Jump to content

Hi-Metal R


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, jenius said:

That's easy, just show her the review I did for the Monster... she'll totally get it after that.

 

No, wait, that's an awful idea.

Fantastic video btw, lol. I did watch it several times as i was salivating for that set of guns! YES, the Monster's guns!

23 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

It’s a great figure. I still want to pickup a second copy at some point; dat shipping tho lol

If i could, i'd get another copy as well. Totally worth it!

On 6/1/2020 at 9:38 AM, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Still love the Monster as much as day one when I got it!!!

IMG_4276.JPG

Yup, it took me a long time to get one, and thanks to @sh9000 I did!!! It is now the corner stone of my collection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Do Hi Metal Super Parts fit on a Hi Metal R?

Thanks!

I was able to get the parts from my Hi Metal Fokker 1S to go on the Mesmer Hi Metal R, so I didn't see any issue. I don't remember if I used the Fokker fighter mode connector for the stand or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since there's lots of Monster pictures getting posted, here's mine. I love that it's so close to scale with the other Hi-Metal R figures - it absolutely looms over them, as it should.

7pFf71E.jpg

The Monster was the one that got me off the fence and buying this line - I'd always wanted a shelf of all the classic Macross tv and DYRL figures, in-scale with each other. Once I'd seen that Bandai had done the Monster, and not only had done it but had done it *right*, I figured they'd follow through and do a complete line.

If they eventually get the Tomahawk and Phalanx (and maybe the Scout Battlepod) out, I'll finally have the display I've wanted since the late 80s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vladykins said:

I was able to get the parts from my Hi Metal Fokker 1S to go on the Mesmer Hi Metal R, so I didn't see any issue. I don't remember if I used the Fokker fighter mode connector for the stand or not.

 

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Supers are absolutely compatible. So are the shoulder gap fillers.

There are differences between the molds, however, so some things might not fit.

:hi:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

There should be at least 1 HMR Monster in every HMR collection.

At least! I wish I had more room. I'd like to have 2-3 more and a big battle diorama set up with HMR's.

I was looking at what I'm going to do about a forever house over the past couple of years. A custom build unfortunately is not in the cards. Even if I wanted to spend $1M+ I just can't justify that for a house. That's what a 3000sq ft custom home is going for around here. Now that I've gotten back into collecting my my criteria has changed a little. I've been looking at stuff with walk out basements (finished or not) so I can put in I'm guessing a 600-800sq ft office/toy room. That should leave some room for displays.:D Then maybe that massive HMR battle scene can happen. I'm going to need about 50 Brownies.:rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a handful of Hi-Metal Fast Pack/Super Part sets on Mandarake if anyone has been searching for them. Just follow the link! B))

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1127924537&ref=list&keyword=Macross&lang=en

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

There's a handful of Hi-Metal Fast Pack/Super Part sets on Mandarake if anyone has been searching for them. Just follow the link! B))

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1127924537&ref=list&keyword=Macross&lang=en

It would seem these are getting easier to find now. There was a time (during the first couple years of HMR) that they were pretty hard to come by, even for ¥8,000. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 5:00 PM, sh9000 said:

Huh??  Everything was bought fair and square and I stopped buying them a loooooong time ago.

 

On 6/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, jenius said:

Wasn't an insult.

:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kenny G said:

Is the HMR Konig the same size as the DX  version released several years ago?

Courtesy of Anymoon.com for size comparisons. B))

Bandai-HMR-Monster-11B.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kenny G said:

Whoa, now I am really mad at myself for passing it up for an excellent price (compared to current prices) on AJ. Guess it doesn't matter since I sold off all my HMR

You can still find some for a decent price off and on- and it is definitely worth buying even as a single piece without any other HMRs. It is such a solid toy that I love pulling it down and playing with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 3:09 AM, HardlyNever said:

I bought a couple of HMR CFs used.  One is fine, but one of them had been opened, and I got two non-hardpoint right wings, and no left wing with hard points.  Is it possible this is a Bandai error (has this happened to anyone else), or is this on the seller?  I know Bandai messed up with the DYRL Hikaru 1A leg armors, but I don't recall there being an issue with the CF release.

kSCk2Sf.jpg

Mine happened ages ago:

 

On 12/9/2015 at 4:10 AM, Bub said:

You can not attach missiles to this pair of wings. Check out the right wing, the one with the "001" marking. Now look at it closely; this is actually another physical left wing, see the break in the black stripe? It's near the part where you click-attach to the toy. I prefer using the "missile wings" even without missiles but still...

Anyone else having the same problem?

post-458-0-04447200-1449605285_thumb.jpg

 

On 12/9/2015 at 6:52 AM, Bub said:

Here are some more pix:

 

Both pictures are showing one and the same wing. When attached to the right side, it does not spread all the way out.

 

@ Saburo - Thanks, please let me know your findings.

To everyone, please look at my original post at the previous page... So. Anyone else having the same problem?

post-458-0-49810600-1449614884_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-49353700-1449614903_thumb.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bub said:

Mine happened ages ago:

Yeah, there it looks like they painted the wrong side of the wing.  Or more specifically, put "top right" markings on the bottom side of a left wing (and put "bottom right" paint on the top).

I just ended up with an extra non-hardpoint right wing, and no hardpoint left wing.

I guess it is just Bandai messing up.  I really wish they never even bothered with these non-hardpoint wings, since it just makes errors more likely.  And then there are the releases that don't have hardpoint wings at all, since they never had missiles in the animation.  But what if you just want to have missiles on there?

Seems like such an unnecessary and almost spiteful way to go about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Yeah, there it looks like they painted the wrong side of the wing.  Or more specifically, put "top right" markings on the bottom side of a left wing (and put "bottom right" paint on the top).

I just ended up with an extra non-hardpoint right wing, and no hardpoint left wing.

I guess it is just Bandai messing up.  I really wish they never even bothered with these non-hardpoint wings, since it just makes errors more likely.  And then there are the releases that don't have hardpoint wings at all, since they never had missiles in the animation.  But what if you just want to have missiles on there?

Seems like such an unnecessary and almost spiteful way to go about it.

Yeah, I've been fed up with their "animation only" approach to things for years.  Drives me nuts.  I'd love to mount missiles to my VF-1Ds, but NOPE.  :rolleyes:

I just resolved to make my own set out of some plastic tubing.  Easier than repainting spare wings into the VF-1D colors, anyhow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I usually read complaints about not being accurate to the source material. Since it is a no win situation for companies that make these things, maybe they should stop? 
Oh yeah, I forgot they still win because no matter how much people complain, they still pay money to get this stuff to complain about. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Interesting. I usually read complaints about not being accurate to the source material. Since it is a no win situation for companies that make these things, maybe they should stop? 
Oh yeah, I forgot they still win because no matter how much people complain, they still pay money to get this stuff to complain about. :D

There is something called nuance and circumstance.  Not every instance of "not anime accurate" is bad, and not every instance of anime accuracy is good.  Especially when it comes to something like SDFM, that contradicts itself often in the anime.

I'm generally not one complaining about things not being 100% accurate to the anime, anyhow.  But just using one mold that has hardpoints for the wings for everything, when those hardpoints are nearly impossible to see when not looking at the bottom, is way different than say, adding markings that are never seen in the anime.  

Only hardpoint wings would be cheaper for them to do, anyhow.  It would actually be a pretty easy win for Bandai.  Would a few people complain?  Maybe.  But that's the nature of the internet in general.  

And fundamentally, I'm complaining about their failure to deliver everything they are suppose to (in this case, wings with hardpoints).  If they did that correctly, I wouldn't have an issue.  But since a 100% QC-issue free product is impossible, they should do the thing that makes errors less likely, in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think non-hard point wings are silly. Yes, the hard points on HMR toys are a little uglier than on something like a DX toy, but they're not THAT ugly where they can't just be ignored. I do like the mini battroid wings though..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there seems to be an issue with Bandai QA scattered through out the VF productions.

When I purchased my first VF-1D is was missing the large wing with the Macross Kite. After many attempts to get the missing wing the retailer just refunded my money as said for me to keep the toy. It sill bugs me that I don’t have the missing wing. If anyone out there has one to sell it I would greatly appreciate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, jenius said:

I think non-hard point wings are silly. Yes, the hard points on HMR toys are a little uglier than on something like a DX toy, but they're not THAT ugly where they can't just be ignored. I do like the mini battroid wings though..

IMHO the mini wings are just a tad too small. I mean they shrink in the animation, but come on!

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have various spare VF-1 wings.

I can see the smaller Battroid wings, which I’ve never used, being good for poses but I’ve been able to do every pose I needed to with the standard Battroid wings.  

Edited by sh9000
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Interesting. I usually read complaints about not being accurate to the source material. Since it is a no win situation for companies that make these things, maybe they should stop? 
Oh yeah, I forgot they still win because no matter how much people complain, they still pay money to get this stuff to complain about. :D

I would file wings unable to carry missiles as "inaccurate to the source material" because VF-1s have hardpoints in the wings. This is not a thing that changes from scene to scene, because the VF-1 is a standardized design.  Missile load-outs change, the ability to mount them does not.  Honestly I would absolutely love to see the complaints they received that convinced them that people don't want hardpoints on all the wings in the first place.

Bandai just love interpreting how a scene is drawn as law, whether it makes any sense in reality or not.

Their logic is really just all over the map, and there's no accounting for it.  Deciding to give the 1/48 weapons shorter pylons than the HMR weapons?  Deciding that printing a numeric modex backwards is acceptable for aesthetic purposes?  Yeah, that's Bandai alright. :rolleyes: 

At the end of the day, yeah, it's all silly to get riled up about.  It's just irritating to see Bandai charge ahead full steam inventing things for people to complain about.  They manage to get things wrong that no one else would even bother to question, because the answer is so stupid obvious, it's taken as fact.

I'm waiting for them to issue a valk with square tires, and claim it was due to complaints about them rolling off of shelves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I would file wings unable to carry missiles as "inaccurate to the source material" because VF-1s have hardpoints in the wings. This is not a thing that changes from scene to scene, because the VF-1 is a standardized design.  Missile load-outs change, the ability to mount them does not.  Honestly I would absolutely love to see the complaints they received that convinced them that people don't want hardpoints on all the wings in the first place.

Bandai just love interpreting how a scene is drawn as law, whether it makes any sense in reality or not.

Their logic is really just all over the map, and there's no accounting for it.  Deciding to give the 1/48 weapons shorter pylons than the HMR weapons?  Deciding that printing a numeric modex backwards is acceptable for aesthetic purposes?  Yeah, that's Bandai alright. :rolleyes: 

At the end of the day, yeah, it's all silly to get riled up about.  It's just irritating to see Bandai charge ahead full steam inventing things for people to complain about.  They manage to get things wrong that no one else would even bother to question, because the answer is so stupid obvious, it's taken as fact.

I'm waiting for them to issue a valk with square tires, and claim it was due to complaints about them rolling off of shelves.

Lol, fair enough! I'll be first in line to order that super limited edition square tire valk!:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...