DX Chogokin YF-29B Percival

IXTL

no, someone thought it was about the 27 and you clarified it was about the 29

then you took it a step further.

and repeating what you don't understand.

"i don't understand why some people think the 29 is blah blah based on a review that mentions the word prototype."

lol, people have other opinions other then yours. but if you want to keep repeating you don't understand some people think the 29 is not as good as the 25 renewal. i'll keep laughing as well.

I think that's the problem. You think your opinion is being attacked. I think this need not be a matter of opinion. We can pick the toys up and look at the actual mechanisms. If there are differences that show subtle improvements then your assertion is correct. If the mechanisms are all the same then your assertion is incorrect. If you say "Hey, i think the VF-25 is way cooler" then there's an opinion and you're welcome to it. I would agree that the YF-29 is a more complicated bird which can make it less user friendly than the VF-25 so some people will definitely prefer the VF-25. I would disagree with the assertion that the YF-29 is not of the same level as the VF-25 simply because it's was released first and featured the same mechanisms leading a reviewer to call it a 'prototype'. I think that's a silly assertion. Your opinion is not under attack. If you like the VF-25 WAY more that's cool.

Edited by jenius

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think that's the problem. You think your opinion is being attacked. I think this need not be a matter of opinion. We can pick the toys up and look at the actual mechanisms. If there are differences that show subtle improvements then your assertion is correct. If the mechanisms are all the same then your assertion is incorrect. If you say "Hey, i think the VF-25 is way cooler" then there's an opinion and you're welcome to it. I would agree that the YF-29 is a more complicated bird which can make it less user friendly than the VF-25 so some people will definitely prefer the VF-25. I would disagree with the assertion that the YF-29 is not of the same level as the VF-25 simply because it's was released first and featured the same mechanisms leading a reviewer to call it a 'prototype'. I think that's a silly assertion. Your opinion is not under attack. If you like the VF-25 WAY more that's cool.

ok man, just drop it. it's pretty clear you will go on and on. which was why i shouldn't have bothered to respond, i was posting to help someone else out initially. you got in the last word 3 days ago. though no one responded, reading you bringing it up again this morning made me laugh.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think he's clarifying his point. Not the same thing as "bringing it up again" in my opinion.

i guess, you like annoying personalities.

look, let's not go down this road ok? if you want to give your opinion to an off topic convo you're free to, just don't expect it to magically steer back on topic. it's not smart.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I had no such expectations (magic isn't my thing). But injecting a bit of perspective into a conversation that looks like it's being misunderstood, in my opinion, is often a goal worth pursuing. I like to remain objective, whenever possible.

But back on topic.

In my opinion, having both the YF-29 and the VF-25 renewals on hand, and having disassembled and customised both, the YF-29 is on the same level as the VF-25. The engineering is the same. The panel lines and details are at the same level. The transformation is about the same, with the exception of the shoulders, which could be due to the missile gimmick or because the CGI model has it set up this way as well. I don't know but I don't look at them and think the YF-29 is not at the same level as the VF-25 renewals.

I say all that becuase for anyone who's sitting on the fence about owning a YF-29 of any varient, because they think it's somehow put together more poorly or designed "less gooder" than the renewal 25 series, you need not worry. This Percival release should be just as good if not better. And if it's in the "just as good category" it'll still be a great toy, with the same well known qualities (and lacks thereof) as the Renewal 25 series.

Just my two cents.

I think I will stick to my rule of one of each of the 29 schemes on this one as well. I tend to buy multiples when I can build recognizable squadrons, but the 29's seems so random between the one actual scheme that was on the movie and the rest being from the game or an anniversary scheme. Not a big fan of the visor, but will most likely leave this in fighter mode any way.

I actually see the YF-29 as the precursor to the VF-25 Renewal's and feel it in the very same category as far as mechanisms and build quality. You just get more gimmicks on the 29.

Edited by Loop

Time for people to step away from keyboards and get a little fresh air up in here :)

I'm of the opinion that the 29s are almost the same in engineering quality as the 25s. Difference to me is very minuscule. It's the reason I'll buy repaints of the 29 all day every day. The minor-renewal 27 I gotta think twice if it's worth it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I had no such expectations (magic isn't my thing). But injecting a bit of perspective into a conversation that looks like it's being misunderstood, in my opinion, is often a goal worth pursuing. I like to remain objective, whenever possible.

But back on topic.

In my opinion, having both the YF-29 and the VF-25 renewals on hand, and having disassembled and customised both, the YF-29 is on the same level as the VF-25. The engineering is the same. The panel lines and details are at the same level. The transformation is about the same, with the exception of the shoulders, which could be due to the missile gimmick or because the CGI model has it set up this way as well. I don't know but I don't look at them and think the YF-29 is not at the same level as the VF-25 renewals.

I say all that becuase for anyone who's sitting on the fence about owning a YF-29 of any varient, because they think it's somehow put together more poorly or designed "less gooder" than the renewal 25 series, you need not worry. This Percival release should be just as good if not better. And if it's in the "just as good category" it'll still be a great toy, with the same well known qualities (and lacks thereof) as the Renewal 25 series.

Just my two cent.

well put. pretty much confirming what was already said and i respect your opinion even if i may think the 29 is a 1.8 vs. 2.0 and think the 29 is less but not really by much.

i own several 29s and 25s in multiple variations and do see the identical renewal designs that was adopted by the 25s. that's not what i was taking issue with.

don't like drama? do not open and move along:) you were warned.

i took exception to Jenius' comments...

someone asked how can you tell if it's a 1.5 and i tried to be helpful and answered.

i posted that some people may think that bc it was made between ver 1.0 and 2.0 of the vf-25 so i guess that's how some may have called it 1.5 (not definitive statement)

then Jenius comes in like an a$$ and saying stop that talk that the 29 is a 1.5 don't muddy the waters! like he's the authority on bandai valks. LOL

i just had to laugh at his demeanor. (sorry but that's all it is)

i never said anything but just quoted an article to Jenius with no comments in spoiler link.

once he starting making all these assertions to quote what i'm saying loud and proud. (which i found to be a version of a child taunting) i kept shaking my head. but didn't really say i actually disagreed with some of the data he said, but bc he was asserting that i was concluding that the 25 renewal part are inferior and i just didn't respond.

once he suggested several conclusions by my post, quoting the article. i didn't really respond bc i knew if i did it would go on forever seeing how he responds.

3 days later, i saw him repeated the same assertions this morning, i thought wow, this guy keeps whining and asserting things which i never even said so i decided to respond.

there's a personal nature involved and obviously that's not objective at all. i'm still laughing this morning but i don't think i disagree with anyone's posts nor have a claimed that the renewal revisions parts that are identical were inferior.

but the design is a step back in term or a protoype. i don't like the arms/shoulders. so i agreed with the 1.8 statement. but even if someone disagreed with me and says it's a full 2.0, who cares? i'm fine with that.

but i can't stand people putting words in my mouth and higher than thou attitude. i think it's childish and you'll see he won't drop it ever.

so yes, i think it's silly to go along and debate that the 29 and 25 have equal parts. bc i never even mentioned anything along that line, that was Jenius talking to himself.

last, i told you not to comment because it was not worth it. but since you did here it is. look, it's not worth butting in. and it's not really being objective even though you mean well.

the 29b is a great color and i'm definitely in for one but that's it.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think the yf-29 is one of the most solid valks i've ever owned. The transformation is fun and not frustrating. Locks together pretty good. The only knock is the Bandai joints gets loose issue. Never thought i'd love this valk as much as i do when i first saw that black out silhouette when it was first announced.

Edited by Sandman

I wonder if a master file be produce for 29 :p

I still dont undertand what differentiates percival from durandal (except for the head)

I would imagine they would make a second 25 book that covers more of the add-ons like the Tornado Packs, etc... and then have a whole section on the 29 as a follow on instead of a book totally based on the 29.

David, I think there's a misunderstanding about what the spoiler tag is intended for. If you want to have a private conversation you need to send a personal message. In this case there were multiple people who agreed with your assertion which is all the more reason why you should have never viewed my responses as a personal attack, which I assure you they were never meant to be. You keep egging me on saying that I'm an @ss, have an annoying personality, and that you're laughing at me; I'm just sayin' I think the 29 is pretty sweet and that many of the reasons it is so sweet are the same reasons the 25 is sweet. Please don't think others who agree with me are attacking you either, we just don't see a reason to believe the YF-29 is inferior to the VF-25 from an engineering standpoint, at least where the two share mechanics.

I think the yf-29 is one of the most solid valks i've ever owned. The transformation is fun and not frustrating. Locks together pretty good. The only knock is the Bandai joints gets loose issue. Never thought i'd love this valk as much as i do when i first saw that black out silhouette when it was first announced.

I would say there are two knocks. The first being the propensity for the joints to get loose, the second being the ability to scratch off that black paint in front of the cockpit.

Except in the case of the YF-29 Isamu variant, that black part is actually molded in black! If they can do that for the Percival, that'd be great. Then we'd just have the joints to worry about, but that's the case for all the Bandai Frontier line at the moment.

I would say there are two knocks. The first being the propensity for the joints to get loose, the second being the ability to scratch off that black paint in front of the cockpit.

Hoping to see a fightermode pic of this soon. I'm with a few others about what makes it different to the other YF-29 types and I can't remember where that was first discussed. Probably a Macross 30 thread?

Guest davidwhangchoi

ok, back on topic: another thing is the rotating jet engines on the wings are fragile. esp. throwing on the supers that seem to weigh, i wish the wings didn't rotate. Edited by David Hingtgen

Guest davidwhangchoi

Back on topic to this release of the -27 please, and not which DX valks are and aren't deserving of the term "renewal".

And no, this does not mean "one more last jab/proclamation from each member, THEN back on topic".

ahh too late. sorry bout that.

but you should've left that in.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I can't tell if the canopy color here is meant to be a golden color or olive.

Qnzowtn.png

Judging by this, it seems like we have a pretty good chance at not having to worry about paint scratching in front of the canopy... but we've seen Bandai do some pretty silly things in the past.

Edited by jenius

Guest davidwhangchoi

Judging by this, it seems like we have a pretty good chance at not having to worry about paint scratching in front of the canopy... but we've seen Bandai do some pretty silly things in the past.

well i hope the color is a bit more transparent than ozma's 29 and the 19 advance. i really like when i can see the pilot.

Judging by this, it seems like we have a pretty good chance at not having to worry about paint scratching in front of the canopy

Yeah, as long as they mold it in color then that piece should be safe

... but we've seen Bandai do some pretty silly things in the past.

... like molding a part in one color and then painting it entirely in another color (VF-25S) or molding it in the proper color, painting the whole entire piece in another color then trying to repaint the area that should have been the color of the plastic in a color that doesn't quite match (Ozma YF-29). I'm still scratching my head about that.

Anymoon called out the 27 as "a half step back" upon release when he reviewed it on YouTube. He has been consistent in his evaluation of the 27 reissue from the beginning. I'm on the opinion that the 29 is more advanced overall than the 25 but my 25G seems to have much tighter QC than my 29 Alto and my 29 Ozma has a wobbly leg below the right knee on both copies I have. Either way, I'm buying 2 of the 29B's and buying more 25's.

Straight to your face Arcadia.

Why? Are they making MF toys?

Looking at that screen shot versus the actual prototype I still keep feeling like the lighter of the two blue colors is too light or too vibrant or something.

True. I'd like to see that prototype in fighter mode for a more proper comparison.

Guys, its just a toy so lets not get too anal and picky on the details and improvements made, lets be grateful instead that bandai did make improvements and came up V2 for the VF-2X using YF-29 design as the base, giving us one of the most accurate valks produced with plenty of details.

Who agrees with me that the YF-29B Percival looks sweet with the YF-29 Durandal?

Edited by recon

Looking at that screen shot versus the actual prototype I still keep feeling like the lighter of the two blue colors is too light or too vibrant or something.

It could be a smidge' darker, yeah.

Who agrees with me that the YF-29B Percival looks sweet with the YF-29 Durandal?

Me!

Gonna look sweet with my 29s excluding Alto. Alto's Durandal goes in my "Eh corner." :lol:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Anymoon called out the 27 as "a half step back" upon release when he reviewed it on YouTube. He has been consistent in his evaluation of the 27 reissue from the beginning. I'm on the opinion that the 29 is more advanced overall than the 25 but my 25G seems to have much tighter QC than my 29 Alto and my 29 Ozma has a wobbly leg below the right knee on both copies I have. Either way, I'm buying 2 of the 29B's and buying more 25's.

Straight to your face Arcadia.

Why? Are they making MF toys?

This response is what i... :rolleyes: (but i went overboard yesterday, sorry guys)

It could be a smidge' darker, yeah.

Me!

Gonna look sweet with my 29s excluding Alto. Alto's Durandal goes in my "Eh corner." :lol:

my alto 29 was my first and fav, bandai valk. loved the bright color.

but this color scheme is looking to be the best so far.

wonder when the 29b supers will be released.

Edited by davidwhangchoi