Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Not sure. When we originally discussed these it was pointed out that the M&M’s are “similar” to what is shown of them in the Masterfile Book. Though, the MF scheme has a white underside. Discussion on page 541.

Chris

Sorry to be off topic a bit, but general question: What's the consensus that the Macross Hi-Metal R line is going to continue (the rest of the Destroids, Macross Plus, enemy stuff, etc). 

Judging from what's on the horizon VF-1D, etc, is the line still expected to come through with the complete (or almost) line? 

Wasn't there a "preview" of illustrations of what was to come from a few years back? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by fifbeat

1 minute ago, jenius said:

There was the poll for next release that the Monster won. There are still lots of items from that poll that haven't been made but we keep inching forward.

Wait a minute, so the next release will be the monster? Fill me in. I'm slow. =) 

40 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

The monster came out a while back. It’s still available for a decent price but the shipping is considerable. 

For those who have not ordered the Monster, I would have to say without a doubt this is the best Mecha and a testament of the engineering that goes into the HMR line. The Monster is a definite must have for any collection. The detailing is amazing and the articulations are superb.

2 minutes ago, fifbeat said:

So did the Monsters go out of production, then back into production due to a vote? (hence, it's steady price range). 

Has any of the HMR's ever go through the above situation? 

They just haven’t sold them all yet. They have huge boxes, are huge themselves, and they’re north of $200. I bought one a while ago on sale, but it’s hard to justify when it costs so much.

2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

They just haven’t sold them all yet. They have huge boxes, are huge themselves, and they’re north of $200. I bought one a while ago on sale, but it’s hard to justify when it costs so much.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. 

34 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I have toyed with the idea of getting one, but I really don't have space to display it, and it's pricey to ship. There was a point where Ami Ami had box damaged Monsters for ¥13000 or so before shipping, and I nearly pulled the trigger.

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

Shipping AND storing the beast are brutal but agreed, totally worth it. I love my Monster.

Hi Jenius, will it fit in an ikea detolf or are the cannons too long? 

Thinking of getting a box damaged one in person from Mandarake or Jungle when I’m in Tokyo in a couple weeks. I had wanted to order one before but the hefty shipping scared me off. 

1 minute ago, rdrunner said:

Hi Jenius, will it fit in an ikea detolf or are the cannons too long? 

Thinking of getting a box damaged one in person from Mandarake or Jungle when I’m in Tokyo in a couple weeks. I had wanted to order one before but the hefty shipping scared me off. 

I have mine in a detolf.  You are basically restricted to a cannons-in-the-air artillery-style pose(if you want to close the door), but it can fit.

2 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

I have mine in a detolf.  You are basically restricted to a cannons-in-the-air artillery-style pose(if you want to close the door), but it can fit.

Good to know, I would prefer to fit it in the detolf. Many thanks!

Now the hard part - finding one in store at a reasonable price, *and* it surviving three flights from Tokyo to home in the US....

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

You must be bringing a massive suitcase. :shok:

I have no idea how big the box is, will it not fit in a regular suitcase?? Or worst case scenario I will have to roll it up in bubble wrap in my hand luggage and fold the box, pack the accessories separately....

Just now, rdrunner said:

I have no idea how big the box is, will it not fit in a regular suitcase?? Or worst case scenario I will have to roll it up in bubble wrap in my hand luggage and fold the box, pack the accessories separately....

I am not at home so I can't measure it, but it's a pretty much a cube like 18 inches on each side.

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

I am not at home so I can't measure it, but it's a pretty much a cube like 18 inches on each side.

Thanks, that helps. It might be a bit of a squeeze to fit into my luggage, and knowing how they handle luggages, it probably won’t survive. It will have to be hand carried somehow - I may have to resort to packing contents and box separately. 

16 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks, that helps. It might be a bit of a squeeze to fit into my luggage, and knowing how they handle luggages, it probably won’t survive. It will have to be hand carried somehow - I may have to resort to packing contents and box separately. 

It's a big box.

Iirc, the separate cannons are very light plastic tubes, but the body is rather not as light as the cannons due to some diecast (inner frame of the feet?) mixed in.

edit:

ya know what?

if you haven't, yet, then just check out jenius' review of it to get a sense of the heft and sizing and stuff:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=8442

Edited by treatment

That's Mrs. Jenius' review! She was just saying she wants to get back in front of the camera.

HLJ actually gives you all the info you need in their item description:

Item Size/Weight:
30.2cm x 30.0cm x 27.1cm / 2290g

If I were you, I would buy it online and ship it. Even if you could fit it in the suitcase, lugging that thing around would be a chore since it's like a perfect cube.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Got mine on sale from HLJ, and combined one gigantic EMS shipment with a bunch of other stuff. Paid like $100 just for the shipping.

I just made a large order similar to yours (my shipping came up to $100 as well). With a big ass box like this, will it be an issue with customs? 

19 minutes ago, fifbeat said:

I just made a large order similar to yours (my shipping came up to $100 as well). With a big ass box like this, will it be an issue with customs? 

No problem for me, coming into California. Ought to be fine for you as well. It was one bigass box though.

Edited by Sanity is Optional
Ducking autocorrect

28 minutes ago, fifbeat said:

8 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

No problem for me, coming into California. Ought to be fine for you as well. It was one bigass box though.

8 minutes ago, jenius said:

I've gotten some HUGE boxes from Japan, never had an issue with customs. No guarantees of course... I've had smaller boxes get absolutely thrashed by customs. I don't think the size will increase the odds of issues.

Most likely that customs will snag it and slap a hefty import tax on it.

Hmmm.. This is just an guestimate for me in Canada if I was to get the Monster.

Let's say 18k yen (from Manda), tack on the fees and etcetera as it might be close to roughly 24k yen (or more due to weight and dimensions). Reaches the CBSA in Richmond. B.C. and slaps a $70ish CND import tax on top of that. 

Edit: Grand total $366 CND after revision (not $310 CDN)... :vava:

Edited by borgified

13 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

What's an import fee? :unknw:

Here's a rundown of what we have in Canada if anything is sent by mail and here's a brief description..

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

TL/DR: We Canadian's get hosed if anything is sent through airmail (Canada Post) and they declare a value of the goods upon inspection. Sometimes we do get lucky and no import fee/tax needs to be paid.

Edit: I got dinged for roughly $48 CDN in taxes for the DX YF-19 Full Set that I got from Manda at 26k yen from Utsunomiya.

Edited by borgified