Jump to content
joppewo

Hi-Metal R

Recommended Posts

Paying around $200 for the HMR makes a lot more sense to me than paying over $100 for that Toynami Box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Paying around $200 for the HMR makes a lot more sense to me than paying over $100 for that Toynami Box.

That went right over my head. $100 Toynami box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sqidd said:

That went right over my head. $100 Toynami box?

One of the US manufacturers sells really crappy valkyries. Think HMR, except without any sort of quality or engineering. Worse than the Kitz Concept.

They are currently selling one of theirs which is packaged in a 100% ripoff of old Takatoku boxing, anc charging $100 for it.

Some people are buying it purely for the nostalgia packaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

One of the US manufacturers sells really crappy valkyries. Think HMR, except without any sort of quality or engineering. Worse than the Kitz Concept.

They are currently selling one of theirs which is packaged in a 100% ripoff of old Takatoku boxing, anc charging $100 for it.

Some people are buying it purely for the nostalgia packaging.

Roger that.

 

I got the Kitz thing because it was cheap and Scorched Earth didn't slam it too hard. I'll be sure to stay away from one you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I didn't buy anything yet.

The feeBay price on that Focker was silly. That's how I ended up here. I didn't/don't think $178 + shipping is too bad on Mandrake. Am I incorrect? I'd love to find some 1/60's for that.

 

I'm a Focker dork. I like all things Focker. I have a Yamato 1/48, Yamato 1/60, Arcadia 1/60 and a New Kitz 1/72. All with S&S parts. I even got a YF-29 Focker (30th anniversary)! I will absolutely be getting a couple (probably three) of DX's when they come out.  I figured a HMR would siut the trend.;)

As long as you know what you're getting in to, that's fine.  I just didn't want you to pay that price expecting something super-high end based on the price, then being surprised when you get a ~1/100 scale valk sent to you.

Seems like you do have a lot of Fockers, so I can see wanting a 1/100 scale one.  Still, I'd personally put that kind of cash towards a Focker VF-0S, but that is me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

As long as you know what you're getting in to, that's fine.  I just didn't want you to pay that price expecting something super-high end based on the price, then being surprised when you get a ~1/100 scale valk sent to you.

Seems like you do have a lot of Fockers, so I can see wanting a 1/100 scale one.  Still, I'd personally put that kind of cash towards a Focker VF-0S, but that is me.

Nice way to mention the 0S, haha. If that other thread was asking for the best Focker period, without a doubt, it would be the Arcadia 0S. Such perfection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sqidd is your decision but I agree with @HardlyNever that for the price, I will switch to getting a VF-1S roy in 1/60 (Yamato or Arcadia).

I can even get a copy of 1/48 Yamato Roy for that price (if you are patient).

I do not stick to a particular scale so I am flexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

For reference (following for US):

  • SAL (Small Packet) ships Japan Post, and then hands off to USPS once it gets through customs. It usually takes ~2-3 weeks. Mandarake ships Registered SAL which has tracking and requires a signature.
  • EMS is like SAL, except it costs more and is faster, usually within a week, sometimes within 3 days (for me).
  • DHL/FedEx are roughly the same cost/time profile as EMS. Usually EMS ends up cheapest for me, but YMMV.

For ordering from Mandarake, if I see something I want to get I'll generally search whatever else is available at that store to add into the shipment. Select SAL for shipping, and put "if SAL unavailable use cheapest of EMS/DHL" in the comment field.

Also note there is also SAL (not small packet) shipment. Usually costs a bit less than EMS, but has SAL delivery times. Generally I don't bother as EMS is only slightly more expensive.

I would like also to add this as reference for US.

Registered SAL insured up to Y6000
EMS insured up to Y20000
DHL/FedEx insured for up to 19SDR per kilogram of the actual weight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

 Still, I'd personally put that kind of cash towards a Focker VF-0S, but that is me.

I agree with you. I absolutely LOVE the VF-0S! I think it's got really pretty lines. Plus, well, it's a Focker! Jenius and I chatted about it through PM's. He really, really cautioned against one because they are so prone to breakage. It's a bit of a gamble getting one. Even MISB. I'm torn. It's still on my list of must have. But I'm going to have to wait for just the right deal on that guy.

 

I'm holding off on the HMR for right now. I'm not feeling super warm and fuzzy about $200. And I don't have plans at this point to get the entire HMR line.

 

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice way to mention the 0S, haha. If that other thread was asking for the best Focker period, without a doubt, it would be the Arcadia 0S. Such perfection. 

Yeah, that is one sexy Valk for sure. I absolutely love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see much (if anything) on the VF-2. I can't find anything on Scorched Earth. It's a pretty looking piece (I think). Why so little love?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.55cfd7b98d31cbf3a55c3a4259a40184.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay question, i know a few of you guys have the fext owl armour.

How is the fitting and is it worth getting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I suck at this!

 

Another Jenius review!

I wish i got Nexx's version, TBH. I love how you can store the gun on the leg armor. It bothers me Sylvie's version did not come with that feature :angry:

I can't recall if it was like this in the animation or not. I do agree, there is not enough love for the Macross II basterd children. On the other hand, sometimes i want to display Sylvie's separately, since the VF-2SS looks nothing like it's VF-1 cousins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sqidd said:

I agree with you. I absolutely LOVE the VF-0S! I think it's got really pretty lines. Plus, well, it's a Focker! Jenius and I chatted about it through PM's. He really, really cautioned against one because they are so prone to breakage. It's a bit of a gamble getting one. Even MISB. I'm torn. It's still on my list of must have. But I'm going to have to wait for just the right deal on that guy.

 

I'm holding off on the HMR for right now. I'm not feeling super warm and fuzzy about $200. And I don't have plans at this point to get the entire HMR line.

 

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

 

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, that is one sexy Valk for sure. I absolutely love it!

I’m not sure what @jenius mentioned to you and you should definitely consider it strongly but I know of no issues with breakage on the Arcadia VF-1S. There are definite issues with the 0A and 0D that came before but those issues were addressed, resulting in what I consider the finest Valk toy made and just recently barely edged out by the new DX VF-1. Some people did mention micro cracks appearing on the wrist but only cosmetic and no functional effect. I’ve had mine open sinc day one and it has mostly been holding a relatively heavy gunpod and no sign of cracks. It seems to be an uncommon issue and even if there, a non issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sqidd said:

I agree with you. I absolutely LOVE the VF-0S! I think it's got really pretty lines. Plus, well, it's a Focker! Jenius and I chatted about it through PM's. He really, really cautioned against one because they are so prone to breakage. It's a bit of a gamble getting one. Even MISB. I'm torn. It's still on my list of must have. But I'm going to have to wait for just the right deal on that guy.

 

I'm holding off on the HMR for right now. I'm not feeling super warm and fuzzy about $200. And I don't have plans at this point to get the entire HMR line.

 

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

FYI there's a Premium Finish VF-0S Roy as well, which to my knowledge has no breakage issues at all.

There's also an upcoming Premium Finish VF-0D which should also include those same fixes. Pre-orders not open yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly suggest getting the old Hi-Metal VF-1S Focker instead of the HMR version. It's the proper white and can be found for less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Penguin sushi said:

Okay question, i know a few of you guys have the fext owl armour.

How is the fitting and is it worth getting?

The chest piece is a little loose, but otherwise, I highly recommend it.  For $40 or so, it's absolutely worth it.  Double, double barrel strike cannons FTW! :diablo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Penguin sushi said:

Okay question, i know a few of you guys have the fext owl armour.

How is the fitting and is it worth getting?

It’s very good quality and fits nicely. Not quite as perfect as the official GBP but that thing is basically perfection. The backdrop, stand and extra parts for the VF-1 it comes with are great bonuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

FYI there's a Premium Finish VF-0S Roy as well, which to my knowledge has no breakage issues at all.

There's also an upcoming Premium Finish VF-0D which should also include those same fixes. Pre-orders not open yet.

Yeah, I've seen the premiums. Right now I'm having a hard time eating the $600+ I'm seeing them go for on eBay.  The $630 + shipping on NY (unavailable) and the $550 + shipping on Mandrake (also unavailable).

I'll be trying to get in on the VF-0D pre order. Fingers crossed.

Jenius did say that the Yamato VF-0S/Ghost pack units were much better. Still fragile, but much better. I just scored one MISB for $350. That seems like a pretty damn good find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, I've seen the premiums. Right now I'm having a hard time eating the $600+ I'm seeing them go for on eBay.  The $630 + shipping on NY (unavailable) and the $550 + shipping on Mandrake (also unavailable).

I'll be trying to get in on the VF-0D pre order. Fingers crossed.

Jenius did say that the Yamato VF-0S/Ghost pack units were much better. Still fragile, but much better. I just scored one MISB for $350. That seems like a pretty damn good find.

$600 is ridiculous for them, Just a couple weeks ago you could buy from Hobby Link Japan at MSRP. Edit: still available at HLJ, though Amazon Japan is cheaper.

You can buy from Amazon Japan (https://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロスゼロ-完全変形VF-0S-フェニックス-Premium-Finish/dp/B0794Y1G4S)

Below is the cost with DHL (<1week) shipping to the US, fulfilled through Amazon. The price on the Amazon page includes Japanese tax, which gets removed with international shipping.

Order Summary
Items:    ¥46,111
Shipping & handling:    ¥1,200
Order total:    ¥47,311
 

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

$600 is ridiculous for them, Just a couple weeks ago you could buy from Hobby Link Japan at MSRP. Edit: still available at HLJ, though Amazon Japan is cheaper.

You can buy from Amazon Japan (https://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロスゼロ-完全変形VF-0S-フェニックス-Premium-Finish/dp/B0794Y1G4S)

Below is the cost with DHL (<1week) shipping to the US, fulfilled through Amazon. The price on the Amazon page includes Japanese tax, which gets removed with international shipping.

Order Summary
Items:    ¥46,111
Shipping & handling:    ¥1,200
Order total:    ¥47,311
 

Man! All the tricks I need to learn (I am learning though). Amazon Japan. I didn't know there was a such a things. And $450 shipped is a lot easier to swallow. Thanks!

 

It appears that I have to sign up through Amazon JP? My US credentials aren't working. Is that correct?

I hit translate (Chrome) on the page but it's still mostly Japanese. Is there a button on the Amazon JP page that I can hit to switch to English? The site looks like it's laid out just like the US site. Maybe open the US site in one window and the JP site in the other to help navigate? Thanks1

Edited by sqidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Man! All the tricks I need to learn (I am learning though). Amazon Japan. I didn't know there was a such a things. And $450 shipped is a lot easier to swallow. Thanks!

No problem, after a while you learn the various vendors (and lines, and manufacturers) and what they're good for.

Amazon Japan is the king if you want something that comes in a box too big for SAL. Their international shipping (if it's offered) is rock-bottom pricing and fast. I've had stuff show up 2 days later in California. They generally don't discount much, but price+shipping can save you a bundle if you want speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

No problem, after a while you learn the various vendors (and lines, and manufacturers) and what they're good for.

Amazon Japan is the king if you want something that comes in a box too big for SAL. Their international shipping (if it's offered) is rock-bottom pricing and fast. I've had stuff show up 2 days later in California. They generally don't discount much, but price+shipping can save you a bundle if you want speed.

Excellent, thank you. I was probably editing the above post when you were typing. Here is what I added:

It appears that I have to sign up through Amazon JP? My US credentials aren't working. Is that correct?

I hit translate (Chrome) on the page but it's still mostly Japanese. Is there a button on the Amazon JP page that I can hit to switch to English? The site looks like it's laid out just like the US site. Maybe open the US site in one window and the JP site in the other to help navigate? Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Excellent, thank you. I was probably editing the above post when you were typing. Here is what I added:

It appears that I have to sign up through Amazon JP? My US credentials aren't working. Is that correct?

I hit translate (Chrome) on the page but it's still mostly Japanese. Is there a button on the Amazon JP page that I can hit to switch to English? The site looks like it's laid out just like the US site. Maybe open the US site in one window and the JP site in the other to help navigate? Thanks!

 

Yes, you need a separate Amazon account for Amazon Japan (you can't use your US one).  They are the same company, but separate entities.  Which also means you won't have Amazon Prime (unless you pay for that on your Japanese account).

One thing to look out for when buying from Amazon Japan is if they ship internationally.  On some items they do, some they don't (I think it depends on who is actually doing the fulfillment).

This thread has a good list if you're just getting importing Macross stuff.  Another thing to consider is Yahoo Japan auctions (it is like Japanese ebay).  You'll have to pay a middle-man fee (there are several middle-man companies, like Buyee), but even after that you can sometimes get pretty good deals there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Excellent, thank you. I was probably editing the above post when you were typing. Here is what I added:

It appears that I have to sign up through Amazon JP? My US credentials aren't working. Is that correct?

I hit translate (Chrome) on the page but it's still mostly Japanese. Is there a button on the Amazon JP page that I can hit to switch to English? The site looks like it's laid out just like the US site. Maybe open the US site in one window and the JP site in the other to help navigate? Thanks!

 

Yeah, you need to sign up with a new account.

There's an option for English Language, look for the globe near the right side of the header.

810161965_AmazonJapan.thumb.png.b044a25b26fb51a06a342e84297a091e.png

I also suggest setting up a Japanese shipping address with Tenso, on the off-chance there's something up that won't ship to the US on pre-order night. This is the only way I managed to snag a DX VF-1S Hikaru pre-order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! I'm putting a cheat sheet together on all of this stuff that I can refer to until it's drilled into me old noggin'

Again, thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brownie-project-2.gif.cb5617c4df01cb0b2c07c276bf841283.gifanimation-gif3.gif.564680f34873974b5ba1ef8e4ce02c20.gif

Sort of refined it a bit.

Edited by vlenhoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, vlenhoff said:

On the other hand, sometimes i want to display Sylvie's separately, since the VF-2SS looks nothing like it's VF-1 cousins.

They look excellent next to a VF-4.

I still think the guys who did the MII designs just made the 2JA an updated version of the VF-1, and the 2SS an updated version of what little had been seen of the VF-4 at the time.

(and the Metal Siren... came straight out of the late 80s. The only thing it was missing was the giant hair and a cover of "talk dirty to me.")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HMR Monster up for grabs at two places.

(1) Manda - Complex for 18k yen. Condition:  Unopened, package damaged collapse

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1048724273&ref=list&dispCount=240&keyword=マクロス hi-metal r&lang=en

(2) Amiami - 19.5k yen (19,480 yen). Item A, Box B

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-017242-R

Note: Base on the weight of 2290 grams (as per Manda's listings), make sure that you have enough coverage to account for the weight difference. Also for Customs if your county of residence has it on imports!!

Edit: Forgot to add.. If your Monster gets stolen or missing, who then is responsible??

Edited by borgified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, borgified said:

 

Note: Base on the weight of 2290 grams (as per Manda's listings), make sure that you have enough coverage to account for the weight difference. Also for Customs if your county of residence has it on imports!!

Edit: Forgot to add.. If your Monster gets stolen or missing, who then is responsible??

I don't understand this? Coverage for weight difference? I don't know what that means??

Isn't the shipper responsible for something that gets damaged, stolen, etc? Pay with PayPal. If you don't get your stuff the side with the buyer 99.999999% of the time....don't they? What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mandarake does not quote shipping prices before you order the item, and the Monster is large enough/heavy enough it must be shipped EMS/FedEx/DHL.

If you get sticker shock at the shipping cost and decide not to pay, be prepared to be banned from the store as Mandarake does not take kindly to order cancellations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think shipping alone was something like $50 to $70 US Dollars when I bought mine.

Forum topics are riddled with stories of damaged or lost purchased and the trials of getting a replacement or refund.  Well maybe more in the DX YF-19 topic.  Long story short:  The seller is responsible for making the claim.  Getting them to submit a claim is the challenge.  And with the nature of this hobby, availability of replacements becomes a big issue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...