Hi-Metal R

joppewo

9 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

So it seems that everything that debuted as protoypes for the HMR line are coming to fruition. So when does Bandai begin releasing the VF-0 Phoenix and SV-51. Looks like Arcadia is being forced out.

HMR Macross Zero toys would be sweet.  So would HMR Macross Plus toys.

Awesome!  It's great to see some Bandai love for the VF-4!

I have to admit, I'm slightly (ever so slightly) disappointed they didn't try to improve on the Arcadia model.    For the VF-1 they came up with an interesting slider mechanism for the arms, set the head down to get rid of the priest collar, and got a little bit better arm and back pack proportions - possibly at the cost of some proportions in fighter mode, but a noticeable attempt at improvement.  Their VF-2SS nailed all the things the Evolution toys version got wrong.  Their VF-19 included a sliding neck cover and hinged leg covers and seemed to beef up the head and upper body where Arcadia got the chunky thighs and legs.  Bandai at least seems to have looked pretty carefully at their competition and tried to improve upon what's already been done.

This, at least to my eye, looks like an almost perfectly scaled down replica of the Yamato/Arcadia VF-4 (most of the differences I see are just in the angle of that Obari thrust and how it effects the look of everything around it) - I keep wanting to see a collapsing mechanism in the lower legs to make them a little more proportionate to the upper body, slightly longer upper arms, a more accurate head sculpt, etc.  It looks great, don't get me wrong (at friggin' 1/100 to boot) and if they go DX I'd love to see what they can pull off - but I can't help but feel like somebody at Bandai was just like "I got a copy of Yamato's CAD, lets scale it down and make the screws bigger so it doesn't fall apart".....

Heh, we are most critical of the things we love the most are we not . . . . .

Still, I look forward to it - a VF-4 that won't cost more than my first car!  And at that scale - holy crap, there is no denying that bird looks sweet, such a beautiful plane!

I could care less about the color of the feet. I'm more concerned with the overall sculpt of the fighter mode. Judging by the magazine pics, it looks off. Like it's too short or maybe the engine housing is a too big...

Then again it could just be the photo angle...

I'm still buying one though.

Just curious, but does anyone have one of the old HM lines, or older HMR?  Have you experienced any yellowing of the plastic?  I have only had this issue with my Yamato valks out of all my toys, and only the ones that are white or even light grey, but not any other colors.  Just wondering if anyone experienced yellowing with their bandai figures that have White / Light Grey.  Thanks in advance.

44 minutes ago, Arthurius said:

Just curious, but does anyone have one of the old HM lines, or older HMR?  Have you experienced any yellowing of the plastic?  I have only had this issue with my Yamato valks out of all my toys, and only the ones that are white or even light grey, but not any other colors.  Just wondering if anyone experienced yellowing with their bandai figures that have White / Light Grey.  Thanks in advance.

I have original HMs for Hikaru and Focker. None of them has shown signs of yellowing

I have multiples of the original Hi Metal VF-1S and VF-1A and none of them have any noticeable signs of yellowing. That said, they’re made of a different color plastic that might tend to resist (or camoflage) yellowing better than the bright white of the Hikaru VF-1J — like @jenius, I’ve definitely seen multiple examples of that one yellowing to varying amounts.

3 hours ago, Arthurius said:

I don't think there's any HMR as of yet that shows any yellowing since the HMR line is relatively rather new and that they're usually more grey plastic than the  white plastic of the original 1/100 Hi-Metal.

However, I think Jenius or one of the CDX folks (josh? veef? etc)  has some yellowed 1/100 Hi-Metal VF-1J or VF-1S Roy.

The most severely yellowed valk I've seen over the years were usually the old genuine Bandai 1/55 Strike VF-1S (and some of the Bandai Super VF-1S variants) and the 1/55 Jetfire.  Other than the various Joons and bootlegs, that is.

Maybe you can google it.  You might find some yellowed HCM or something, too.

3 minutes ago, treatment said:

I don't think there's any HMR as of yet that shows any yellowing since the HMR line is relatively rather new and that they're usually more grey plastic than the  white plastic of the original 1/100 Hi-Metal.

However, I think Jenius or one of the CDX folks (josh? veef? etc)  has some yellowed 1/100 Hi-Metal VF-1J or VF-1S Roy.

The most severely yellowed valk I've seen over the years were usually the old genuine Bandai 1/55 Strike VF-1S (and some of the Bandai Super VF-1S variants) and the 1/55 Jetfire.  Other than the various Joons and bootlegs, that is.

Maybe you can google it.  You might find some yellowed HCM or something, too.

I have seen some bad cases of yellowing in Bandai's VF-25F renewal, for a relatively "new" valk.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d317337316

There've been a few folks here with the original DX VF-25s that eventually turned piss-yellow.  Not sure if this included the renewals, but the topic was active not that long ago.

The HMR line has pretty much avoided bright white though, for better or for worse.  I think the lightest of the bunch are Hikaru's VF-1J, which I'm pretty sure is just a light gray color, and the Messer-styled VF-1S, which might actually be white.

7 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I have multiples of the original Hi Metal VF-1S and VF-1A and none of them have any noticeable signs of yellowing. That said, they’re made of a different color plastic that might tend to resist (or camoflage) yellowing better than the bright white of the Hikaru VF-1J — like @jenius, I’ve definitely seen multiple examples of that one yellowing to varying amounts.

Same here.  None of my HMs have yellowed.  I’ve seen one yellowed HM VF-1J at a convention once.

5 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

DC183DB2-6D36-4F0B-B3E0-8EEDE08183B7.jpeg

B792330B-55E6-42F2-872E-84C1B97786E6.jpeg

759AD4D3-A49D-4FDE-84C2-63D9969D0857.jpeg

4C7A4C89-0554-48C2-B4F6-AF242EDC868C.jpeg

Probably the most exciting thing I've seen from the event. Gonna have to prepare another scaled down decal sheet for this baby. ^_^

Are there supposed to be modex numbers on the wing flaps like that? Seems a bit wonky to me. 

Edited by Lolicon

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Probably the most exciting thing I've seen from the event. Gonna have to prepare another scaled down decal sheet for this baby. ^_^

Are there supposed to be modex numbers on the wing flaps like that? Seems a bit wonky to me. 

6B9CAD23-178E-475D-AA91-C66B1D865B50.jpeg.6d7ecf9ba1f2d5ba5ff3b7742122b49e.jpeg

No modex seen on the rudders! ... break out the rubbing alcohol! ;)

30 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Got to take care of that that knee joint! It looks a bit fragile since its a HMR...

If it's metal like the inner structure of the VF-2SS it should be OK, but you are right, considering the size of this HMR, we need to be careful with the joint.

43 minutes ago, seti88 said:

6B9CAD23-178E-475D-AA91-C66B1D865B50.jpeg.6d7ecf9ba1f2d5ba5ff3b7742122b49e.jpeg

No modex seen on the rudders! ... break out the rubbing alcohol! ;)

Based on my experience, it’s going to take something stronger than that to remove Bandai’s tampo paint.

43 minutes ago, Big s said:

To be honest, I’m probably gonna leave this in fighter mode. I like the other modes, but the vf4 always looks better  in fighter.

How about 3 to display one in each mode? :D 

But seriously, I’m in the same camp. The VF-4 just looks so good in fighter, especially compared to other modes.

I was looking at the numbering on the wings. Looks odd, is all. I'll probably take them off with some turpenoid (much more effective than alcohol). Not sure why all the modex numbers are 01 when it should be 101 like on the front fuselage. Guess the UN Spacy is really cutting back on the painting budget.

906069581_vf-4weirdmodex.jpg.1d1f276e6b07a61f26096c51e803c0ce.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I was looking at the numbering on the wings. Looks odd, is all. I'll probably take them off with some turpenoid (much more effective than alcohol). Not sure why all the modex numbers are 01 when it should be 101 like on the front fuselage. Guess the UN Spacy is really cutting back on the painting budget.

What I find interesting is that the tail wings say "SDF-01B". Was that MegaRoad?

43 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I forgot the name so I just mentioned alcohol ..:lol: and adding the tailfins cos they weren’t in the screen grab...was there a screen grab of the wings as well I don’t thk I recalled it...

such a huge space wasted they could have put a tampo called mega road too hehe..macrossworld would explode!

Edited by seti88

52 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Those "01" markings on the wings and the "SDF-01B" markings on the tailfins are also seen on the old Musashiya kit.  It's a Kawamori illustration so it's legit.

musa-vf4b.jpg