Hi-Metal R

joppewo

1 hour ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Impressive.

just find a way to hold the canopy in place and it’s perfect!

Yeah, I just rewatched that scene, and you're right.  The canopy never came off.  I posed it as if it was flying off because common sense told me there's no way in hell the canopy could stay attached at terminal velocity.

Edit: There, that's better!

IMG_20190424_014004913.thumb.jpg.5398b0afac123e1354833c447818ad16.jpg

Edited by Pontus

1 hour ago, Pontus said:

Yeah, I just rewatched that scene, and you're right.  The canopy never came off.  I posed it as if it was flying off because common sense told me there's no way in hell the canopy could stay attached at terminal velocity.

IMG_20190424_014004913.thumb.jpg.5398b0afac123e1354833c447818ad16.jpg

There is some jealousy happening right now! OMG!

2 hours ago, Pontus said:

a49.gif.531d1e44064c50487b5c0b1375148d5d.gif

8)

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

You need to print out some kind of sky background for that!

Jeez, I just cannot make you guys happy tonight.  I am by no means a toy photog, nor do I even understand basic principles of lighting, but here's the best I can do.  And I'll raise you one better by using the same scene in the background.

IMG_20190424_031821746.thumb.jpg.60409b5f1392f4540a15cbdd2da3c7fe.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Jeez, I just cannot make you guys happy tonight.  I am by no means a toy photog, nor do I even understand basic principles of lighting, but here's the best I can do.  And I'll raise you one better by using the same scene in the background.

IMG_20190424_031821746.thumb.jpg.60409b5f1392f4540a15cbdd2da3c7fe.jpg

Looks fantastic! :good:

13 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Gotta hand it to you, that's nice handiwork.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

@ScrambledValkyrie did mention ‘mode’ in Fighter mode. So I guess, Gerwalk and disconnected fuselage doesn’t count. :unknw:

Bingo. While I’d like to have a seated “Minmei/Minmay” figure, Hikaru spent a good amount of time all by himself in the VF-1D, and most of that was in fighter mode, as @rdrunner displayed.

Nice re-enactment work, @Pontus!

3 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Bingo. While I’d like to have a seated “Minmei/Minmay” figure, Hikaru spent a good amount of time all by himself in the VF-1D, and most of that was in fighter mode, as @rdrunner displayed.

Nice re-enactment work, @Pontus!

Thanks @ScrambledValkyrie, I love the fighter mode but I would still love to get a sitting minmei figure with it too.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That's not a good excuse for Bandai cheaping out. 

I agree, I'm still annoyed about this and the back panel.

In the TV series, Minmei did sit in the back seat of the Gerwalk, so I don't understand why they won't include the sitting figure.  For the super Ostrich, they had both sets of pilot/passenger figures to let you reenact the scene in space (space suit Hikaru, Minmei) and on earth (Hikaru and Misa). And they also painted the back panel correctly. 

I guess they made a business decision to cut costs where possible, and perhaps 90% of the customers won't even notice/care about these anyway.

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks @ScrambledValkyrie, I love the fighter mode but I would still love to get a sitting minmei figure with it too.

I agree, I'm still annoyed about this and the back panel.

In the TV series, Minmei did sit in the back seat of the Gerwalk, so I don't understand why they won't include the sitting figure.  For the super Ostrich, they had both sets of pilot/passenger figures to let you reenact the scene in space (space suit Hikaru, Minmei) and on earth (Hikaru and Misa). And they also painted the back panel correctly. 

I guess they made a business decision to cut costs where possible, and perhaps 90% of the customers won't even notice/care about these anyway.

It looks like a business decision.  The Ostrich doesn't look like it sold well.  This 1d has fewer parts and didn't see as much use as the Ostrich on screen so they cut costs.

I'm annoyed too, they already had a minmei so they should have included it.  Same with the back panel.

15 minutes ago, beatsing said:

It looks like a business decision.  The Ostrich doesn't look like it sold well.  This 1d has fewer parts and didn't see as much use as the Ostrich on screen so they cut costs.

I'm annoyed too, they already had a minmei so they should have included it.  Same with the back panel.

Also the super-O is from DYRL, whereas the VF-1D is from SDFM, and we all know which of these is wildly more popular in Japan.

56 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Also the super-O is from DYRL, whereas the VF-1D is from SDFM, and we all know which of these is wildly more popular in Japan.

Actually I didn't know that was the case in Japan until you mentioned it.  I would have thought that the locals in Japan preferred SDFM because it was broadcast on local TV, and that really is what made the franchise take off in the first place.  Or did I misunderstand what you said?

I got my 4 in from Amazon Japan yesterday.  Thanks to the original poster of that deal.  I transformed one into jet fighter mode.  It is cool but I think I prefer robot mode as above so I'ma transform it back.  Really cool toy and I didn't manage to break anything transforming it so I'm pretty happy :)

26 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Actually I didn't know that was the case in Japan until you mentioned it.  I would have thought that the locals in Japan preferred SDFM because it was broadcast on local TV, and that really is what made the franchise take off in the first place.  Or did I misunderstand what you said?

Nope, apparently DYRL is the big one over there. Which explains why the Arcadia and Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1s are DYRL rather than TV, and the DYRL valkyries are more common releases.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Nope, apparently DYRL is the big one over there. Which explains why the Arcadia and Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1s are DYRL rather than TV, and the DYRL valkyries are more common releases.

I personally like the color schemes and square hands of DYRL.  It seems more realistic to me.  SDFM has better missiles though.  The animation was a lot more detailed and less cartoony in DYRL so it's got my vote.  

I didn't see DYRL until I was an adult and while I do like it, I have no attachment to the schemes (other than Focker's) so for toy buying, I much prefer SDF Macross since I fixated so much on the show and wished for toys from it back when I was little.

21 minutes ago, jenius said:

I didn't see DYRL until I was an adult and while I do like it, I have no attachment to the schemes (other than Focker's) so for toy buying, I much prefer SDF Macross since I fixated so much on the show and wished for toys from it back when I was little.

^This.  To me SDFM was the only Macross series that I watched as a kid, and I have long been frustrated about the bias on the DYRL scheme in toys/figures released by Yamato/Arcadia (I still don't have a TV scheme 1/60 Focker 1S with the black arrows on the head and grey jumpsuit pilot figure).  I am hoping that the 1/48 DX series would change that.  And HM-R as well, if they can stay on trend and release more of the SDFM variations.

I much prefer the TV schemes as well, mainly because they are more varied and interesting. While they look good, the DYRL schemes are pretty repetitive and/or more limited.

This makes sense when you consider the scope of each medium, and the need to tell so much story in the shorter time frame of the movie.