was painful watching her get shredded the way she was.....Being picked apart piece by piece. It was painful to watch for me. :(

Chris

Did they destroy it completely? You can tell me...

Yes, she is thoroughly dead and gone.

Chris

The hell?! Why?! Did they replace the ship with another one, at least?

The hell?! Why?! Did they replace the ship with another one, at least?

Yes, the Enterprise A is seen at the end of the movie. The A does look a little different from the 1701 seen in the beginning of this movie and the previous movies too. It's pretty quick, though, so it's hard to tell all the differences. The Nacells are smaller and now further apart from each other and the secondary hull looks a little beefier. Also, I think I remember the dorsal neck sitting more forward on the secondary hull too. The Nacell pylons are also really bulky looking and where the main thing I didn't like from my quick glimps of the ship. The saucer looks like it may have had some minor tweaks too. Lastly the color of the ship looks more Grayish. So now in the 3 movies there have been 4 different versions of the Enterprise shown:

1)The 2009 version

2) the Into Darkness minor Refit (new impulse engines and deck

3) the Beyond Refit that has extra phaser banks new swept back Warp Pylons with slightly smaller Nacells. The Popular Mechanics cut-away was this version

4) the new Enterprise A

Looking forward to seeing it again ;)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Here is a poor quality .gif of the ship MYK and I are talking about. Spoiler if you haven't the movie or read what he and I are talking about.

http://m.imgur.com/M3fIjzq?r

Thanks. The main hull definitely does not stick out as much. It looks roughly where it all was on the original refit/A Enyerprise. Nacelles are still thick but smaller and more uniform, pylons to the nacelles have been redesigned and is sort of a combination of straight and swooped back. The pylons are also a lot further apart, more like the original series was. And the nech is thicker and meets with the wngineering hull in a manner more reminiscent of the Ent-D. It's still not as good looking as the original series Ent-A but it's a much better design than the original JJ-prise was. Edited by Mommar

I uh....think I like the ship...thanks for the legwork, Chris....

Edited by myk

Just saw the movie and wasn't impressed. At. All. It felt like a drawn-out T.V. episode with slightly better effects. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two films, watched them multiple times in the theatre and at home, but I was constantly staring at my watch for this one, waiting for it to end. Also too many dark + confusing scenes.

I rather like the new ship, it's what would result if you threw models of the original Enterprise refit and the Enterprise-D into a closet and closed the door for a while.

The movie was enjoyable, far better than Into Darkness with no giant gaping plot holes. The only issues I had with it were minor and nothing that could really ruin the film. The extra screentime for McCoy and Scotty were quite welcome (as they have the two best actors portraying them) and the humor was great. I laughed more at the jokes in this one, in and otherwise, then I did at the Ghostbusters reboot. There were also plenty of nods to Macross in the movie, I counted at least four:

1: The new uniforms looked to take cues from DYRL

2: The attack used to disrupt the swarm was very reminiscent of the original "Minmay Attack" disrupting communications and tactical links.

3: The starbase's design, a giant sphere, with an artificial sky that still let you see ships outside looked straight out of Mac 7/Frontier/Delta
4: The way kirk was rescued from his fall by someone reaching out of of a fighter scale craft just screamed Macrosss

I'm sure there may have been more but those four jumped out at me.

Saw it tonight with my Daughter & one of her BFFs. Though my feelings toward Paramount are a bit cool (at the moment because of their anti-fan film tactics), the movie was indeed impressive. You could really feel the horror as Scotty realizes that the Nacelles were cut off...

I was okay with it until the end, but there were things that kind of picked at me since they had to use the Enterprise TV series mythology as well and they kind of bunked it a bit there.....I thought Simon Pegg said he was a true trekkie so how did he screw up some of the technical bits? Hm.

But yeah, thought it was way to early to introduce the next variation. Fine with the design and all, but no. Just ..........I guess my inner original star trek was just screaming so much and throwing a tantrum to enjoy it in the end.

I really liked it! Which for me was unexpected.

Did anyone get a macross vibe when the yorktown was under attack? I immediately thought of the macross and/or the massive colony ships. Isn't justin Lin attached to live action robotech? Hmm.. maybe some hope.

post-237-0-54732200-1469352910_thumb.jpg

Not as good as the 2009 film, but significantly better than Into Darkness. Justin Lin shows that he's more than just an action film director, as Beyond hits the right notes without missing a beat. Great performances by the Enterprise crew, as usual. Idris Elba is also remarkable as the villain Krall. And Sofia Boutella uses the martial arts skills she learned for Kingsman: The Secret Service and delivers a standout performance as Jaylah. The film also pays its respect to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin. Because of Yelchin's untimely demise, J. J. Abrams has decided not to recast the role of Chekov - which brings the question of who will replace him in the next installment.

As far as ranking, here's my list:

1. Star Trek (2009)

2. Star Trek Beyond (2016)

3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

5. Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

7. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

10. Star Trek: Generations (1994)

11. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

12. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Thought it was excellent, definitely one of my all time favorite Trek films. I picked up on the DYRL-ish uniforms but I haven't watched enough of the other Macross series (especially 7) to pick up on other queues.

My only nitpicks are that I thought Lin brought too much of the impossible to survive situations from Fast & Furious to this, and I felt that Elba was wasted*, but those are minor nitpicks at best for me.

This was fun, well acted, no gigantic plot holes, had nice nods to what came before and left me wanting way more Trek with this crew - something Into Darkness didn't do at all.

*would have loved to see more of Edison and crew's back-story, that would have given Elba much more room to stretch his acting muscle and give the enemies more of a backstory

Ranking of Star Trek films just for kicks and giggles;

1. Star Trek (2009)

2 (or 1a) Star Trek Beyond (2016)

3. (or 1b) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

5. Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

8. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
9. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

10. Star Trek: Generations (1994)

11. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

12. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

-b.

Not sure about my overall rating for the film series but Beyond is now definitely in my top 3. I'm glad that, for the most part, the film seems to be doing well with fans and critics. Hope it did well this weekend.

Chris

and I felt that Elba was wasted*, but those are minor nitpicks at best for me.[/font]

*would have loved to see more of Edison and crew's back-story, that would have given Elba much more room to stretch his acting muscle and give the enemies more of a backstory

Very much agree, ESPECIALLY with the spoilered part. If Elba had a bit more "meat to work with" (and less makeup to deal with) we could have gotten one of the all-time great Trek villians I feel.

Very much agree, ESPECIALLY with the spoilered part. If Elba had a bit more "meat to work with" (and less makeup to deal with) we could have gotten one of the all-time great Trek villians I feel.

Yep!

As it stands I think the single most compelling Trek movie villain is Khan - from both films. At least Cumberbatch got an opportunity to actually act.

Opinion of course.

-b.

The movie was enjoyable, far better than Into Darkness with no giant gaping plot holes. The only issues I had with it were minor and nothing that could really ruin the film. The extra screentime for McCoy and Scotty were quite welcome (as they have the two best actors portraying them) and the humor was great. I laughed more at the jokes in this one, in and otherwise, then I did at the Ghostbusters reboot. There were also plenty of nods to Macross in the movie, I counted at least four:

1: The new uniforms looked to take cues from DYRL

2: The attack used to disrupt the swarm was very reminiscent of the original "Minmay Attack" disrupting communications and tactical links.

3: The starbase's design, a giant sphere, with an artificial sky that still let you see ships outside looked straight out of Mac 7/Frontier/Delta

4: The way kirk was rescued from his fall by someone reaching out of of a fighter scale craft just screamed Macrosss

I'm sure there may have been more but those four jumped out at me.

The uniforms definitely reminded me of Macross, with those stripes at the shoulder area.

Yes, the starbase looked like a colony. Although for me, it felt more Gundam-space-colony than Macross-type colony city.

The enemy drones/ships? Sure moved like Vajra to me (though more like Ender's formics, to be honest)

But the final counter-attack?? Definitely screamed out Macross to me! Especially when they sent "the song" to the colony for the latter to play it as well? might as well have placed Minmei/Sharon/Walkyrie in the town center!

Too bad they weren't able to shoehorn a love triangle in there somewhere. Unless you count Kirk-Spock-Bones. ha!

Was the actress who played the commander of Yorktown the same one who played Dr Bashir (SP?) mother on DS9?

I can't remember, but she does play Chrisjen Avasarala in The Expanse. Excellent show and book series, btw, if you haven't watched or read it.

Chris